All Things Panic Thread

JDGopher

Reaction score
I personally think it is WAY too early to panic and assume this is anything other than normal for a major coaching source. It has only been three days, and a bunch of rumors. I have confidence that a good hire will be made, and will not begin worry until after the NCAA tournament is over.

Clearly, some people do want to predict doom and gloom, and that's fine. Rather than reading 4 different threads about how/why this is a disaster, I propose we confine it all in here, similar to the "post game" threads. If this is a bad idea, feel free to lock it up, but I would think it would allow for a bit better conversation to have everyone's panic in once place to compare/contrast/share.

Agree? Disagree? Panic!!!!!?

AHHHHHHHHHHH ONLY 224 DAYS UNTIL OUR FIRST GAME. PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!

I had my thread moved because I was discussing search committees and how they can be beneficial as a intermediary between the U and the prospective candidates.

That by utilizing them it covers up for some of the embarrassment from getting turned down because it sorts out the real candidates from the ones who just want raises.

That thread was interpreted as being overly emotional and too quick to judge. I think people panicked on here regarding this and another thread I created in humor thinking it was fact or too negative.

I'll filter what I say from here on, but this is a sensitive group when it comes to stating any opinions about the process or throwing out any comments with the aid of sarcasm.

Is that accurate? Sounds about right... maybe I was wrong!

Around that time I'm guessing. First game last year was Nov. 9, so I just assumed the Friday around that date.

I had my thread moved because I was discussing search committees and how they can be beneficial as a intermediary between the U and the prospective candidates.

That by utilizing them it covers up for some of the embarrassment from getting turned down because it sorts out the real candidates from the ones who just want raises.

That thread was interpreted as being overly emotional and too quick to judge. I think people panicked on here regarding this and another thread I created in humor thinking it was fact or too negative.

I'll filter what I say from here on, but this is a sensitive group when it comes to stating any opinions about the process or throwing out any comments with the aid of sarcasm.

I saw yours and it seemed fine to me. Had a good point to it.

At this point i'm more concerned with the incoming recruits doing something drastic before we name whomever it is that is going to be the next coach. (Which i believe to be someone still coaching a team in the tourney). This program certainly doesn't need any more setbacks.

Too early to panic. Contrary to a couple supposed insiders, Rayno thinks Grant has "fallen off the bubble" and Howland will not be considered. That will help me sleep better, although richmondinsider still haunts me. I think he's imaginary, but I just don't know. If he's right about Grant...

Big picture: plenty of outstanding coaches out there, and these administrators have them all in the Rolodex. We have to give them the benefit of the doubt until it turns out bad, which as Minnesota sports fans we suspect it will.

I think they'll find a good candidate. Lots of people to go through. I just think each "not interested" reflects poorly when called directly by Teague vs if a anonymous search committee was putting out feelers. In that case, UofM could always deny they had any contact. (Search committee could have been searching for any school prior to some extension being signed. Process could have been started before the firing. Where right now, every extension seems to be occurring right as Teague and Ellis are "rumored" to be making those calls.

OMG! OMG! OMG! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I think they'll find a good candidate. Lots of people to go through. I just think each "not interested" reflects poorly when called directly by Teague vs if a anonymous search committee was putting out feelers. In that case, UofM could always deny they had any contact. (Search committee could have been searching for any school prior to some extension being signed. Process could have been started before the firing. Where right now, every extension seems to be occurring right as Teague and Ellis are "rumored" to be making those calls.

Genuine question- would you view a search firm as a separate entity, then? I mean, to me, they would be an agency of Teague and Ellis, asking on behalf of us, so it would be the same thing.

And actually, part of the reason I think it's way too early to panic is that we can't even confirm that we've been turned down yet. Hoiberg says we never offered, and I didn't see any official report that we offered Shaka (though, I would assume we did offer both- there's no way of knowing.)

Please, everyone relax. Teague has his guy, just can not release it yet. Coach is still in play.

We have committed recruits waiting for a coach and the three biggest high school players to come out of MN in years...no reason to panic.

