All Things Richard Pitino Assistants UPDATED 4/4: Kimani Young reportedly on staff

UofMdad

Reaction score
Thought this would be a good thread to ruminate about all the possibilities.

1. Mark Lieberman- 16 years HS coach, spent last 2 years at Louisville. Last year as Dir. of Operations and 2010-11 assistant coach. Rick Pitino had some good things to say about him.

2. Mike Balado: 1st season as assistant at FIU. Spent previous 3 seasons as assistant at High Point with "heave emphasis on recruiting." 2008-09 was on Univ. of Miami bb staff. 2005-06 was at Florida Atlantic as an assistant.

3. "Kimani Young, who hails from Queens, N.Y., enters his first season as an assistant coach at FIU after serving as athletic director for the New Heights non-profit youth program in the Bronx since the fall of 2006." Possible pipeline to the NYC bb programs.

4. Other assistants? Did Norwood insist on different assistants to help Rich?

Anybody have any information on possible assistants?

I imagine that he'll have significantly more money to go after his assistants. I could see us getting a guy from Florida or Louisville (making them the #1 assistant).

It'll be interesting to see the names that come out.

Hopefully he gets a guy with good midwest recruiting experience.

I imagine that he'll have significantly more money to go after his assistants. I could see us getting a guy from Florida or Louisville (making them the #1 assistant).

It'll be interesting to see the names that come out.

+1 Spend the money to get good assistants who can recruit, develop the players and game plan. Don't be cheap.

He will get to choose one each from Columns A, B and C from Woody's magic list. No substitutions, please.

I just hope that since we are probably saving $750k off of Tubby's salary that they put that into Asst coaches and recruiting budget.

Dave Thorson (De La Salle) and Jarred Nunness (Baylor)

Might as well get an inside track on Travis and Tyus!

Thought this would be a good thread to ruminate about all the possibilities.

1. Mark Lieberman- 16 years HS coach, spent last 2 years at Louisville. Last year as Dir. of Operations and 2010-11 assistant coach. Rick Pitino had some good things to say about him.

2. Mike Balado: 1st season as assistant at FIU. Spent previous 3 seasons as assistant at High Point with "heave emphasis on recruiting." 2008-09 was on Univ. of Miami bb staff. 2005-06 was at Florida Atlantic as an assistant.

3. "Kimani Young, who hails from Queens, N.Y., enters his first season as an assistant coach at FIU after serving as athletic director for the New Heights non-profit youth program in the Bronx since the fall of 2006." Possible pipeline to the NYC bb programs.

4. Other assistants? Did Norwood insist on different assistants to help Rich?

Anybody have any information on possible assistants?

Thanks for posting this. I would assume the staff would consist of 1-2 guys that Pitino hired at FIU (maybe one on the bench and one in the director of basketball opps spot?) and 1-2 guy who he hires with guidance from his father and/or Teague/Ellis. With a much bigger budget for assistants, it stands to reason that he'd have at least one guy on staff with a lot of experience at a major program.

Pardon the ignorance here, but can someone enumerate the different assistant positions that will be filled and typical responsibilities and experience necessary? I'm probably not alone in thinking there are a whole lot of guys in suits on the sideline, but I'm not sure what they all do.

Just looked at Rick Pitino's staff and all 3 of his assistants are in their first or second year on his staff. I doubt we will get a current Louisville guy as our top assistant as there doesn't look like there's an obvious candidate there.

I heard some college bball guy on with Barreiro who knows Pitino and has followed him for some time and he said he was close with Mark Lieberman and would probably like to bring him along.

I heard some college bball guy on with Barreiro who knows Pitino and has followed him for some time and he said he was close with Mark Lieberman and would probably like to bring him along.

Yeah, I kind of wonder if he'll be considered for the head job down there.

Dave Thorson (De La Salle) and Jarred Nunness (Baylor)

Might as well get an inside track on Travis and Tyus!

I actually think it could make some sense to brig Jarred Nunness aboard as either Director of Player Development or the third (least experienced) assistant coach. He's put his time in at Baylor and worked his way up through the reanks a bit but Nunness might be the local guy would look good on our staff.

It depends on how things shake out, Vince Taylor might be retained. He is a Villa 7 guy (THE HORROR!) and has the local connections as well.

If we kept Vince Taylor, we'd probably retain Ellis and have a good shot at getting one of the Big 3. All those guys seem to love him, they always mentioned him before Tubby when talking about why they are interested in the U.

Vince Taylor also was on staff at Louisville from 1999-2005.

Ask Dave Thorson to be Associate Head Coach with the understanding that he becomes head coach when Pitino moves on to his next job.

Vince Taylor also was on staff at Louisville from 1999-2005.

Yeah, I like Vince. He makes a lot of sense to stick around. He is connected locally, he has ties to Pitino, he is a Villa 7 guy, he already has an "ins" with the Big 3.

Names for Pitino's Staff

How about Ryan Saunders and Vince taylor?

He needs to bring at least one or 2 seasoned guys on board and possibly one from the Tubby Smith era? Might also help with the "Big 3" as well...

Top Bottom