All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Does…Shooter realize if Fleck went to TCU ol Jer and everyone else would be gone? Does he think Fleck would be a coordinator or something?
Well we are talking about Shooter here....so pretty much anything is on the table as to what he does or does not understand about how sports work. But yeah, if TCU were a legit option I don't know why Shooter would think Kill would have any say in the matter one way or another.

Clearly Shooter is trying to make it seem like Fleck is trying to get out of town with his LSU comment at the end. But Shooter is such a waste of ink that who knows what if anything he ever prints has any actual validity behind it. Guy might be the biggest joke in a local sports media and that is saying something. I mean guys like Souhan and Reause have a bit, but Shooter wants to pretend like he is actually reporting on news which is just sad as he sucks at it.

At the post game press conference yesterday, PJ said his dream was always about being a Big Ten coach and how he’s a midwestern guy. I don’t think he’s leaving and I believe Coyle will pay PJ enough to keep him.
Similar things could be said about most of the coaches in the B1G. Sure, you'll come across your occasional Saban (good choice) and Bielema (terrible choice), but for the most part, HC jobs in the B1G are considered top of the line jobs.

Has everyone considered the worst case scenario where Frost gets canned and Fleck joins Nebraska for 8 mil a year?
I'm not foolish enough to think there is no chance Fleck jumps ship, but if he does it won't be for another school in the Big Ten and especially not one in the West. Why would he leave a good situation in a conference to go start over at another school in the same conference? Makes no sense.

That, and I don't see the Nebraska fans embracing the Row the Boat mantra....

Similar things could be said about most of the coaches in the B1G. Sure, you'll come across your occasional Saban (good choice) and Bielema (terrible choice), but for the most part, HC jobs in the B1G are considered top of the line jobs.
yeah, there is a fan and media obsession with just a few schools and they all want to assume that if those schools come calling every coach will go running.

I hope that if we have a great year and Fleck doesn't jump ship that will finally prove to people that he actually wants to be here and isn't just saying it. He could have easily jumped ship after 2019 and didn't.

He has a great relationship with the AD, makes really good money, and has a University that has totally embraced his Row the Boat brand. Oh, and he is coaching in the Big Ten, with a team that is showing it can compete for division titles.....it is going to take a lot more than just a little bit more money for him to give that up to go coach somewhere with extreme expectations.

He can be Minnesota's Fry or Alvarez if he wants to be. That is what he says he wants....but obviously you can't always take coaches at their word.

I'm not foolish enough to think there is no chance Fleck jumps ship, but if he does it won't be for another school in the Big Ten and especially not one in the West. Why would he leave a good situation in a conference to go start over at another school in the same conference? Makes no sense.

That, and I don't see the Nebraska fans embracing the Row the Boat mantra....
Look, if Nebraska fans could be convinced that Coach Fleck could restore them to respectability, some of them would try to do dna testing to prove Fleck is actually Dr. Tom’s long lost grandson.

A few might start putting row boats in their cornfields. They would swear that culture was first invented in the territory that now is called the state of Nebraska long before Chris Columbus discovered America.

Of course, if Coach Fleck didn’t win enough fast enough, they would buy him out and send him packing. And: so it goes…

Last edited:

With the transfer portal available, how crazy it’ll be if Fleck jumps ship…all of our MN players goes also 😆

What would we do with all of this RTB culture?
Imagine the amount of money our AD have to spend to renovate for our new HC!?

If Fleck leaves us, our Gophers football program will hurt for at least 5 years unless we have Tony Dungy or Nick Saban as his replacement. Matt Simon maybe a cool replacement but I doubt he’ll be able to continue the RTB mantra.

When is the last time a B1G headcoach left for another B1G school?
When was the last time a B1G head coach willingly left for any outside opportunity?

Bill O'Brien left Penn State for the Houston Texans
Nick Saban left MSU for LSU
Bret Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas
Gary Andersen left Wisconsin for Oregon State

That's all I can think of in the last 20+ years, and the poaching didn't even hit the schools people expect.

A lot of the guys who had success at places everyone said they would leave - stayed. Barry Alvarez, Kirk Ferentz (and Hayden Fry), Joe Tiller, Pat Fitzgerald, Mark Dantonio, and so on...all stayed. Greg Schiano stayed at Rutgers (pre-B1G) way longer than people thought, and now he's back.

The Big Ten is the oldest, wealthiest, and most stable college football conference and if a coach can get their Big Ten program to the level where the most prestigious programs are calling -- he's already near the top of the college football heap.

a thought - once upon a time, the goal of most people for employment was to get a good job with a good company, with benefits and a pension plan, and work there until you retired.

But today, especially with younger people, things have changed. younger people IMHO do not seem to be as concerned with stability. they are fine with changing jobs more frequently, or even moving from one city to another more frequently.

And I think this is being reflected in coaching, especially with younger coaches. I don't know if the goal is to get a job at school A and stay there for 20 years. It seems as if younger coaches are more willing to switch jobs. I don't think you're going to see a Ferentz at the same school for 20 years anymore.

Maybe Fleck will be the exception. But, if I had to bet my own money, I would bet that Fleck is not coaching the Gophers 10 years from now. That is not a reflection on Fleck or the Gopher program - I just think the days of the long-time coach are behind us.

Well we are talking about Shooter here....so pretty much anything is on the table as to what he does or does not understand about how sports work. But yeah, if TCU were a legit option I don't know why Shooter would think Kill would have any say in the matter one way or another.

