All Things Panic Thread

OPINION: This is getting bad

Shaka Smart: No
Brad Stevens: No
Fred Hoiberg: No
Flip Saunders: No
Buzz Williams: Not a chance

Before the horrible news surfaced that Flip Saunders had turned down the job, I wasn't in panic mode. I guess I always assumed he would take the position and the school, fan base, reporters and boosters would all be happy. Now, I don't know what to think. There is not a conceivable big-name candidate remaining on the market that I could see taking this job. Now what? We are left with the concrete possibility that a "top assistant" will be hired. Though I don't disagree with giving up-and-comers a chance, I don't think it would be a good idea for that to happen right now at the U. This is a pivotal time in the program's history with three of the NATION'S top prep basketball players in the junior class balling it out in the U's backyard. These guys want to play for someone that knows the game and can elevate their stock at the next level. Flip, obviously, would have been able to do that. Some awesome assistant at North Carolina State (just making this up for arguments sake) does not impress these guys. Who wants to play for someone who hasn't proven themselves yet? Hiring an assistant coach from somewhere almost guarantees we won't see any of the local "Big 3" in maroon and gold. I'm growing increasingly frustrated with what's going on right now with Teague and the athletics administration right now. They appear to be scrambling. That's not good. Not good at all.

It might be getting bad when...

...you have to consolidate the "panic" threads.

maybe teague will go the celebrity coach route. bill murray to coach the first game

seriously, ucla just hired their guy and they were a couple of days ahead of us on the search.

maybe teague will go the celebrity coach route. bill murray to coach the first game

seriously, ucla just hired their guy and they were a couple of days ahead of us on the search.

That probably means they also had a number of people say "Thanks , but no thanks."

Why is everyone determined to hate the new coach just because its not who we, the great unwashed/uninformed masses, have decided it should be?

Let's give the coach a chance to prove himself. It could take a season or two. It might be someone who has been mentioned on here, it might be a hot assistant. Let's remember after Crean abandoned Marquette, Buzz (a one year assistant under Crean, a one year HC at New Orleans) took the reins. Marquette faithful assumed he was interim. Looks like that turned out well for them.

Its been less than a week of searching, during the hottest bball time of the year. We are not the most desirable job. Let's chill and just wait for info. The coach has not failed yet, why do most of us assume he will just because its not Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart? I don't like the idea of Flip Saunders but I will embrace him of that's the hire.

Come on Gophers, keep the faith!

**ETA: I have been a Gopher alum and fan for over a decade so I am aware the state of U of M sports. I still choose to remain positive.

Why is everyone determined to hate the new coach just because its not who we, the great unwashed/uninformed masses, have decided it should be?

Let's give the coach a chance to prove himself. It could take a season or two. It might be someone who has been mentioned on here, it might be a hot assistant. Let's remember after Crean abandoned Marquette, Buzz (a one year assistant under Crean, a one year HC at New Orleans) took the reins. Marquette faithful assumed he was interim. Looks like that turned out well for them.

Its been less than a week of searching, during the hottest bball time of the year. We are not the most desirable job. Let's chill and just wait for info. The coach has not failed yet, why do most of us assume he will just because its not Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart? I don't like the idea of Flip Saunders but I will embrace him of that's the hire.

**ETA: I have been a Gopher alum and fan for over a decade so I am aware the state of U of M sports. I still choose to remain positive.

Because we have a track record of doing really stupid things with hiring a d firing. I'm positive we do something stupid and positively hoping we do something great.

Well said!

Because we have a track record of doing really stupid things with hiring a d firing. I'm positive we do something stupid and positively hoping we do something great.

What stupid things does Norwood Teague have a history of doing? That you can confirm, not just what The media says.

I'm just saying, it's a new admin. It's a new day.

Not until proven otherwise. Right now, we are still the same old gophers. After a new coach is hired and we see the results will we know, but as of right now our fanbase should be scared sh*tless that we pull another mistake.

I'm on board with hiring an assistant from somewhere. But I don't think Jones, Vaughn and Travis want to play for someone who hasn't proven himself yet. Would you? I'm saying that if Teague hires some obscure assistant, I doubt any of the Big 3 -- even Travis -- will come to the U. They want someone who will win right away, not a coach who will start over next season and attract decent recuits down the road. This needs to be a BIG BANG hire in my opinion.

I'm on board with hiring an assistant from somewhere. But I don't think Jones, Vaughn and Travis want to play for someone who hasn't proven himself yet. Would you? I'm saying that if Teague hires some obscure assistant, I doubt any of the Big 3 -- even Travis -- will come to the U. They want someone who will win right away, not a coach who will start over next season and attract decent recuits down the road. This needs to be a BIG BANG hire in my opinion.

If it's not, there was no reason to fire Tubby.

If it's not, there was no reason to fire Tubby.

Yes and no. Yes we need a big name to jump start the fund raising on the basketball building, but no, Tubby needed to go. There is a big name out there who could jump start the fund raising and possibly keep some of the big 3 at home and we could have had him. Hopefully Norwood comes to his senses and corrects the error of his ways.

Well, panic has finally set in for me. Not about Teague, he'll take care of business and then we can moan or backslap at will. In either case, it will take until sometime in 2014 before the results of the new coach's first season are in. No, I'm scared for the people on this board who are inexorably drifting into a fantasy existence. According to some of the more desperate posters, in the last 5 days, Teague has:

1. Interviewed and offered around six candidates, some of whom have had active teams in the ncaa.
2. Flown out of state to meet an undetermined number of candidates while simultaneously meeting a couple of others in the TC.
3. Negotiated unsuccessfully with Flip Saunders as a back-up move when the other dozen or so candidates promply declined.
4. Dunned alumni for emergency funds to finance a practice facility, the Tubby buyout and the ability to up the ante for a new coach.
IMO any AD who can do all this in such a short time must be superhuman and deserves a lifetime contract.

I at least I now think, that the coach who actually takes the job, at least wants to come to our great state and make a difference. My grandfather always said if you want to make a difference in life, make a difference where others couldn't (and I guess wouldn't) make a difference. Lets support whomever, at least they are supporting us.

Oh...by the way, you want panic?

I'm in Montana with my boys, a buddy from work and his two kids, and pulling into the driveway of where we're staying, the tranny on my minivan craps the bed. After a tow, I find out that the transmission is DOA (just couldn't write "the tranny is dead") [oh crap, I just wrote that].

So now I'm faced with a 4k repair job, or buy a new van while I'm here, or wholesale the car to the dealer where it is and rent a car to get home and shop when I get home. AND I rented a ski/gear roof rack to save space, so if I leave the car here, I end up buying that thing, and I won't even be able to bring it home! There are no available one-way rentals of a vehicle with a compatible roof rack system to bring it home, believe me, I've been looking.

So yeah...I'm *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing panicking.

I'm in Montana with my boys, a buddy from work and his two kids, and pulling into the driveway of where we're staying, the tranny on my minivan craps the bed. After a tow, I find out that the transmission is DOA (just couldn't write "the tranny is dead") [oh crap, I just wrote that].

So now I'm faced with a 4k repair job, or buy a new van while I'm here, or wholesale the car to the dealer where it is and rent a car to get home and shop when I get home. AND I rented a ski/gear roof rack to save space, so if I leave the car here, I end up buying that thing, and I won't even be able to bring it home! There are no available one-way rentals of a vehicle with a compatible roof rack system to bring it home, believe me, I've been looking.

That's what you get for buying a minivan. Maybe next time you'll learn your lesson.

All of you are going to look dumb when Norwood hires Phil Jackson on Monday. :p

Not so fast. What makes you think Phil can recruit? He's never coached in college before. He hasn't been in the coaching game for two years now. He has no relationships with our H.S. programs. He's old so therefore he doesn't have the fire needed. He has five children and seven grand kids, so the possibility of wanting one of them on staff is high (plus, none of them have the proper qualifications). I think Phil is too risky.

If people want to use NT as the guys initials, it is like missing the report out of an explosion. Pffffftttt pop! There should be another T up front.

Oh well, another large sum out the window and nothing to show for it. Apparently (t)NT could not come to grips with the fact that he has nothing in hand but a disconnected phone. It takes a huge ego and a lot of nothing upstairs to terminate a coach like Smith without as much as a whisper of commitment from another guy. I don't know (t)NT's reputation, but it is turning more sour as time moves onward. I am beginning to miss ol' maligned Joel. At least he seemed to learn from his mistakes. t(NT) seems to have not read the recent history of the department too closely.

Not so fast. What makes you think Phil can recruit? He's never coached in college before. He hasn't been in the coaching game for two years now. He has no relationships with our H.S. programs. He's old so therefore he doesn't have the fire needed. He has five children and seven grand kids, so the possibility of wanting one of them on staff is high (plus, none of them have the proper qualifications). I think Phil is too risky.

Come to think of it, I don't think anyone's good enough for us. What a dilemma!

We should have a fund raiser!

Well, panic has finally set in for me. Not about Teague, he'll take care of business and then we can moan or backslap at will. In either case, it will take until sometime in 2014 before the results of the new coach's first season are in. No, I'm scared for the people on this board who are inexorably drifting into a fantasy existence. According to some of the more desperate posters, in the last 5 days, Teague has:

1. Interviewed and offered around six candidates, some of whom have had active teams in the ncaa.
2. Flown out of state to meet an undetermined number of candidates while simultaneously meeting a couple of others in the TC.
3. Negotiated unsuccessfully with Flip Saunders as a back-up move when the other dozen or so candidates promply declined.
4. Dunned alumni for emergency funds to finance a practice facility, the Tubby buyout and the ability to up the ante for a new coach.
IMO any AD who can do all this in such a short time must be superhuman and deserves a lifetime contract.

couldn't have said it better myself. the media tools and some of the nut jobs who post here can be too much sometimes. the absurdity of some of the b.s. stuff the media is reporting via their non-existent/phantom unnamed "sources" and some of the random junk that gets conjured up here on GH is comical at best. looney tunes.

couldn't have said it better myself. the media tools and some of the nut jobs who post here can be too much sometimes. the absurdity of some of the b.s. stuff the media is reporting via their non-existent/phantom unnamed "sources" and some of the random junk that gets conjured up here on GH is comical at best. looney tunes.

But...but...Doogie has inside sources :rolleyes:

Please note that Steve Alford signed a 10 year extension a month ago. And now is at UCLA. So that means we might have to kick the Shaka Thread back into gear. Or the Brad Stevens thread...

Top Bottom