All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

People need to look back further and embrace ever winning a title.
There have only been 5 teams to win the title over the last 10 years
10 teams over the last 20 years.
If you go back to the first BCS season of 1998 there are 12 teams that have won a title in 24 seasons.

Alabama has been good for 12 years and won 6 titles.
LSU has 3
Clemson 2
Florida 2
Ohio State 2
Florida State 2
Tennessee 1
Oklahoma 1
Miami 1
USC 1
Texas 1
Auburn 1

Last Title for B1G 2014
Last Title for B12 2005
Last Title for PAC10 2004

Oregon is considered good and hasn't won it, Georgia might this year, but hasn't in 40 years.

Georgia has been really good for so long that it surprises me that Hershel Walker was on their last Natty team.

8 college coaches who could be the next head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders​

Minnesota HC P.J. Fleck​

Another up-and-coming star in the coaching ranks is P.J. Fleck of Minnesota. Early in his coaching career, he turned Western Michigan into a Top-15 team in the country as they went 13-1 in 2016.

Then, he turned Minnesota around as they went 11-2 during the 2019 season. Even this year, the Golden Gophers went 8-3 and finished second in the Big Ten West.

Fleck does have some NFL experience as he was a former wide receiver with the 49ers. He coached in Tampa Bay for a year (2012) before eventually becoming a head coach.

Go Gophers!!

No way in hell p.j. goes to the pros to coach..
I don't think it is impossible he ends up in the NFL at some point but he definitely comes across as someone better suited for the college game. I honestly think he would be a little bored in the NFL without the recruiting and life development aspect that you get with the college game.

Good example of why Fleck should never get a pro head coaching job:

"Meyer's biggest issues came off the field, where he tried to handle a professional team like he was on a college campus. He splashed slogans and catchphrases around the facility, instilled gimmicks in practice and repeated his misguided belief that coaches coach for players and players play for coaches. He brought in motivational speakers and kept blaming assistants for the team's mounting losses instead of the guys actually on the field."

And I do not think of Urban Meyer as one of those rah-rah types

Good example of why Fleck should never get a pro head coaching job:

"Meyer's biggest issues came off the field, where he tried to handle a professional team like he was on a college campus. He splashed slogans and catchphrases around the facility, instilled gimmicks in practice and repeated his misguided belief that coaches coach for players and players play for coaches. He brought in motivational speakers and kept blaming assistants for the team's mounting losses instead of the guys actually on the field."

And I do not think of Urban Meyer as one of those rah-rah types
I would like to think PJ is smart enough to know what works with who though.
A lot of his stuff wouldn’t work with pros, but he wouldn’t try it.

He is a CEO type head coach which can play will in the nfl. He would be a better GM than a coach I think in the nfl.

I don’t think he is going to the nfl ever because I don’t think he wants to be there, but if given the opportunity I think Fleck as an NFL coach would look and sound different than Fleck as a college coach. Unless he is an idiot.

I would like to think PJ is smart enough to know what works with who though.
A lot of his stuff wouldn’t work with pros, but he wouldn’t try it.

He is a CEO type head coach which can play will in the nfl. He would be a better GM than a coach I think in the nfl.

I don’t think he is going to the nfl ever because I don’t think he wants to be there, but if given the opportunity I think Fleck as an NFL coach would look and sound different than Fleck as a college coach. Unless he is an idiot.
I think PJ is smart enough not try it, but I also think if you're essentially saying "PJ would be a good coach because he wouldn't do many of the things that make him a good coach" you're in a tough spot.

I don't think he's a great fit for the NFL. I don't think his personality is a fit for grown men who happen to be millionaires. Could he change all of that to be successful in the NFL? Sure.

I do think that he is incredibly organized and structured and that is essential in the NFL.

8 college coaches who could be the next head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders​

Minnesota HC P.J. Fleck​

Another up-and-coming star in the coaching ranks is P.J. Fleck of Minnesota. Early in his coaching career, he turned Western Michigan into a Top-15 team in the country as they went 13-1 in 2016.

Then, he turned Minnesota around as they went 11-2 during the 2019 season. Even this year, the Golden Gophers went 8-3 and finished second in the Big Ten West.