Clearly Shooter is trying to make it seem like Fleck is trying to get out of town with his LSU comment at the end. But Shooter is such a waste of ink that who knows what if anything he ever prints has any actual validity behind it. Guy might be the biggest joke in a local sports media and that is saying something. I mean guys like Souhan and Reause have a bit, but Shooter wants to pretend like he is actually reporting on news which is just sad as he sucks at it.
Shooter or Shama are the worst and nearly indistinguishable from one another.

Has everyone considered the worst case scenario where Frost gets canned and Fleck joins Nebraska for 8 mil a year?
Why would Fleck want to go to Nebraska? It’s kind of becoming a graveyard for Div I head coaches.

Why would Fleck want to go to Nebraska? It’s kind of becoming a graveyard for Div I head coaches.
Nebraska isn't all that different from Minnesota -- just with a smaller graveyard and more recent national success. They also have a very profitable athletic department, better fan support, better boosters, soon to be newer facilities, and better gameday atmosphere.

Nebraska isn't all that different from Minnesota -- just with a smaller graveyard and more recent national success. They also have a very profitable athletic department, better fan support, better boosters, soon to be newer facilities, and better gameday atmosphere.
Even though they have a solid athletic department, their football has been a mess since Pelini left.

Even though they have a solid athletic department, their football has been a mess since Pelini left.
I don't think it is as plug and play as Alabama was when Saban got there -- but I think that the media narrative about why would anyone go there is off base. Alabama to their credit wasn't in as big of a hole as Nebraska, but programs with resources can bounce back pretty quick, especially when they are in weak divisons.

Two words why PJ Fleck will not go to Nebraska: Bryce Benhart. He'd have to coach him.

Like what JJ said Benhart was probably saying when Martinez got a safety, "Gee, what yer doin' down there?"

I don't think it is as plug and play as Alabama was when Saban got there -- but I think that the media narrative about why would anyone go there is off base. Alabama to their credit wasn't in as big of a hole as Nebraska, but programs with resources can bounce back pretty quick, especially when they are in weak divisons.
Recruiting has changed so much since Nebraska was a national power. Prospects are being catered to differently and have many more options than the recruits of 25 years ago. IMHO, they are so much farther away from what their fans see in the mirror. Kiffen and the like are not going there.

I have wondered if during the Bowling Green week Fleck may have been looking at other opportunities as he was on the USC and others list, allegedly. It's the only thing I can think of as to why we lost to BG. Im just thinking out loud, forgive me please. Lol

I have wondered if during the Bowling Green week Fleck may have been looking at other opportunities as he was on the USC and others list, allegedly. It's the only thing I can think of as to why we lost to BG. Im just thinking out loud, forgive me please. Lol
I think the number one reason we lost to Bowling Green was because we didn’t learn from the Miami (Ohio) game.

Miami successfully used their smaller and quicker defensive front 7 to shoot the gaps between our blockers into our backfield. Bowling Green saw the weakness and exploited it all game and took away our slower developing passing game, and filled the running lanes our backs were expecting to see.

Our offensive coaches should have recognized what Miami did and predicted BG would have tried it too. They obviously didn’t because we didn’t gave an answer.

Give me a break...

Recruiting has changed so much since Nebraska was a national power. Prospects are being catered to differently and have many more options than the recruits of 25 years ago. IMHO, they are so much farther away from what their fans see in the mirror. Kiffen and the like are not going there.
Maybe but Nebby still has had very good recruiting classes.

Nebby has good recruiting classes on paper....results on the field have not tracked with the recruiting rankings because if they did they would be winning the West each year instead of failing to reach .500.

Nebby has good recruiting classes on paper....results on the field have not tracked with the recruiting rankings because if they did they would be winning the West each year instead of failing to reach .500.
Obviously.

They still have good classes, but their good classes seem to be more and more like the Tim Brewster classes.
Guys who have issues or guys who maybe are ranked high when they shouldn't be who can't put that ranking to work on the field.

It's one thing to recruit high star guys. It's another thing to recruit talent that fits what you want to do. Nebraska appears to be a collection of parts.

I also think each year it gets tougher for Nebraska to recruit when facilities are becoming more equal and Lincoln is still further away and harder to get to.

a thought - once upon a time, the goal of most people for employment was to get a good job with a good company, with benefits and a pension plan, and work there until you retired.

But today, especially with younger people, things have changed. younger people IMHO do not seem to be as concerned with stability. they are fine with changing jobs more frequently, or even moving from one city to another more frequently.

And I think this is being reflected in coaching, especially with younger coaches. I don't know if the goal is to get a job at school A and stay there for 20 years. It seems as if younger coaches are more willing to switch jobs. I don't think you're going to see a Ferentz at the same school for 20 years anymore.

Maybe Fleck will be the exception. But, if I had to bet my own money, I would bet that Fleck is not coaching the Gophers 10 years from now. That is not a reflection on Fleck or the Gopher program - I just think the days of the long-time coach are behind us.
The leaving for different opportunities with young people is mostly about employers not providing enough for employees. (It's tough to not dive into corporate/financial elite greed right here, but moving on.) In addition, you could also argue that part of the leaving is about a disconnect between what was expected from work life (in general) vs what work life is. Overall, it's that young people don't want to stay somewhere if the job doesn't meet their financial and "is this meaningful to me?" needs. So while I agree with you, I lean toward Fleck probably living the dream - rather than barely scaping by with a job they put up with.

Top Bottom