All Things Richard Pitino Assistants UPDATED 4/4: Kimani Young reportedly on staff

+1

Saul Smith had one too many beers one night and got behind the wheel of car and drove home. Big mistake but simply ONE bad decision at the wrong time.

This new asst. coach was a big time mover and dealer of pot.

If we want to assume the worst in both guys, then we can likely assume Saul didn't make ONE bad decision. He likely made many, many bad decisions. Just happened to get caught ONE time. Thank goodness it wasn't worse.

Either way, both guys made mistakes. Hope both continue to recover from those mistakes.

Or parents could look at him as someone who has been to the lowest of lows and turned his life around. Someone who could speak from experience about the temptations of life to their son and what can happen if you make the wrong choice.

And I think that's what you say to counter the negative recruiting that will undoubtedly be used against Minnesota. What parents want to know is that their son is going to be in good hands when they send him here. To borrow from the Mod Squad intro, this guy has been there and back again. He will have a lot of valid life experience to relate to these kids, some of whom will have negative influences. That starts to sound like a recruiting advantage, besides being a true asset to the program and the kids.

Young was undoubtedly a big man in trafficking at one time. I think this is a fascinating story - like Tiny said, a story of true redemption and rehabilitation. Some will be uncomfortable with this person being on staff. Those will tend to be people who love the idea of redemption but don't have enough faith to truly buy into it. Or love the concept at a distance but not close up.

And I think that's what you say to counter the negative recruiting that will undoubtedly be used against Minnesota. What parents want to know is that their son is going to be in good hands when they send him here. To borrow from the Mod Squad intro, this guy has been there and back again. He will have a lot of valid life experience to relate to these kids, some of whom will have negative influences. That starts to sound like a recruiting advantage, besides being a true asset to the program and the kids.

Young was undoubtedly a big man in trafficking at one time. I think this is a fascinating story - like Tiny said, a story of true redemption and rehabilitation. Some will be uncomfortable with this person being on staff. Those will tend to be people who love the idea of redemption but don't have enough faith to truly buy into it. Or love the concept at a distance but not close up.

Just to clarify, I am absolutely okay with him being on staff. I agree it is more of a positive story than a negative one.

Just pointing out this will likely be an item for negative recruiting and potentially a negative opinion from outside folks as well.

Just to clarify, I am absolutely okay with him being on staff. I agree it is more of a positive story than a negative one.

Just pointing out this will likely be an item for negative recruiting and potentially a negative opinion from outside folks as well.

And I want to clarify: I haven't been a Saul basher.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 8m
Kimani Young, who was also hired Wed., is the only Richard Pitino full-time assistant officially named to this point. #Gophers
Details
PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 10m
Former FIU assistant Mike Balado, who was hired yesterday, will be the director of basketball for the #Gophers.
Details

Looks like we only have one assistant at the moment.

This probably contributed to the confusion:

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 14s
Balado is currently acting as an assistant coach in recruiting until the full staff is hired. Then he'll take the operations spot. #Gophers

We are shelling out the big(ger) bucks for our assistants...

New Gophers basketball assistant coach Kimani Young will make a higher annual salary than any of the assistants earned on outgoing coach Tubby Smith's staff, according to information released Thursday, April 11, by the University of Minnesota.

Young, who is following head coach Richard Pitino from Florida International to the Gophers, signed a one-year agreement Wednesday for a salary of $185,000, according to the memorandum of understanding. Smith's top assistant, Ron Jirsa, made $161,916 last season.

Smith's other assistants were Vince Taylor ($151,126) and Tubby's son, Saul Smith ($91,755).

The Gophers' other staff hire Wednesday, Mike Balado, who also follows Pitino from FIU, will make $80,000 as director of basketball, according to his memorandum of understanding. Balado will temporarily act as an assistant coach in recruiting until Pitino hires his last two assistants.

Also can't believe Jirsa was the highest paid assistant. Seems like that should have been Taylor.

