All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

It seems like 1/2 of our fan base is convinced PJ will leave at the first chance, while 1/2 is convinced he will never leave. The reality is nobody knows, heck even PJ doesn't know where he will be in 3 years.

It seems like 1/2 of our fan base is convinced PJ will leave at the first chance, while 1/2 is convinced he will never leave. The reality is nobody knows, heck even PJ doesn't know where he will be in 3 years.

First ask yourself if they school would be willing to replace some of their traditions with "Row the Boat". If the answer is yes, then the answer is it's possible. If the answer is no then it's not gonna happen.

Haven't we all been in jobs like that? Fine where we are but you never know if the right opportunity came along you'd consider it?
Exactly. Doesn't mean PJ has a foot out the door already, or that he doesn't love this job. People leave jobs they love all the time for more money, chance at a title, resources, etc.

I believe PJ 100% when he says he loves this job, but that doesn't mean he might never leave. I think it's really ignorant to assume this after we just saw two of the highest profile programs in America have their coaches get poached.

First ask yourself if they school would be willing to replace some of their traditions with "Row the Boat". If the answer is yes, then the answer is it's possible. If the answer is no then it's not gonna happen.
PJ would tone down and morph some of his approach for a job like ND. He can do the same things an preach the same focus by morphing into ND type traditions. When you need to rebuild a program you need to change the atmosphere, culture and build new traditions. ND has the clout and history to have traditions that can just be emphasized with his brand of enthusiasm.

I really think that PJ likes at the U and is happy here building his legacy. But ND is the one place that could convince him to leave.

I feel like the second half you are talking about doesn’t think he will never leave but think he will leave when he leaves and we don’t need to freak out every 10 minutes

I choose to believe PJ and his family are really happy here, like being close to the big city, and he's not going anywhere. Also, I think he really likes working for Coyle.
Not unless Reusse and other j@ck@sses make Heather a target of their banter. You get the Fleck family unhappy, and they may think this is not the place to settle in after all.

Seems like a real risk of a hire. Never been a head coach before. Is he a great recruiter? Notre Dame Football needs to join a conference. They’ve become pretty irrelevant in my opinion. Tough to get in the CFP without a conference championship game. They can be an irrelevant 5+ seed if it expands to 12 or 8 teams. It’s not the 20th century anymore.

Seems like a real risk of a hire. Never been a head coach before. Is he a great recruiter? Notre Dame Football needs to join a conference. They’ve become pretty irrelevant in my opinion. Tough to get in the CFP without a conference championship game. They can be an irrelevant 5+ seed if it expands to 12 or 8 teams. It’s not the 20th century anymore.
Top 6 team is irrelevant? 2 playoff appearances and a BCS title game appearance.
That means that 97% of teams are irrelevant

Their lack of conference has hurt them to being only tied for the 5th most appearances of 130 schools. In other words, they are in the 94-97th percentile

I feel like the second half you are talking about doesn’t think he will never leave but think he will leave when he leaves and we don’t need to freak out every 10 minutes
That's where I am.

1. Yes he has brought their recruiting to a whole new level. He was considered by many to be the head coach in waiting, they just thought it would be a longer wait than this.
2. ND is anything but irrelevant.
3. They have made multiple CFP appearances, though there are certain limitations at ND that make it harder to win a championship than at a place like LSU.

I hate ND as much as the next guy, but this is a very good hire.

Not unless Reusse and other j@ck@sses make Heather a target of their banter. You get the Fleck family unhappy, and they may think this is not the place to settle in after all.
If PJ and his family can’t handle criticism then they will not last anywhere and the more high profile the job—the shorter the stay will be

If PJ and his family can’t handle criticism then they will not last anywhere and the more high profile the job—the shorter the stay will be
I think it will be rougher at places like LSU, USC, etc… The expectations are ridiculously high. Criticisms are probably harsher.

I think it will be rougher at places like LSU, USC, etc… The expectations are ridiculously high. Criticisms are probably harsher.
Correct. So unless PJ is leaving for a lower level conference—your post made no sense

Top 6 team is irrelevant? 2 playoff appearances and a BCS title game appearance.
That means that 97% of teams are irrelevant

Their lack of conference has hurt them to being only tied for the 5th most appearances of 130 schools. In other words, they are in the 94-97th percentile
So why did Kelly leave?
I think he realizes he can't win a national title without conference affiliation which is something Notre dame won't address

So why did Kelly leave?
I think he realizes he can't win a national title without conference affiliation which is something Notre dame won't address
Huh? Can’t win a National title without a conference? I swear the playoff committee bends over backwards whenever possible to get Notre Dame in every year. Look at their schedule this year? Who is their signature win? Wisconsin??? They got beat by Cincinnati (and it wasn’t a fluke) but if they had won you can bet they’d be playing for a National championship…..

So why did Kelly leave?
They've been to the CFP without a conference, that's not what has held them back.

So why did Kelly leave?
Kelly left because he doesn’t think he can win win with the academic standards of Notre dame.

I agree with him. I don’t think Brian Kelly was winning a national title at Notre dame.

it has nothing to do with conference affiliation.

I disagree with him that no one can win a national title at Notre dame. Michigan is going to get a chance to do it this year. 3 wins away. Pretty similar standards to Notre Dame. Michigan might not do it, but it isn’t because they could never beat Georgia.

anyone saying you can’t win a national title at Notre dame because you can’t get good enough kids in, congrats…you just bought Brian Kelly’s propaganda

People forget only 1 team wins a national title every year. Not winning it for 10 doesn’t mean it can never happen. LSU hadn’t won a national title since the 60s until Saban arrived

Last edited:

Kelly probably got an earful when ND almost lost to Toledo. Likely, solidified his decision.

Haven't we all been in jobs like that? Fine where we are but you never know if the right opportunity came along you'd consider it?
IMO, it's kind of the healthy place where we should all be all the time.

Happy with where we are but open to other opportunities.

IMO, it's kind of the healthy place where we should all be all the time.

Happy with where we are but open to other opportunities.
Agree completely. “Got to answer the phone and listen to be woke, aware and informed…” Then, you are in charge of your path and direction and can make good choices.

Kelly left because he doesn’t think he can win win with the academic standards of Notre dame.

I agree with him. I don’t think Brian Kelly was winning a national title at Notre dame.

it has nothing to do with conference affiliation.

I disagree with him that no one can win a national title at Notre dame. Michigan is going to get a chance to do it this year. 3 wins away. Pretty similar standards to Notre Dame. Michigan might not do it, but it isn’t because they could never beat Georgia.

anyone saying you can’t win a national title at Notre dame because you can’t get good enough kids in, congrats…you just bought Brian Kelly’s propaganda

People forget only 1 team wins a national title every year. Not winning it for 10 doesn’t mean it can never happen. LSU hadn’t won a national title since the 60s until Saban arrived
People need to look back further and embrace ever winning a title.
There have only been 5 teams to win the title over the last 10 years
10 teams over the last 20 years.
If you go back to the first BCS season of 1998 there are 12 teams that have won a title in 24 seasons.

Alabama has been good for 12 years and won 6 titles.
LSU has 3
Clemson 2
Florida 2
Ohio State 2
Florida State 2
Tennessee 1
Oklahoma 1
Miami 1
USC 1
Texas 1
Auburn 1

Last Title for B1G 2014
Last Title for B12 2005
Last Title for PAC10 2004

Oregon is considered good and hasn't won it, Georgia might this year, but hasn't in 40 years.

Top Bottom