We have committed recruits waiting for a coach and the three biggest high school players to come out of MN in years...no reason to panic.

Thank heavens we're not relying on you in a genuine crisis. Settle down, let it roll out. We will have a coach to support next season and the sun will rise in the morning.

I'm VERY panicked right now.

I have nightmares about it. Outsider Teague comes in, brings in unknown Villa 7 outsider to coach the team. Since he's an unknown, the Big 3 go to Stanford, UNC and UK or wherever, and this outsider recruits NON-Minnesotans to come here and play.

Worst thing about this nightmare, is this gaggle of outsiders are successful and the national press has a field day with it, poking fun of Minnesota EVEN WHEN we are successful, because we needed a gaggle of outsiders to come in and fix our situation for us.

Why?

Because Minnesota sucks, our weather sucks, we suck, our fans suck, our old AD sucked, our University sucks, all of our teams suck(at least the ones people care about, you know, bb and fb), all of our local recruits suck.

If those local recruits go elsewhere and succeed, its because they LEFT sucky Minnesota and were saved by some outsider.

Then these outsiders, since they are outsiders and never really cared about Minnesota in the first place, take their Villa 7 people, and all the money they made and recruits they brought in, and bail out of town as soon as they are the hottest thing in the land. They all go to UCLA and turn UCLA into another 10 Title winning Dynasty, and no one rips UCLA because California is 90% people who moved there from somewhere else anyway.

But before leaving, or just after having left, they rip Minnesota to shreds because upon hiring said unknown outsider, none of the big money donors get excited, and the U can't raise the money for a practice facility and they rip on us for breaking our promise to them to do so, but gloat about how they succeeded DESPITE our being losers who have sucky facilities and can't raise the money to upgrade.

And we go back to sucking. And we don't have a new practice facility, and there are no locals left to save us, because Flip will have retired, and all of the local boys who could have stayed home and fallen in love with the U and returned to the U to coach its teams, instead went to UNC, Duke, UK, Stanford and are now loved by those schools and those fanbases and they don't care about Minnesota anymore.

So we have to turn to MORE outsiders, and beg them to come and save us, and we pay them even MORE money, and blah, blah, blah the cycle never ends.

We need Flip to save us. (yes, I'm being over mellow dramatic & exaggerating, but like I said its my nightmare)

(yes, I'm being over mellow dramatic & exaggerating, but like I said its my nightmare)

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone be 'mellow dramatic'. Probably a 'mute' point though, right?

Regardless, panic now is foolish. Let the NCAA Tourney run it's course, and things will happen. If we're sitting at the end of April with no coach, then we can all feel free to run around in panic until our collective Gopherhole heads clunk together, spilling the gooey contents within and allowing Hawkeye and Badger fans to feast on our bloody remains.

I have nightmares about it. Outsider Teague comes in, brings in unknown Villa 7 outsider to coach the team. Since he's an unknown, the Big 3 go to Stanford, UNC and UK or wherever, and this outsider recruits NON-Minnesotans to come here and play.

Worst thing about this nightmare, is this gaggle of outsiders are successful and the national press has a field day with it, poking fun of Minnesota EVEN WHEN we are successful, because we needed a gaggle of outsiders to come in and fix our situation for us.

Why?

Because Minnesota sucks, our weather sucks, we suck, our fans suck, our old AD sucked, our University sucks, all of our teams suck(at least the ones people care about, you know, bb and fb), all of our local recruits suck.

If those local recruits go elsewhere and succeed, its because they LEFT sucky Minnesota and were saved by some outsider.

Then these outsiders, since they are outsiders and never really cared about Minnesota in the first place, take their Villa 7 people, and all the money they made and recruits they brought in, and bail out of town as soon as they are the hottest thing in the land. They all go to UCLA and turn UCLA into another 10 Title winning Dynasty, and no one rips UCLA because California is 90% people who moved there from somewhere else anyway.