More from Marcus:

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 6m
Kimani Young will make $185K base salary. Pitino's top assistant to be named will make more. Tubby's top assistant Ron Jirsa made $161K base

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 5m
It makes sense to pay Pitino's assistants more. That just shows you are putting more money into the program. Good sign moving forward.

did Marcus forget we are paying coach p about a million less than tubby? Lots of room in salary budget for modest assistant bumps

Assuming Pitino works out, he'll probably get a raise every year. It's important to pay the assistant coaches well since they usually don't get raises like the head coach does.

Unless you're talking about renegotiating the contract, which is certainly possible, Pitino's base salary of 1.2m is basically split into 2 parts. 500k and 700k. The 700k is constant, and the 500k goes up at 5% per year. He then gets certain bonuses on top of those, but the big ones are for staying here for certain time periods. I forget the exact years, but the biggest ones are 2 400k bonuses built midway through and then towards or at the end of his contract

Saber, hang tough... Gopher Warrior will have all of the details in due time.

Unless you're talking about renegotiating the contract, which is certainly possible, Pitino's base salary of 1.2m is basically split into 2 parts. 500k and 700k. The 700k is constant, and the 500k goes up at 5% per year. He then gets certain bonuses on top of those, but the big ones are for staying here for certain time periods. I forget the exact years, but the biggest ones are 2 400k bonuses built midway through and then towards or at the end of his contract

Rich gets the 2 $400,000 bonus in 2016 going forward and in 2019

Ben Johnson takes over the spot held by Ron?

Reading between the lines of what Mike Ellis said on the air, I expect the lead assistant has yet to be named. I could have read that wrong, though.

"homerun hire" still coming according to Doogie for lead assistant- fwiw.

I was talking more about other team's inquiring about Pitino so then Teague will step up and over him a raise/extension. I'm anticipating many off seasons of wondering if Rich will stay or go.

I was talking more about other team's inquiring about Pitino so then Teague will step up and over him a raise/extension. I'm anticipating many off seasons of wondering if Rich will stay or go.

Let's look on the bright side. If RP is ultimately poached from us, nobody ever said we don't have a good old time with coaching hires on the GopherHole. :)

Let's look on the bright side. If RP is ultimately poached from us, nobody ever said we don't have a good old time with coaching hires on the GopherHole. :)

Rich has an out in his contract and that is, if L'ville comes calling which could be in oh about 5 yrs, 7 yrs.

Rich has an out in his contract and that is, if L'ville comes calling which could be in oh about 5 yrs, 7 yrs.

We might have something even more powerful and versatile than Photoshop by that time! Do we know how to make lemonade out of lemons or what?

We might have something even more powerful and versatile than Photoshop by that time! Do we know how to make lemonade out of lemons or what?

:confused: Sorry BG, you lost me on the Photoshop, but yes we do know how to make lemonade out of lemons. We should, because of all the experiences of the last decade or so.

I can honestly not beleive the amount of bias going on when people are talking about Kimani and Saul's mistakes. I have friends who in the past have dabbled in the same idiotic business of selling drugs. One of them did it for 8+ years, made a lot of money, and "worked his way up" in the business. Here is the kicker, the most he has everhad on him to sell was about 5 lbs. In that business, you don't just get handed 96 lbs, you work your way up to that. In my friends case it stated with selling in sizes of grams for many years, then ounces, and then many years later, once you have you've made many connections and earned the trust of those above you are you able to get in the business of moving pounds. 96 POINDS!? Are you f'ing kidding me - and Kimani has the nerve to call it a mistake, as if it only happened one time! News flash to you all, if he was moving around 96 pounds, he was in the game for 5-10 years at a minimum. I am all for second chances, but please do not compare this situation to Saul's DUI. They are two different situations. If you are all for Kimani being forgiven, then you should be the same way for Saul. In most states 1-2 ounces will get you a felony, and you all want to kiss a guy's arse just because our new coach likes him. Stop being so fair weather, please.

Your description of your friend is what should make you realize just how low a player our new Asst coach was...someone with 96 pounds is not a dealer...they are a mule. Street dealers don't carry that much (get robbed)...and big time operations never have cash and drugs in the same hands. They have someone collect the cash and someone else deliver the drugs. Often they use young kids for this.

