All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

Yeah Wisconsin should really stop recruiting these types of players. They only have 3 B1G titles, 4 sweet 16s, two final 4s, and one national championship game appearance over the last 10 years to show for it.
If you think Wahl, Carlson, Crowl, & Winter are going to lead WI to greatness...that's your opinion.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

No, I'm not ridiculous. It's a fact that WI recruits the exact same type of players out of MN...tall white guys who are more comfortable on the perimeter than inside. (Except for Davison, who we didn't recruit.)

You and others keep emphasizing the 'legacy' stuff. But come on...this is Trevor Winter we're talking about. Not Bobby Jackson. Or should I say it directly again...Winter sucked.

And no, Winter is not rated higher than Treyton Thompson. He's rated slightly lower than most of the perimeter bigs that WI usually gets.
There is some serious Wisconsin hate on this board, for good reason. But congratulations are in order, you have brought it to a completely different level. What is your obsession with white basketball players? And if you don’t think Wahl is an excellent all around basketball player, you know nothing about basketball. Not to mention many others we have gotten over the years.

No idea how good Nolan will be. Just know he was a high priority for our staff, they are pretty good at evaluating talent and we need bigs. He should get a chance to play early if he is ready

I think Johnson has a chance to be a heck of a coach based on the early returns. I don’t think this is any referendum on him at all. Nobody gets every kid they offer.

If you think Wahl, Carlson, Crowl, & Winter are going to lead WI to greatness...that's your opinion.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I don't think Gopher or Badger fans are expecting Winter to lead anyone to greatness. But good teams still need solid rotation players, just like Wahl and Crowl were on a B1G championship team last season.

There is some serious Wisconsin hate on this board, for good reason. But congratulations are in order, you have brought it to a completely different level. What is your obsession with white basketball players? And if you don’t think Wahl is an excellent all around basketball player, you know nothing about basketball. Not to mention many others we have gotten over the years.

No idea how good Nolan will be. Just know he was a high priority for our staff, they are pretty good at evaluating talent and we need bigs. He should get a chance to play early if he is ready

I think Johnson has a chance to be a heck of a coach based on the early returns. I don’t think this is any referendum on him at all. Nobody gets every kid they offer.
Maybe he’s Donald Sterling:

In reality, I think he just means it stylitically. He doesn’t love watching slow, methodical team ball. He wants it with athletic players, fast paced , attacking style. He’s just too proud to back off.

If you guys get Winter, you likely nabbing the best shooter we’ve sent you. He might even be valuable early career, in A limited fashion, due to that height/shooting combo. I hope it doesn’t work😉.

In reality, I think he just means it stylitically. He doesn’t love watching slow, methodical team ball. He wants it with athletic players, fast paced , attacking style. He’s just too proud to back off.

If you guys get Winter, you likely nabbing the best shooter we’ve sent you. He might even be valuable early career, in A limited fashion, due to that height/shooting combo. I hope it doesn’t work😉.
Exactly!

Wisconsin always finishes ahead of us, but for me, they just bore the shit out of me. I get up when we play them, and barely know they exist outside of us playing them. They are so BLAH

Exactly!

Wisconsin always finishes ahead of us, but for me, they just bore the shit out of me. I get up when we play them, and barely know they exist outside of us playing them. They are so BLAH
I can appreciate that style. If you’re a fan of a team that plays that system it can really add to the intensity.

While just a single player, I think you’ll like that in Kyle Anderson with Wolves.

Fact
N

No one wants to live in our downtown area !!!

Exactly!

Johnson pretty much plays the same way. Maybe you should bring back Pitino, I loved that style of basketball. 😂😂

I never had the experience. But growing up watching the gophers, going to the barn, with a chance of playing in front of my family and friends, and helping to turn this program around.......I just can't see myself going anywhere but Minnesota if I were in that position. That's even being a 5 star. I just don't get it.

Maybe it would be different but I can't for the life of me envision it differently.