Fleck does have some NFL experience as he was a former wide receiver with the 49ers. He coached in Tampa Bay for a year (2012) before eventually becoming a head coach.

Go Gophers!!
I think people steer clear of college coaches for awhile.

I think PJ is smart enough not try it, but I also think if you're essentially saying "PJ would be a good coach because he wouldn't do many of the things that make him a good coach" you're in a tough spot.

I don't think he's a great fit for the NFL. I don't think his personality is a fit for grown men who happen to be millionaires. Could he change all of that to be successful in the NFL? Sure.

I do think that he is incredibly organized and structured and that is essential in the NFL.
If he went in to the nfl I think he would be smart enough to sit in the background and manage his coaches and players. I think that makes him a good coach more than his rah rah stuff.

I hope he stays long enough to become the AD and appoint someone like Joe Rossi as HC.

I don't think it is impossible he ends up in the NFL at some point but he definitely comes across as someone better suited for the college game. I honestly think he would be a little bored in the NFL without the recruiting and life development aspect that you get with the college game.
Why would he want to deal with some young, spoiled, incorrigible multi-millionaire players? There are young pups who think they know better than you because they make more money.

Last edited:

Why would he want to deal with some young, spoiled, incorrigible multi-millionaire players? Young pups who do think they because they make more money than you they know better.
I am sure PJ is still having to deal with the massive egos of young men.

There is an appeal to coaching in the NFL. You get to coach the best. You get more of a say of who will be on your team (more of a level playing field in terms of opportunity to acquire talent). You don't have to recruit. You don't have to travel the country with your career partially in the hands of the whims of 17 year olds. You don't have to make sure people go to class.

I would prefer to be a college coach more than an NFL coach. But there are some nice luxuries to coaching in the NFL.

Here’s an idea for the Wilfs: Make U’s P.J. Fleck the new Vikings coach​

With the Minnesota Vikings searching for new leadership, conjecture has focused on a number of displaced coaches of pro teams and high-level assistants around the country. Yet the Wilf family owners do not have to look that far.

Just a couple of miles away east of the Vikings stadium in downtown Minneapolis, P.J. Fleck, the coach of the University of Minnesota football team, has elevated the Gophers from mediocrity to relevance in the Big Ten and on the national scene.

Coming off a third-consecutive bowl game victory, the 18-6 win over West Virginia in the re-christened Guaranteed Rate bowl game in Phoenix after Christmas, the energetic head of the Gophers has just completed his fifth season — and he has at least seven more upcoming as a result of a mid-season $5 million extension of his contract with the university. That’s a large sum, to be sure, although middling by big-time collegiate standards and puny compared to what the pros are paying these days (about $8 million to $10 million).

P.J. might be the best choice for the most vaunted — and highest-paying — athletic coaching position in the state.

Go Gophers!!

Michigan football: 5 replacements for Jim Harbaugh if he goes back to the NFL​

5. PJ Fleck, Minnesota

P.J. Fleck may have what it takes to lead Michigan after winning in Minnesota​

If P.J. Fleck is ready for a step up in competition and a bigger role, he may have what it takes to lead Michigan. Fleck has been with the Minnesota Golden Gophers for the last five seasons. He has gone 35-23 overall in Minneapolis and 21-22 in Big Ten play. The Gophers have gone bowling three times under his watch and have one top-10 finish since his arrival. But is he ready for this?

Prior to taking over in Minnesota, Fleck had great success in his four years leading the Western Michigan Broncos in the MAC. They won the Group of 5 in 2016, something no MAC team had ever done before, or since. Though the “Row the Boat” mantra may not fly in Ann Arbor if the Wolverines are not winning, Fleck is the head-coaching candidate in-conference worth pursuing.

Fleck may be comfortable in his current post, but these type of jobs do not open up every day.

Go Gophers!!

I cant imagine losing PJ to Michigan. That would be an epic big ten betrayal. Sure its a "better job", but you would constantly be on the hot seat. It's hard to imagine him going anywhere else at this point, maybe to the PAC12 for UCLA or Washington. But those jobs aren't exactly higher profile or going much higher paying. Maybe Florida.

