All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

I understand the reasons why he did it, and in some senses, it was correct, at the time.

But in hindsight, convincing the Big Ten presidents to choose Nebraska was Jim Delaney's biggest blunder of his career.

To justify giving them a full slice of the TV pie that they get .... the deal was that they needed to be an elite college football program and deliver big bowl wins and occasional nattys.

They are far, far from that.
I like having Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland on the other hand....

Rutgers and Maryland give wins in football to other Big Ten programs, and deliver the media markets that get us those big paydays.

They did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Rutgers and Maryland give wins in football to other Big Ten programs, and deliver the media markets that get us those big paydays.

They did exactly what they were supposed to do.
Every year Maryland feels like a non conference game. I'd bee curious how much NJ and DMV markets inflate the TV deal.

Ok, where are we at on the PJ is leaving us fear meter?
On one hand, you have a guy who has always said he loves it here and feels like MN is home. So far he's stayed true to his word.

On the other hand, you have a guy who said he'd stop posting on a board until 2022. He has not stayed true to his word.

New Gators coach? Keep an eye on these names to replace Dan Mullen​

PJ Fleck

Currently the head coach at Minnesota where he has compiled a 33-23 record, including an 11-2 record in 2019 when he took the Gophers to a Big 10 West championship and an appearance in the Outback Bowl. Prior to Minnesota, he went 30-22 at Western Michigan, including taking the Broncos to a 13-1 record and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl. Is he ready to handle an SEC job? That will be a big question. He also doesn’t have experience in the south, which could cast doubt on his ability to recruit in the area.

Go Gophers!!

New Gators coach? Keep an eye on these names to replace Dan Mullen​

PJ Fleck

Currently the head coach at Minnesota where he has compiled a 33-23 record, including an 11-2 record in 2019 when he took the Gophers to a Big 10 West championship and an appearance in the Outback Bowl. Prior to Minnesota, he went 30-22 at Western Michigan, including taking the Broncos to a 13-1 record and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl. Is he ready to handle an SEC job? That will be a big question. He also doesn’t have experience in the south, which could cast doubt on his ability to recruit in the area.

Go Gophers!!
Everytime a job opens up it is the same recycled names that get tossed out there as options. Although surprisingly James Franklin is missing from this particular list. He is almost always on there with Fleck.

Replace "fear" with "hope".
Do you have a dart board up with Fleck's face on it? Did he do something personal to you? Because if he didn't then your vendetta against him doesn't make a lot of sense.

Fleck should openly politic for the Detroit Lions job. The Lions are simply at the point of insanity and this would be the cherry.

What gets me is "is he ready for the SEC?" Typical SEC sense of superiority

Well Florida just fired their coach who won the SEC east last season. LSU fired their coach who just won a natty two years ago. You could argue that Auburn shouldn't have fired Malzahn yet either.

I don't see Fleck ever coaching in the SEC. The type of recruits you need to get to compete don't exactly fit PJ's culture.

Well Florida just fired their coach who won the SEC east last season. LSU fired their coach who just won a natty two years ago. You could argue that Auburn shouldn't have fired Malzahn yet either.

I don't see Fleck ever coaching in the SEC. The type of recruits you need to get to compete don't exactly fit PJ's culture.
PJ would take the caliber of recruits those schools get in a second if he could get them. He isn’t capable of getting them though.

What gets me is "is he ready for the SEC?" Typical SEC sense of superiority
The SEC has becone the equivalent of the English Premier League from coach turn and burn standpoint. I get sick of the SEC but that question is apt.

PJ would take the caliber of recruits those schools get in a second if he could get them. He isn’t capable of getting them though.
The current recruiting rankings from 24/7 and Rivals for the Gophs agree with you. #47/50, respectively.

The SEC has becone the equivalent of the English Premier League from coach turn and burn standpoint. I get sick of the SEC but that question is apt.
Somewhere in the last 10 years people have decided that since Alabama wins all the time it means that Texas A&M and Mississippi state are better jobs than Purdue and Michigan state.

I just don’t see it

Take a job where you can’t win your division because Alabama is going to kick your butt to get fired in a couple of years?

Premier league coaches get at least 2 chances at coaching different teams in the same league. I don't quite see that happening in the SEC yet.

Premier league coaches get at least 2 chances at coaching different teams in the same league. I don't quite see that happening in the SEC yet.
Mullen, Muschamp, Orgeron, And Kiffin would be some examples. I'd compare Saban and possibly Kirby Smart with Ferguson/Wenger or Klopp/Pep in that every other team/program just below them gets trigger happy just trying to keep up and keep the supporters/boosters looking for the next shiny thing.

Last edited:

Mullen, Muschamp, Orgeron, And Kiffin would be some examples. I'd compare Saban and possibly Kirby Smart with Ferguson/Wenger or Klopp/Pep in that every other team/program just below them gets trigger happy just trying to keep up and keep the supporters/boosters looking for the next shiny thing.
I meant it more as they get another chance to coach a premier league team after they have been fired. I.E. Mourihno, Conte, Allardyce, Moyes, etc...

Fleck mentioned: USC, Florida

Fleck not mentioned: LSU

Chances Fleck goes anywhere this year = 5% or less

Only way Fleck leaves is if FL or USC offers absurd money and Fleck always viewed MN and the next step before going there. My guess is the Fleck plans on staying in MN for a decade or longer and if he ever got the itch to go national championship chasing he would take the leap after building a culture and brand here that would last beyond himself.

I like fleck but will not be too upset if he leaves, which I don't think will happen. There are plenty of other candidates who don't have a schtick.

Top Bottom