All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

For a short while, yes he is doomed to fail. He may or may not do well in a long run. Knowing Pitinos, I don't think they like to lose a reputation. The reason that he will succeed in Florida is because they have a much bigger booster club. Florida already has two coaches on their bench who have been fired from Arkansas and Alabama. They do need a big name there. Richard has a big name and if offered, he will take it. I bet you a pitcher of beer that he would take it.

He would take it- if offered- I agree.

Rich P. not in top ten for Fla. Gig. Fired Coach Dickie V is wrong as usual...feel free to drink his kool aid but check back when it is all said and done you will see TBT was right.

Rich P. not in top ten for Fla. Gig. Fired Coach Dickie V is wrong as usual...feel free to drink his kool aid but check back when it is all said and done you will see TBT was right.

Please articulate exactly what TBT is right on? That Pitino would take the Florida Job?

wow... Thats the high quality prognostication.

I'd be curious to hear who their top ten are.

Gotta post because I am tired of all the media hype re: Pitino leaving. How many Big Ten coaches have left for another college job in the past 20 years? I can only think of one- Self. How many Gopher coaches have left voluntarily for another college job in the past 50 years? I believe the answer is 0. I think everyone needs to chill out.

Gotta post because I am tired of all the media hype re: Pitino leaving. How many Big Ten coaches have left for another college job in the past 20 years? I can only think of one- Self. How many Gopher coaches have left voluntarily for another college job in the past 50 years? I believe the answer is 0. I think everyone needs to chill out.
But Lou Holtz.

I do not think he is as far down as 10th but he certainly is not top 3. IF i made a list of the ten they dream of most of them would not leave where they are but if you make a list of 10 that have average jobs in the profession he would make top 10 easily. If i were the AD i would be very concerned about how little has has accomplished and how small his national recruiting foot print is. Minnesota is a perfect job as to whether or not he can get it done. Every successful young coach got something significant built by their 3rd year . Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, Archie Miller, Ben J, Shaka. All of whom had arguably tougher jobs than Minnesota. I think he can succeed at Minnesota if he is 100% committed 24-7,365. Those above took their names out of consideration for big job offers or rumors after year one or you two. When you leave your name hanging out there or your agent puts it out there it does undermine recruiting. Hard to sell your building something special when there is doubt that you will even be there.

There is a presumption in your post that he will ultimately fail here. I disagree with that. I think if he gives it time here he will have some big successes just like Haskins, Dutcher and Musselman have in the past- hopefully sans the scandals.

Yes- if he is doomed for failure - this is the year he would want to hit the road. But I don't believe that's the case and I also don't believe that Florida is stupid enough to pay 2 million plus for a guy who they don't believe could get it done at Minnesota, when others in the past have. BTW- Why in the world is Florida not knocking on Tubby's door?

That's been the question I've been dying to ask but was sheepish to. Thanks for saying it, bga.

I smile thinking about what GH will be like when the Puerto Rico Tip-Off announces Gophers vs. Texas Tech as one of its quarterfinals. Should be good times, with lots of GH traffic, leading up to and after the game.

I smile thinking about what GH will be like when the Puerto Rico Tip-Off announces Gophers vs. Texas Tech as one of its quarterfinals. Should be good times, with lots of GH traffic, leading up to and after the game.

I'm so excited to re live all of our prior discussions. Copy pasta will be served almost exclusively.

I have a feeling that Ben Johnson will do well against his legend mentor. SS, you guys keep telling me that I should let it go. Don't you think it is crazy that these haters still talk about the previous admin. For how long will they blame these things on those guys. they have been long gone but they still talk about them. Don't you think that they miss those good old days? Otherwise, why would they keep talking about it. At least this program has stability for 6 years instead of having a one-and-done coach.

I have a feeling that Ben Johnson will do well against his legend mentor. SS, you guys keep telling me that I should let it go. Don't you think it is crazy that these haters still talk about the previous admin. For how long will they blame these things on those guys. they have been long gone but they still talk about them. Don't you think that they miss those good old days? Otherwise, why would they keep talking about it. At least this program has stability for 6 years instead of having a one-and-done coach.

The only "one-and-done" coach the U has had in a major sport in a long while was Brenda Frese and I'd take her one year tenure again in a heartbeat.

Go Gophers!!

So i'm confused as all get out. Is TRT saying that Pitino is leaving or is he saying there is no chance he is on the list?

Maybe its the fact that we've got absurdly opposing views or convaluted views from similar named posters.

Truthseeker
The Real Truth (TRT)
The Brain Trust (TBT)

So i'm confused as all get out. Is TRT saying that Pitino is leaving or is he saying there is no chance he is on the list?

Maybe its the fact that we've got absurdly opposing views or convaluted views from similar named posters.

Truthseeker
The Real Truth (TRT)
The Brain Trust (TBT)
Once he gets one winning season, he is gone.

Truthseeker
The Real Truth (TRT)
The Brain Trust (TBT)

Just put them on ignore like I do. It is less confusing and makes for a much more enjoyable and interesting read. The Tubby-only posters got old long ago.

Ed DeChellis (sp?) left Penn State for Navy. But he was clearly getting out ahead of the firing squad on that one. Same with Steve Alford leaving Iowa for New Mexico. Gary Williams and Bill Frieder are outside 20 years I guess.

Ed DeChellis (sp?) left Penn State for Navy. But he was clearly getting out ahead of the firing squad on that one. Same with Steve Alford leaving Iowa for New Mexico. Gary Williams and Bill Frieder are outside 20 years I guess.

Bill Self, Lute Olson and Johnny Orr are the biggest names I can think of that left the league under their own power.

At least this program has stability for 6 years instead of having a one-and-done coach.

Mbakwe, Royce, Devoe, Iverson, Tubby to Virginia, Tubby to Maryland, Tubby to LSU, Tubby to Tulsa, etc., etc.....what exactly was stable for six years?

Mbakwe, Royce, Devoe, Iverson, Tubby to Virginia, Tubby to Maryland, Tubby to LSU, Tubby to Tulsa, etc., etc.....what exactly was stable for six years?

The assistant coaching staff...unfortunately.

Sure glad there is an 'all things' thread for this issue.
Maybe I'll hang on to my season ticket renewal till this (one) plays out!

I've been out of town and unplugged from the rumor mill. Yes, people are talking. Googled Richard Pitino to Florida and found this thread in Louisville. Sounds about the same as what we've said. IMO, some day these rumors will be justified, but I'd be very, very amazed if he was selected.

http://louisville.scout.com/forums/2755-the-yum/13832491-richard-pitino-to-florida/170854000?s=17

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/594135170342592512
Responses mostly ridiculing the idea. Fun read

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-bask...d-pitino-would-be-a-great-backup-plan-for-hc/

SO far just a great coach. The point was he got a whole lot done before he got the UVA job. After two years he turned down Indiana , LSU and Marquette . Taking his name out early and for several jobs since has led to consecutive ACC titles and ever improving recruiting from a solid foundation. Pitino should be able to get to at least a 4th place conference finish by year 4 to be considered for anything.

Lol. I am hardly a Tubby hater, but you just lost whatever shred of credibility you had and are now officially a troll.

Once again, another clueless poster, Izzo and former coach have not had similar success for a while but they both run a clean program. That's why Izzo won't be called for Florida job. Billy D cheated for a long time until he was out-cheated by Calamari. That's why he is running out of town. Anybody who takes over has to be willing to cheat. That's Florida's culture. They do get away with it. I have said this before. Go back 10-15 years ago. You'll see some concerns from SEC coaches about Billy D's cheating.

Top Bottom