But before leaving, or just after having left, they rip Minnesota to shreds because upon hiring said unknown outsider, none of the big money donors get excited, and the U can't raise the money for a practice facility and they rip on us for breaking our promise to them to do so, but gloat about how they succeeded DESPITE our being losers who have sucky facilities and can't raise the money to upgrade.

And we go back to sucking. And we don't have a new practice facility, and there are no locals left to save us, because Flip will have retired, and all of the local boys who could have stayed home and fallen in love with the U and returned to the U to coach its teams, instead went to UNC, Duke, UK, Stanford and are now loved by those schools and those fanbases and they don't care about Minnesota anymore.

So we have to turn to MORE outsiders, and beg them to come and save us, and we pay them even MORE money, and blah, blah, blah the cycle never ends.

We need Flip to save us. (yes, I'm being over mellow dramatic & exaggerating, but like I said its my nightmare)

Xenophobia much?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/xenophobia

Yeah it has been 3-4 days and there has been very little real information out there just a bunch of speculation. I would agree with those that have speculated our guy may very well still be coaching but touch to say. Definitely no reason to panic, and I am very interested to see how this all play out. This hire will give us a decent idea what to expect on future hires this staff will make down the road.

Why?

Plausible scenario.

Thank heavens we're not relying on you in a genuine crisis. Settle down, let it roll out. We will have a coach to support next season and the sun will rise in the morning.

Parski is Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

Big picture: plenty of outstanding coaches out there, and these administrators have them all in the Rolodex.

Our administrators are still using a Rolodex?!?! PANIC!!!

Example #1 of why easily frightened people make terrrible leaders. You'd have pressed
The Button a long time ago.

...Outsider Teague comes in, brings in unknown Villa 7 outsider to coach the team. Since he's an unknown, the Big 3 go to Stanford, UNC and UK or wherever, and this outsider recruits NON-Minnesotans to come here and play...

You make some good points about the catch-22's and spirals regarding successful vice less successful programs. That said, under the right conditions the threshold can be broken. Just look at Wisconsin. Pretty pathetic athletic programs in the 1970s and 1980s, and yet they broke the threshold in both football and basketball and are now considered to have good programs in each. That is certainly achievable at Minnesota as well. Just need the right situation.

Tubby could have been that guy, but failed. Mason maybe could have been that guy, but also failed. What do those two have in common? Two often they wooed other schools who came calling. Was that the biggest problem? Arguably yes, at least at times. Certainly this hampered recruiting, and I think it's pretty clear that recruiting in both cases wasn't optimal. In Tubby's case, he topped that off with mediocre game-day coaching and an obviously dissatisfied group of players, at least in the past 3 seasons or so.

Bring in the right guy, provide enough resources, and we can exceed that threshold.

Genuine question- would you view a search firm as a separate entity, then? I mean, to me, they would be an agency of Teague and Ellis, asking on behalf of us, so it would be the same thing.

And actually, part of the reason I think it's way too early to panic is that we can't even confirm that we've been turned down yet. Hoiberg says we never offered, and I didn't see any official report that we offered Shaka (though, I would assume we did offer both- there's no way of knowing.)

A search firm would be an outside entity. They are able to start making contact with prospective coaches before you even fire Tubby. Teague could have fired them up a week advance as a contingency of firing Tubby.
It is a bit more of a separate entity in that the search firm in that case call call and ask if people are "Interested in a major job in a major conference, who may be looking for a new coach". Coaches can be interested or not and it isn't leaked as easily or speculated as easily as how many coaches have flat out turned the U down. (Which it looks like when Teague is calling these and not getting them). Versus them not telling the search committee that they are even interested in leaving for some new job.

I think we've been turned down by Shaka, by Brad Stevens, and by Hoiberg. But I may be wrong, but that seems to be the picture that is getting painted, even though it's could be massively incorrect.

Please, everyone relax. Teague has his guy, just can not release it yet. Coach is still in play.