While I haven't read the police report or anything...if he got busted with 96 pounds he more than likely was a mule and he more than likely rolled over on his contacts...which is why he only got a year. I'm not saying the guy never smoked a bowl or sold a dime bag...I'm just saying no self respecting drug dealer would be within 1 mile of that much stash...he was clearly a mule.

Your description of your friend is what should make you realize just how low a player our new Asst coach was...someone with 96 pounds is not a dealer...they are a mule. Street dealers don't carry that much (get robbed)...and big time operations never have cash and drugs in the same hands. They have someone collect the cash and someone else deliver the drugs. Often they use young kids for this.

While I haven't read the police report or anything...if he got busted with 96 pounds he more than likely was a mule and he more than likely rolled over on his contacts...which is why he only got a year. I'm not saying the guy never smoked a bowl or sold a dime bag...I'm just saying no self respecting drug dealer would be within 1 mile of that much stash...he was clearly a mule.

Another possibility - if Young got busted with 96 pounds, and only did a year, he may have dropped a dime on some higher-ups in the transaction as part of a plea bargain. If his defense was that "I was only holding it/handling it for someone else," then he would have to tell the cops who that someone else was in order to prove his story.

A positive commentary on Kimani Young from the Twin Cities media? Impossible!

But, here it is anyway:

It comes as no surprise here that people seem more concerned about what Kimani Young did 13 years ago than whether he can help coach and serve as a role model for young collegiate athletes.

Young, 39, was hired this week as an assistant to Minnesota Golden Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino. It was disclosed that Young served one year in federal prison in 2000 for a felony drug conviction that involved possession of 96 pounds of marijuana in Texas.

By all counts, the New York City native, widower and father of three has more than paid his dues. He has worked with at-risk youths and openly talked about his mistakes. The former University of Texas at El Paso basketball player and graduate has landed several assistant-coaching gigs. Yet, in an online poll conducted by this fine newspaper, a little more than 20 percent believe the conviction alone should have disqualified Young for the job.

We talk about giving folks second chances, particularly when we become the folks, but a lot of the time, it's just plain, old lip-service.

ANOTHER JOCK'S JOURNEY

It seems, in spite of his redemption, Young will continue to be judged in some manner by that mistake in his past.

"That's unfair and biased and just plain wrong," Jerome Graham told me upon hearing about Young and the scuttlebutt surrounding his conviction.

Graham, 33, a former Washburn High School hoops star, played college basketball for Boston University and graduated with a degree in psychology.

The North Minneapolis native came back home and landed a few jobs in the group-home and children's mental health fields, but they did not pay much, in his estimation. He also was beginning to gravitate toward a circle of former buddies dabbling in the drug-selling business.

Like Young, "I got into a bad position financially and saw an opportunity to make some fast money," Graham said. "I lost focus, but in the end, you make your own choices."

Then came a bust in 2005 when Graham and an associate were stopped by police following a brief car chase.

Graham learned then that you don't run away from cops; he said he was pulled from the vehicle and roughed up. The officers reported that they found 1 1/2 grams (0.05 ounce) of crack cocaine in a search and pinned it on Graham, although he said it was not his.

"But, you know, given that I had been selling drugs, the arrest, I guess, covered that," Graham said. He was charged with felony possession, fleeing a police officer and resisting arrest.

REJECTION, THEN A JOB

Like Young, Graham had no previous criminal history. He was offered a diversionary program for first-time offenders that would keep him out of prison and dismiss the felony conviction if he stayed law-abiding for three years. He took the deal.

Then, Graham found out the conviction-dismissal was about as good as the paper it was written on.

He landed a job at a gas station for $7.15 an hour and held it for two weeks, when a letter arrived informing him that he was terminated. The reason? A criminal background check disclosed that he had been arrested for a felony.

"In many cases, I learned that the arrest, whether you are innocent or guilty, is just as bad as having a conviction," Graham said.