I could see him making an attempt at the Pro's farther down the road. I don't think he is big enough of a college coach to get hired for a head NFL job right now.

I have no idea what will happen, but I think we'd be a little delusional to think that PJ wouldn't at least strongly consider the Michigan job if he got an offer. Hopefully they don't want him anyway.

I highly doubt fleck would get anything more than a cursory look from Michigan if the job opens up. Michigan has this thing called Michigan Man that it looks for in coaches and the only time in recent years it looked outside envelope, it ended up with RichRod which was doomed from the start. Of course some Michigan Man Types don't pan out (Brady Hoke) Still this would be the only place that I fear we could possibly lose fleck to if Michigan comes calling.

If Michigan wants him, he is gone. :(

We just have to hope they set their sights elsewhere.

If Michigan wants him, he is gone. :(

We just have to hope they set their sights elsewhere.
I don't think it is quite that simple. I doubt he would be near the top of Michigan's list at this point but I also don't think it is a sure thing he would leave if they offered.

Not sure how willing a place like Michigan would be to buy into the "Row the Boat" brand that is such a big part of PJ Fleck.

I don't think it is quite that simple. I doubt he would be near the top of Michigan's list at this point but I also don't think it is a sure thing he would leave if they offered.

Not sure how willing a place like Michigan would be to buy into the "Row the Boat" brand that is such a big part of PJ Fleck.
True, good point.

Places like Mich and Notre Dame, PJ might be willing to "tone down" or at least agree that RTB won't have any significant integration on the uniform. Maybe small patches on the pants or jersey, or small decals on the helmet (like above the facemask, or on the back the little circles). Could still be embedded within the overall marketing perhaps, in other ways.

5 Candidates Who Could Replace Jim Harbaugh​

P.J. Fleck

Current position: Head Coach, University of Minnesota

After beginning his career at Western Michigan, Fleck has quietly built Minnesota into a contender in the Big Ten West Division. In five seasons with the Golden Gophers, Fleck is 35-23, highlighted by an 11-2 finish in 2019.

Fleck is young and full of energy, which could help in recruiting, and he runs an offensive style similar to what the Wolverines have. He has never beaten the Wolverines as coach of Minnesota, but doesn’t bring in the talent that Harbaugh has managed to secure.

Fleck has been unable to secure a conference title in his five years in the Big Ten and may be ready for a change. A chance to coach the Wolverines, and utilize all the resources that come with the job, may be tough to pass up.

Go Gophers!!

Fleck is recruiting 13 out of 14 this year (in the B1G). How how far can we go with the "Developmental" program before it becomes a concern or are we just back to "It's Minnesota" and you can't do any better here? Can't imagine his recruiting is going to be a big bright spot on his resume.

5 Candidates Who Could Replace Jim Harbaugh​

P.J. Fleck

Current position: Head Coach, University of Minnesota

After beginning his career at Western Michigan, Fleck has quietly built Minnesota into a contender in the Big Ten West Division. In five seasons with the Golden Gophers, Fleck is 35-23, highlighted by an 11-2 finish in 2019.

Fleck is young and full of energy, which could help in recruiting, and he runs an offensive style similar to what the Wolverines have. He has never beaten the Wolverines as coach of Minnesota, but doesn’t bring in the talent that Harbaugh has managed to secure.

Fleck has been unable to secure a conference title in his five years in the Big Ten and may be ready for a change. A chance to coach the Wolverines, and utilize all the resources that come with the job, may be tough to pass up.

Go Gophers!!
Writers are so lazy. Not Pj related but multiple mentions of whether they could bring an OSU guy in?

BO SCHEMBECHLER WAS AN OHIO STATE GUY.

Fleck is recruiting 13 out of 14 this year (in the B1G). How how far can we go with the "Developmental" program before it becomes a concern or are we just back to "It's Minnesota" and you can't do any better here? Can't imagine his recruiting is going to be a big bright spot on his resume.
Recruiting rankings don’t really mean as much in 2021 and 2022

the oddities of the extra year mean class size discrepancies inflate or deflate rankings.

the question isn’t what is the recruiting ranking. It is, is a school recruiting competitively. I would say the whole big ten is right now.

Top Bottom