Johnson pretty much plays the same way. Maybe you should bring back Pitino, I loved that style of basketball. 😂😂
He won't be when he gets some athletes. Last year, they had many trips where they couldn't get a shot off. If you think last year was Johnson, well, you are being lulled to sleep.

Two things are true.

Wisconsin style of basketball is rather boring. Tubby vs bo match ups were a nightmare in particular and if you don't have rooting interest in Wisconsin it's not great to watch.

If ben follows Wisconsin model, bland playing style and all, and gets Wisconsin level success well build a statue of him outside of the barn

He won't be when he gets some athletes. Last year, they had many trips where they couldn't get a shot off. If you think last year was Johnson, well, you are being lulled to sleep.
Ben Thorson combo will definitely prioritize defense and ball security.

Ok. I'll let guys discuss wi/mn and politics. Sounds like he's out. Onto the next

Nolan Winter to announce his college choice on Friday at 4:00 on Twitter.

Congrats on the successful kidney transplant.

You live in Golden Valley and spend your time trolling a terrible basketball program, we don't confuse you with someone with taste.
I did not troll in one post in this exchange. But thanks for the concern.

Same guy on twitter who predicted Evans to MN last week predicted Winter a couple days ago. No idea how reliable he is though
Update...stop following nobodies on the twitterverse I guess. Remember that 99% of us have the same info these "insiders" have.

You and others keep emphasizing the 'legacy' stuff. But come on...this is Trevor Winter we're talking about. Not Bobby Jackson. Or should I say it directly again...Winter sucked.

Nolan Winter would be the legacy recruit since his dad played for the Gophers.

You have no idea what "legacy" means in recruiting terms. It has nothing to do with Trevor's playing ability and whether he was good or whether he sucked (as you say).

I never had the experience. But growing up watching the gophers, going to the barn, with a chance of playing in front of my family and friends, and helping to turn this program around.......I just can't see myself going anywhere but Minnesota if I were in that position. That's even being a 5 star. I just don't get it.

Maybe it would be different but I can't for the life of me envision it differently.
Having non athlete kids graduate from college from MN based schools, I have to tell you that there is a serious negative attitude toward any kid who does not "Go Away" for school. It comes from their peers and their college counselors (who want a BIG list of colleges on the program at graduation). I had almost a fight with a counselor who told me I was "cheating" my son who went to UST vs Notre Dame = a choice he made when he was 10 years old. (Graduated Summa Cum Laude at UST - has a tremendous job in the Twin Cities)

I feel this has undue influences. I think it takes a pretty strong willed kid to put up with that negativity and stay home.

No, I'm not ridiculous. It's a fact that WI recruits the exact same type of players out of MN...tall white guys who are more comfortable on the perimeter than inside. (Except for Davison, who we didn't recruit.)

And no, Winter is not rated higher than Treyton Thompson. He's rated slightly lower than most of the perimeter bigs that WI usually gets.
Nolan Winter is literally the definition of a "Legacy Recruit" but good job outing yourself on proving you have no idea what you're talking about.

Nolan Winter would be the legacy recruit since his dad played for the Gophers.

You have no idea what "legacy" means in recruiting terms. It has nothing to do with Trevor's playing ability and whether he was good or whether he sucked (as you say).
Dont feed the troll.

This thread is making me crack up. Cmon people, I don't like Wisconsin either but there's absolutely no reason if I had a kid that was good enough to play Big 10 basketball I would tell him NOT to consider going to Wisconsin. Like it or not, they win WAY more than we do.

And the Chatman comments are hilarious too; he had offers from schools that none of you have been to or could even dream of (OSU and KU). It's freaking Kansas for gosh sakes, I can't believe he wouldn't go there! Kansas! As in National Title(s) Kansas! All they do it eat, sleep, drink hoops! It's a crazy atmosphere!

Wisky and the U are comparable in institution, but not in basketball. That may change but it's been that way for decades now... just reality

Top Bottom