Wasn't always at this place, but now I am. Its been 4 days now...we have heard NOTHING official from ANYONE. Heck, even the first Shaka denial from SI only mentioned UCLA. We have a flat our denial from Fred that we ever offered. Lots on non-official news from "sources". So far this week, the only thing "sources" got right was Tubby getting fired.

Theres plenty of time..UCLA has been on coach search longer than us, I wonder if their base is panicking? Heck USC has been over 2 weeks! We all got duped into believing that Shaka would drop EVERYTHING to follow NT. That would have been admirable, but its more admirable he has loyalty to his team and recruits. If the Shaka let down wouldn't have been there, I don't think we would need this panic room.

A search firm would be an outside entity. They are able to start making contact with prospective coaches before you even fire Tubby. Teague could have fired them up a week advance as a contingency of firing Tubby.
It is a bit more of a separate entity in that the search firm in that case call call and ask if people are "Interested in a major job in a major conference, who may be looking for a new coach". Coaches can be interested or not and it isn't leaked as easily or speculated as easily as how many coaches have flat out turned the U down. (Which it looks like when Teague is calling these and not getting them). Versus them not telling the search committee that they are even interested in leaving for some new job.

I think we've been turned down by Shaka, by Brad Stevens, and by Hoiberg. But I may be wrong, but that seems to be the picture that is getting painted, even though it's could be massively incorrect.

Dude, how can you say that you think we've been turned down by Shaka, BS, Hoiberg? Do you understand how these early search conversations go? Let me give you a hint. This is closer to the truth than you would think.

Norwood: "Hey, Joe Blow (agent for BS), it's me, Woody. I just fired my coach and was wondering if your guy would be interested."
Joe Blow: "Hey Woody, good to hear from you. Honestly I don't think he's interested but let me check. Maybe $10 mil a year and his own plane hahahahahaaha! Just kidding man."
Joe Blow: "Hey Woody, it's me. BS isn't interested but just a heads up I'm gonna renegotiate his agreement. Thanks for expressing interest. Good luck."
Norwood: "Hey Joe, thanks for the heads up man. Good luck to you and Brad. Be sure to hold out for a free pass to the Vu! hahahahahahahahah"

If to you that means "rejected an offer", then yes, you will be living your whole life worried and paranoid. Norwood's thing is basketball; why can't you let it play out and see what happens? If he F's it up we can all rip him. But let's see it happen first.

Dude, how can you say that you think we've been turned down by Shaka, BS, Hoiberg? Do you understand how these early search conversations go? Let me give you a hint. This is closer to the truth than you would think.

Norwood: "Hey, Joe Blow (agent for BS), it's me, Woody. I just fired my coach and was wondering if your guy would be interested."
Joe Blow: "Hey Woody, good to hear from you. Honestly I don't think he's interested but let me check. Maybe $10 mil a year and his own plane hahahahahaaha! Just kidding man."
Joe Blow: "Hey Woody, it's me. BS isn't interested but just a heads up I'm gonna renegotiate his agreement. Thanks for expressing interest. Good luck."
Norwood: "Hey Joe, thanks for the heads up man. Good luck to you and Brad. Be sure to hold out for a free pass to the Vu! hahahahahahahahah"

If to you that means "rejected an offer", then yes, you will be living your whole life worried and paranoid. Norwood's thing is basketball; why can't you let it play out and see what happens? If he F's it up we can all rip him. But let's see it happen first.

Well, here's the deal, no matter what name Teague calls, no one is going to call it a bad hire unless the name is so ridiculous, basically a fictional character (Donald Duck or Snoopy) would have to be named for anyone here to say, "This was a mess".
Outside of a fictional character being named, any new coach Teague grabs, we'll all be cautiously optimistic about until maybe 3-4 years from now if the guy crashes and burns.

We will see almost immediately the product on the floor next season as to the quality of the new hire. Look at Iowa and the change they made, just how they played hard this year and the cuts, screens and desire they played with. This years product was inconsistent, lord I hope for players who make good choices, are motivated, and represent our university well. Yes, and win. I can have some patients on the hire.

So was UCLA, if we follow that train of thought.

Top Bottom