All Things P.J. Fleck Rumor Mill Thread - Listed as Candidate for Other Jobs

Thread would have been relevant before the start of the Big Ten season. Nobody should be worried about Fleck getting fired or hired away now.

1 B1G win isn't scaring anyone off. They know he is at Minnesota. We do not have a great winning reputation. Best case scenario? Fleck goes to Florida. Coyle gets fired. Campbell gets hired as our new coach. Sawvel returns.

Fleckster heads are now exploding!

1 B1G win isn't scaring anyone off. They know he is at Minnesota. We do not have a great winning reputation. Best case scenario? Fleck goes to Florida. Coyle gets fired. Campbell gets hired as our new coach. Sawvel returns.

Gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best case scenario? Fleck stays. Coyle stays 20 years. Football program becomes relevant. Gopher "fans" heads explode, killing them all. Win-win for everyone.

Can I act like the drunk girl at the bar who just stumbles around hugging everyone, telling all how much I love them?

That's fine. She's silly but harmless at most parties. Who doesn't need a good hug, even if drunk'n?

Florida does not have to play Purdue every year so Fleck is definitely still on their radar.

Mason won 3, 5, and 8 games in his first three years after inheriting one of the worst D1 programs in the country along with the same ranking for their home stadium. He could not even get his phone to ring from a school that was a step or two up. Fleck has not even shown an ability to make the most of the hand he was dealt in his short time here. In major programs you have one year to turn it around, see Brian Kelly. Dantonio would also be on thin ice if not for his turn around this year. Fleck has a lot more work to do here before any major P5 AD would be willing to stake his future on that hire.

I think the only way P.J. leaves this year is if he absolutely hates it here.

Their may be schools out there though that feel he did enough at WMU to hire him away from us, regardless of this years record.

Florida is a terrible job. You're competing with four credible programs for in-state recruits (FSU, Miami, Central Florida and South Florida) and Florida fans still expect Spurrier-type winning seasons. If you don't win 10 games your toast. Ever since Spurrier left, Florida's been a dead-end job for coaches. I'm not worried at all about Fleck taking on the Gator's job. I am worried though about Campbell leaving Iowa State for some other job. I want Iowa State to be the best football program in Iowa, so they get all the best high school recruits from within Iowa. It's real possible that Iowa State won't be able to keep Campbell. If he does leave, I hope it's to some place like Florida versus say Nebraska.

I just read the day Florida fired McElwain that the facilities at Florida are not elite & are in dire need of an upgrade. Must have an affect on their recruiting besides every program in the country has their eyes on the state of Florida talent.

No reason for people to worry. No mention of Fleck.

3. Some names to know for specific jobs

A high-level look at everything, with some links to fuller lists. Updated periodically.

Florida: Mississippi State HC Dan Mullen is the clear favorite on this list.

Georgia Southern: Anyone who runs the triple option, for starters. Kennesaw State HC Brian Bohannon, a former right-hand man of Eagles legend and
Georgia Tech HC Paul Johnson, seems like a nearly perfect fit.

Nebraska: Former Huskers QB Scott Frost has taken UCF from 0-12 to a New Year’s Six run in two years.

Ole Miss: Hard to say, but lots of nice options for the first Power 5 school with an open job. Frank Wilson, long a legendary Louisiana recruiter, is on pace to lead UTSA to both of its first two bowls ever. Troy’s Neal Brown will likely be mentioned for every Southeastern job.

Oregon State: Washington State DC Alex Grinch’s name stands out on this list. Cal OC Beau Baldwin and Washington OC Jonathan Smith are popular suggestions. (Rick Neuheisel was rumored to be interested today)

Tennessee: The public’s most talked-about potential options are somehow Jon Gruden, who hasn’t coached in college since he was a low-level assistant in the 1980s and has turned down the Vols three times, and Lane Kiffin, whose previous middle-of-the-night dumping of Tennessee might only be his fourth-worst job exit. We put up an online poll; Gruden won.

Texas A&M: SMU HC Chad Morris, an alum, has been mentioned here for years.

Texas Tech: Usually the first name thrown around: TCU assistant Sonny Dykes, a former head coach who’s the son of longtime successful TTU HC Spike Dykes and a major member of Mike Leach’s tree.

UTEP: Here are a few names. Likely an assistant or FCS coach with Texas and/or Mountain Time Zone ties who can score points.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...college-football-coaching-rumors-changes-2017

In semi related news I hope Florida hires Scott Frost before Nebraska does .... just to watch the Nebraska fan base go nuclear.

Imagine being this negative AND this dumb.

No reason for people to worry. No mention of Fleck.

3. Some names to know for specific jobs

A high-level look at everything, with some links to fuller lists. Updated periodically.

Florida: Mississippi State HC Dan Mullen is the clear favorite on this list.

Georgia Southern: Anyone who runs the triple option, for starters. Kennesaw State HC Brian Bohannon, a former right-hand man of Eagles legend and
Georgia Tech HC Paul Johnson, seems like a nearly perfect fit.

Nebraska: Former Huskers QB Scott Frost has taken UCF from 0-12 to a New Year’s Six run in two years.

Ole Miss: Hard to say, but lots of nice options for the first Power 5 school with an open job. Frank Wilson, long a legendary Louisiana recruiter, is on pace to lead UTSA to both of its first two bowls ever. Troy’s Neal Brown will likely be mentioned for every Southeastern job.

Oregon State: Washington State DC Alex Grinch’s name stands out on this list. Cal OC Beau Baldwin and Washington OC Jonathan Smith are popular suggestions. (Rick Neuheisel was rumored to be interested today)

Tennessee: The public’s most talked-about potential options are somehow Jon Gruden, who hasn’t coached in college since he was a low-level assistant in the 1980s and has turned down the Vols three times, and Lane Kiffin, whose previous middle-of-the-night dumping of Tennessee might only be his fourth-worst job exit. We put up an online poll; Gruden won.

Texas A&M: SMU HC Chad Morris, an alum, has been mentioned here for years.

Texas Tech: Usually the first name thrown around: TCU assistant Sonny Dykes, a former head coach who’s the son of longtime successful TTU HC Spike Dykes and a major member of Mike Leach’s tree.

UTEP: Here are a few names. Likely an assistant or FCS coach with Texas and/or Mountain Time Zone ties who can score points.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...college-football-coaching-rumors-changes-2017

Anybody still worried?

I think it's a minority of folks, albeit it's a vocal minority.

It’s not the minority. When not on Gopherhole, I️ find it hard to find someone who doesn’t think he is ridiculous, and all about PJ.

In semi related news I hope Florida hires Scott Frost before Nebraska does .... just to watch the Nebraska fan base go nuclear.

Do coaches think they can win big and recruit in Lincoln? I see Frost at Florida before Nebraska as well.

Do coaches think they can win big and recruit in Lincoln? I see Frost at Florida before Nebraska as well.

IIRC Nebraska has still been able to recruit some good guys. Maybe not top 10 but plenty well enough to build on.

WBIR: 5 dream candidates to replace Butch Jones

3. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota Golden Gophers

Why he’s a fit: One of college football’s rising stars, the 36-year-old Fleck skyrocketed among the coaching ranks for his work at Western Michigan. Fleck led the Broncos to an undefeated regular season in 2016 and their first Cotton Bowl Classic appearance, finishing 13-1 and No. 15 in the AP Poll. A team from the Mid-American Conference, ranked 15th in the nation. That’s incredible.

He cultivated interest nationwide in his program at WMU for his charisma, in part due to his “Row The Boat” mantra. He and his ex-wife came up with the saying as part of their grieving process after they lost their son, Colt, shortly after birth. Fleck is also mainly responsible for the Broncos’ track record of community service, successful recruiting, and re-energized program.

Fleck was one of the most highly sought-after coaches last offseason. He accepted the job at Minnesota, where he’s started the season 5-5.

If you’re worried Fleck wouldn’t leave Minnesota after one season, think again. He took the offensive coordinator job at Northern Illinois in 2012, only to leave a day later to be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ wide receivers coach.

Why it wouldn’t work: Still, it’s unlikely Fleck gives Minnesota the Lane Kiffin treatment and stops rowing their boat after a year.

While he has the makings of a potential elite coach, there’s no telling whether Fleck can build a consistent winner at a Power 5 school.

He figures to be a name tossed around on the coaching carousel this offseason if Minnesota finishes 2017 well. Whether John Currie would risk his first football coaching hire on someone who has never coached in the SEC remains to be seen.

http://www.wbir.com/article/sports/...andidates-to-replace-butch-jones/51-491231009

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom