All Things Pharrel Payne Recruiting Thread (Class of 2022; Gophers Have Offered)

Gophers cooled on Aligbe too soon. He’s physically ready to play day 1. Having as good of a season as anyone in the state. He’s literally carrying Minnehaha Academy on his back.
The way he is scoring at Haha against other AA teams gonna translate to the HM level?

2A? Do your homework and look at their schedule. He scored 31 v Park and Pharrell. Is that 2A?
Lol I’ve seen their schedule and I did exaggerate a bit. Half their games are against AA schools. He’s still doing a majority of his scoring by playing bully ball. He’s athletic, but that won’t be as big of an advantage. Again are you confident it translates at the HM level?

2A? Do your homework and look at their schedule. He scored 31 v Park and Pharrell. Is that 2A?
right....8 games total against 2A teams the rest are against 3a & 4a schools

he seemed to have plateaued playing behind Suggs & Holmgren but he has certainly come on his senior year.

right....8 games total against 2A teams the rest are against 3a & 4a schools

he seemed to have plateaued playing behind Suggs & Holmgren but he has certainly come on his senior year.
Maybe I'm missing something, but surely MinnehAhA AcAdemy is a 4A school?

Lol I’ve seen their schedule and I did exaggerate a bit. Half their games are against AA schools. He’s still doing a majority of his scoring by playing bully ball. He’s athletic, but that won’t be as big of an advantage. Again are you confident it translates at the HM level?
Idk? He had 31 v Pharrel. He’s going HM correct? But seriously do I think he’ll be an elite scorer? No. But he’ll be serviceable. Just like JOJ and Pharrel, who I am excited to see how they develop.

Idk? He had 31 v Pharrel. He’s going HM correct? But seriously do I think he’ll be an elite scorer? No. But he’ll be serviceable. Just like JOJ and Pharrel, who I am excited to see how they develop.
JOJ is an intriguing prospect but I think Aligbe is definitely a more sure thing. Aligbe is a HM talent (IMO) but I do wonder how his offensive game will translate to the next level.

Help me out here. What is the HM level?
High Major. Prince is a fine player, but I don't see how he can contribute offensively in the ACC. Right now he is doing his scoring by being the best athlete and playing bully ball. I just don't think he'll be able to do that in the ACC or at the HM level. Maybe he finally develops a more consistent outside shot, then it'll be a miss on our end, but I like JOJ more because he already shoots it better imo.

Yeah I am excited to see him develop too. He's been scoring a ton, but it's been basically at the tin and by being bigger and stronger. Don't know if he will be able to continue to do that in the ACC.

Yeah I am excited to see him develop too. He's been scoring a ton, but it's been basically at the tin and by being bigger and stronger. Don't know if he will be able to continue to do that in the ACC.
Nice story of Payne/Park in Strib on Wednesday…..in the high school hoops section. They play East Ridge tonight.

Nice story of Payne/Park in Strib on Wednesday…..in the high school hoops section. They play East Ridge tonight.
Payne with only 7 in a 29-48 loss. Kendall Blue with 13 for ER who now have a 3 game lead over Park of CG in the Suburban East.

East Ridge got a lead…then held the ball quite a bit of the 2nd half. Park guards couldn’t catch ER guards.
I was at the game as well, East Ridge had a good game plan and packed in a zone with 3 guys near the basket and Payne, and dared the rest of the Park players to shoot. They must have been about 3 for 30 from the field. Not only were they unable to shoot, they couldn't get the ball inside to Payne, who took one 3 and made it. East Ridge has a very solid club, they are very disciplined and have a number of good athletes, including Blue and Mattes. And as stated, they held the ball quite a while in the 2nd half. Payne is a talent, but teams that can force the rest of his team to beat them will be pretty successful.

Was it a state game where shakopee and Hopkins held the ball forever? Minnesota is having 35 second shot clock next or am I dreaming?

Pharrel Payne excited to join Gophers, but looking for state tournament trip first​

The Gophers ended their season last week with 13-17 record in Ben Johnson's first year as coach, but Payne saw a culture being established in his future college program this year.

"What I saw from them that is big to me is being tough – they fought in the Big Ten," Payne said. "Even though it didn't end up the way they wanted it to. They fought. They fought until the end."

The only non-senior in the Gopher rotation this season was sophomore forward Jamison Battle, who led the team with 17.5 points and 6.3 rebounds to earn All-Big Ten honorable mention honors.

"I'm definitely excited," Payne said about playing with Battle. "I think me and him will go great together. He's really good at shooting, a crazy shooter and super athletic."

Johnson will be looking to replace sixth-year senior and starting center Eric Curry, who could join the team as a graduate assistant. Payne saw enough watching the Gophers behind the bench for several games to get excited about how he fits into their system.

"They're able to move the ball and get it to the big man," Payne said. "That's a big thing for me. I like their playing style. I wish I could speed up the time [to get there]."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom