All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Lamonte Edwards was a 4 star and Marion Barber gets 2 stars. Gotta love those professionals at Rivals and Scout!

Yes, all of their evaluators are robots (not human beings who make mistakes) and this sentiment (that all of the recruiting services are perfect and never make mistakes) is expressed frequently on this board.

P.S. They don't factor in character when making player evaluations. Since you're such an expert on the recruiting services, I'm surprised you didn't know that.

In case you missed it, watch a replay of Jeff Jones' press conference here:

[video]http://www.highschoolcube.com/highlight/washburn-s-jeff-jones-commits--130706[/video]

Congrats to Jeff and the Golden Gophers!

Lots of smiles.
Great to see a hometown kid stay home and be supported by his freinds and family.

This thread is to talk about Jeff Jones' recruitment. If you want to discuss anything beyond that, we encourage you to discuss it on the Off-Topic board. Any additional posts not about Jones' recruitment, future as a Gopher, etc. will be deleted.

PiPress: Top RB recruit Jeff Jones looks forward to competition with starter David Cobb

“It’s great for the program honestly,” he said. “(Cobb’s) the first back in seven years to rush for 1,000 yards. That’s a great step for the running backs coach (Brian Anderson) and the program. I honestly believe competition breeds success. So if I’m there pushing David Cobb everyday, that’s just going to make him rush for 1,500 yards. He’ll break another mark that the Gophers haven’t reached in awhile. I just feel like it’s a great opportunity to come in and compete for a spot right away.”

With such a log jam at the position, the 6-foot, 200-pound Jones also suggested the possibility of playing another position as a freshman just to get on the field. He had 17 catches for 493 yards and eight touchdowns this past season.

“I’m open to playing slot receiver and running back — both of those positions,” Jones said. “I feel like I’m a guy who can get on the field and possibly make plays right away. That’s my goal.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...rward-to-competition-with-starter-david-cobb/

Go Gophers!!

Shama: Coach Likens Jeff Jones Style to A.P.

Jenkins compares his all-state, Mr. Football award winner to a runner Minnesota sports fans know all about. “His running style is similar to Adrian Peterson. He’s big and strong and fast. I think he may have a little bit better vision. He might have a better first step in terms of his explosion.

“His top-end speed might not be quite as good as Adrian Peterson but in terms of just being dominating and people not wanting to stand in his way and tackle him, he reminds me most of Adrian Peterson with his running style.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

FSN: High-profile Gophers recruit Jones hopes to follow in Hageman's footsteps

Jones hopes to follow Hageman's lead and be a key contributor for the hometown Gophers. During the recruiting process, he and Hageman talked about what to expect if Jones chose Minnesota.

"He liked it there. He said coach Kill helped him out a lot," Jones said. "That staff over there, they took him under their wing and helped change some things around for him."

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/stor...hopes-to-follow-in-hageman-s-footsteps-020514

Go Gophers!!

Good to hear, getting most of the recent Washburn kids, two out of the recent three isn't bad, almost had Gilreath and it would have been three for three.

Good to hear, getting most of the recent Washburn kids, two out of the recent three isn't bad, almost had Gilreath and it would have been three for three.

Gilreath went to Armstrong, at least for his senior year.

Jeff is not only the highest rated RB but the highest rated offensive recruit in the Big Ten on Rivals

BTW - Since it was my (complimentary) post that JJ first responded to here, and since others on this site feel we can impact decisions with our posts, it goes to reason that if he comes to the U, I will be one reason why. Go Spoofin!

+1

Is Shooter just being Shooter and throwing that against the wall? Would be nice if there was actually some evidence presented to support the JUCO assertion.

Per Shooter:

It'll be interesting to see whether the Gophers have their prized recruit, running back Jeff Jones of Minneapolis Washburn, spend next season at a junior college.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ters-cretin-derham-halls-jashon-cornell-takes

Go Gophers!!

If he doesn't qualify he'd have to go to a JUCO for 2 years and if he does qualify I don't know why the gophers would want him at a JUCO. Not sure what shooter is getting at.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jones is getting in. Why is everyone doubting what JJ, his coach, and Kill are saying about how close he is? Kill's confidence was the clincher for me - he doesn't sugar coat things. Jeff plays this year, IMO.

Jones is getting in. Why is everyone doubting what JJ, his coach, and Kill are saying about how close he is? Kill's confidence was the clincher for me - he doesn't sugar coat things. Jeff plays this year, IMO.

Agreed. +1

What is the timeline for Jones to qualify? Is he scheduled to take the ACT soon?

What is the timeline for Jones to qualify? Is he scheduled to take the ACT soon?

Pretty sure he just has to qualify by August. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. He has plenty of time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

He is scheduled to take it this Saturday (Feb 8) and then would have two more opportunities (not sure when) in order to be qualified in time for fall camp.

Shama: Coach Likens Jeff Jones Style to A.P.

Jenkins compares his all-state, Mr. Football award winner to a runner Minnesota sports fans know all about. “His running style is similar to Adrian Peterson. He’s big and strong and fast. I think he may have a little bit better vision. He might have a better first step in terms of his explosion.

“His top-end speed might not be quite as good as Adrian Peterson but in terms of just being dominating and people not wanting to stand in his way and tackle him, he reminds me most of Adrian Peterson with his running style.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Ya. Okay. :rolleyes:

I am so glad that comment came from his high school coach and not one of our coaches. Better vision and more explosion then the best running back in the NFL......I'll take a hit off whatever that guy is smoking, I know he is biased but come on, maybe set the bar a bit more realistic for the kid instead of saying he is as good or better then the best in the game. Heck maybe the best ever.

He is scheduled to take it this Saturday (Feb 8) and then would have two more opportunities (not sure when) in order to be qualified in time for fall camp.

Yes, this Saturday like you said. The other 2 dates before this fall are April 12th and June 14th.

I don't know the rules on who has to take the writing portion of the test (it might be optional) but results are generally available 3 weeks after the test. The results from the writing portion of the test lags the other sections by a couple of weeks, so about 5 weeks after the test.

Yes, this Saturday like you said. The other 2 dates before this fall are April 12th and June 14th.

I don't know the rules on who has to take the writing portion of the test (it might be optional) but results are generally available 3 weeks after the test. The results from the writing portion of the test lags the other sections by a couple of weeks, so about 5 weeks after the test.

it doesn't matter is basically what i've heard. seems to be more of a school specific thing

Sooo... I'm just going to remind everyone that we signed the Under Amour All American Gamer Co-MVP. WHOOOOOOOOOOO! It still feels good. I'm just going to go ahead and keep celebrating it and trust everything works out.

I just recently watched his film.

Kid is a beast. A natural football player. Not some fast kid playing running back.

He will play physical football. Me likey.

Top Bottom