Unlike Young, Graham had a heck of a time landing work in his chosen discipline. He applied for jobs in the social-service and mental health fields, seeking the lowest-ranked positions. He never got a call or a reply. The same happened with department-store jobs.

"It was like that psychology degree meant nothing; I might as well have thrown it into the garbage," he said. "I couldn't even get an interview."

Two years ago, Graham applied for a job with Amicus, a Minneapolis-based organization that helps released offenders find education, jobs and housing opportunities. They hired him on the spot.

He began as a specialized case manager, counseling offenders soon to be released from prison. He now is a project coordinator for a juvenile-offender mentorship project affiliated with the University of Minnesota. The mission is to help juvenile offenders graduate from high school and attend college.

"I love this work because I want to help people," said Graham, a father of four. He sees in Young a kindred spirit.

"Here's a guy who did what he did in the past, and they still want to scrutinize him for it," Graham said. "He did not kill someone. He never molested a kid.

"Everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance," he added. "That mistake is a choice one makes. But people need to be given the benefit of the doubt and prove that they are a good person that cares about society."

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_23008016/ruben-rosario-lets-focus-new-u-assistant-coachs

RandBall ‏@RandBall 2h
#gophers pitino says he's close to finalizing staff: "I need guys who complement me, not just yes-men who tell me what I want to hear."

It's official:

Richard Pitino Adds Former Gopher Ben Johnson to Staff
University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino today announced the addition of former Golden Gopher guard Ben Johnson to his coaching staff.

“I have been impressed with what I have personally seen and heard from a variety of knowledgeable people when they talk about Ben Johnson,” said Pitino. “In addition to being a proud Minnesota alum, he brings the work ethic I am looking for and a knowledge of the university, the Midwest and the Big Ten Conference.”

Johnson returns to his hometown and alma mater after spending one season as an assistant coach on Tim Miles’ University of Nebraska staff. While with the Huskers, the former Gopher captain assisted in all-day-to-day basketball-related duties while also serving as recruiting coordinator. Johnson also led the development of Nebraska’s backcourt players.

Prior to his role at Nebraska, Johnson spent four seasons on the staff at Northern Iowa. The Panthers went a combined 93-77 in that timeframe, winning at least 20 games in all four years. The four-straight 20-win seasons is the longest stretch in program history, reaching postseason play in all four years, including a run to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2009-10. That year, UNI won a school-record 30 games and upset top-seeded Kansas in the second round.

During his tenure at UNI, the Panthers boasted three first-team All-MVC selections, including 2010 Missouri Valley Conference MVP Adam Koch in 2010. Four players were named to the MVC All-Freshmen or All-Newcomer teams, including a pair in 2011-12.

Prior to his stay at Northern Iowa, Johnson served as an assistant coach for two seasons at the University of Texas-Pan American. He was heavily involved in recruiting, worked with the Broncos perimeter players and coordinated UTPA's summer camps. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Dayton during the 2005-06 season.

Johnson’s coaching career began at the University of Dayton, where he served as a graduate assistant during the 2005-06 season.

Johnson started his collegiate playing career at Northwestern and played two seasons before returning to the Twin Cities to finish his career. He was a two-time captain at Minnesota and finished with 533 points in 59 games in Maroon and Gold. He scored a total of 1,202 career points between the two Big Ten Conference institutions.

The Minneapolis native enjoyed a standout prep career, leading DeLaSalle High School to a pair of state championships. He was a two-time first-team all-state selection in both football and basketball, and as a senior, was named a Street & Smith All-American, as well as an honorable mention Nike All-American.

He was listed as the 60th-best basketball player in the country by Bob Gibbons in his senior season, totaling more than 2,200 points during his high school career. Johnson also was listed on Tom Lemming's High School Football All-American list as a top-20 national recruit and was a two-time all-state performer on the gridiron.

Experience

2012-13

Assistant Coach

University of Nebraska

2008-12

Assistant Coach

Northern Iowa

2006-08

Assistant Coach

Texas-Pan American

2005-06

Graduate Assistant