All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

I've seen a couple tweets now that are saying Tennessee has made a huge offer to a current P5 head coach and he has accepted. That would mean it's not Elliott.

Both of these people also said that coach is not PJ Fleck, and that Fleck was not interested in the job.

I've seen a couple tweets now that are saying Tennessee has made a huge offer to a current P5 head coach and he has accepted. That would mean it's not Elliott.

Both of these people also said that coach is not PJ Fleck, and that Fleck was not interested in the job.

Proof? What Tweets?

There is no way that PJ would want to go to Tennessee. It is a no win situation, just like Nebraska or Arkansas, etc... Schools that have a delusional fanbase that thinks they are Alabama and can never be satisfied. Yes, you can make money for a time, but it is a coaching dead end. PJ wants to be the identity of the program. He can do that at Minnesota, he is just the next “unsuccessful” coach at Tennessee.

There is no way that PJ would want to go to Tennessee. It is a no win situation, just like Nebraska or Arkansas, etc... Schools that have a delusional fanbase that thinks they are Alabama and can never be satisfied. Yes, you can make money for a time, but it is a coaching dead end. PJ wants to be the identity of the program. He can do that at Minnesota, he is just the next “unsuccessful” coach at Tennessee.
Tend to agree. Only upside is easier recruiting, the rest of pie stinks.

Correct. Well said

I wonder if the "fix it" guy is available.

Well said. PJ has a long leash here at Minnesota. And he already has a fanbase that are behind him. Taking over at a program like Tennessee......that is just about to be hit with sanctions? And a fanbase that expects results soon due to their more recent history of success? It would be a stupid move to go there and fight an uphill battle. Fleck is a smart guy. He knows these things.

Minnesota is a stable place. And when Fleck says that the Gophers are a sleeping giant....I trust that he believes that.

Well said. PJ has a long leash here at Minnesota. And he already has a fanbase that are behind him. Taking over at a program like Tennessee......that is just about to be hit with sanctions? And a fanbase that expects results soon due to their more recent history of success? It would be a stupid move to go there and fight an uphill battle. Fleck is a smart guy. He knows these things.

Minnesota is a stable place. And when Fleck says that the Gophers are a sleeping giant....I trust that he believes that.

I don't know if it is the sleeping giant. The question is how many times do you want to jump into a brand new rebuild. Or do you want to stay where you are to take advantage of what you built the last 4 years. To be honest, we should be really damn good next year. The OLine and Dline we have looks really good. We could actually beat Iowa and Sconnie in the same year. Shut down the presses.

So yes it would have been SEC. It would have been much more fertile recruiting ground. That all said, it would be starting over, from year -7, with a team maybe facing 50 tier 1 recruiting violations. And he'd have to get his paycheck from the local McDonalds in a togo bag...

Tend to agree. Only upside is easier recruiting, the rest of pie stinks.
It’s not really easier recruiting when you rank like 15th in recruiting rankings, but are still just middle of the road in the conference.

Okay, I’d like PJ to stay here. We should be better next year. But we were 3 and 4 with Bateman. Our excuse was Tyler and Winfield left. They are all gone now and Mo is our only returning “star”. 7 and 5 won’t cut “really good” even at Minnesota. So, to me, whatever happens, happens until PJ wins at least 8 games with his recruits. We fired a guy that won 9. PJ has to win here too! Not just at Tennessee or wherever else.
Not just one season.

Okay, I’d like PJ to stay here. We should be better next year. But we were 3 and 4 with Bateman. Our excuse was Tyler and Winfield left. They are all gone now and Mo is our only returning “star”. 7 and 5 won’t cut “really good” even at Minnesota. So, to me, whatever happens, happens until PJ wins at least 8 games with his recruits. We fired a guy that won 9. PJ has to win here too! Not just at Tennessee or wherever else.
Not just one season.

I was pretty critical of our defense last season and the glaring holes at certain positions. BUT - last season was probably a 7-5 season if we had all our games played. Probably not the end of the world considering we lost so many players on defense, new OC, weird offseason, COVID weirdness, etc.

Let's see what happens next season before we draw too many conclusions.

Mike Max on WCCO didn't sound too concerned about the Tenn rumors this morning. His point was Fleck's agent likes to float Fleck's name as part of the name branding side of the business, but he hadn't heard anything concrete regarding Fleck departing, being interested in departing, etc.

Mike Max on WCCO didn't sound too concerned about the Tenn rumors this morning. His point was Fleck's agent likes to float Fleck's name as part of the name branding side of the business, but he hadn't heard anything concrete regarding Fleck departing, being interested in departing, etc.

Well...Mike Max is about as plugged in as the Sega Genesis in my storage room.

No

PJ Fleck shouldn’t come out and comment every time someone online floats his name with no truth to it
It would just be nice if Fleck could say he is happy here and doesn't need any adjustment to his contract.

Not just one season.
Most would agree in hindsight that hiring Robb Smith was a bad move by PJ.

I think PJ made a similar bad move with Sanford.

No amount of recruiting can fix broken coordinators.

We’ll see what happens next season.

seems like the Fleck to Tennessee idea is fading. updated articles talk about Napier, the Louisiana coach, as the person to go with.

lol at the Maxer being in the know

PJ Fleck trusts the process. He has lofty goals for this program it will be a shame if leaves .

Top Bottom