All Things Nolan Winter Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Offered, Son of Trevor)

Top-150 forward Nolan Winter flying under the radar in 2023, previews Oregon State visit​

Growing up in a family of athletes, Winter has been around the game of basketball for as long as he can remember. His mother is a former Division 1 volleyball player, while his father, Trevor, was a standout athlete himself, playing college basketball at the University of Minnesota before a brief stint in the NBA.

Nearly 28 years after his father began his college career at Minnesota, Winter received a call from Gophers’ head coach Ben Johnson on June 12, extending him his first Division 1 offer.

“He just said they love the way I play, think I would fit in well there and wanted to offer me,” Winter said. “My heart just dropped as soon as he said that. I really did not expect that and I started breaking down. It was a really cool moment for me. I was really excited and just kept thanking him. I thanked the entire coaching staff. It was a really cool moment for me and my family.”

Yet, despite the family ties, Winter says his recruitment is far from a done deal.

“It’s definitely a great option for me, but I’m 100 percent open to any school out there,” he said. “I’m just looking forward to grinding on my game, keep evolving and hopefully more schools show interest and I can be successful.”

And when it comes to that decision, Winter is factoring in a number of important criteria.

“I want to go to a school that’s competitive and a school with a great culture and great people around me, so I can have my best chance to succeed on the court and off,” he said.

Go Gophers!!

Could Nolan Winter Be The Next To Go From Lakeville To Madison?​

According to BadgersWire, Wisconsin assistant coach Joe Krabbenhoft is acting as Winter's lead recruiter.

Winter gave the website an update on his interactions with the Badgers.

"We talk very often, and (Krabbenhoft) has been able to make it to a lot of my games this spring so far," Winter said. "The thing that stands out about Wisconsin is how early they started to recruit me, and from that day on we've been in constant contact. The staff and I are very comfortable, and we frequently will have calls or shoot texts back and forth. It's a great college and program with awesome people controlling it."

Winter continued: "The staff at Wisconsin sees me in a stretch-four type of role. They often compare me to Jon Leuer back in the day. Someone who can shoot from the outside, along with getting into the paint and using my size to my advantage in multiple ways. I think I could have a big role from the beginning."

Winter told the publication that Wisconsin "has and will be toward the top" of his list.

"It's a great college and I have a ton of respect for the school," Winter said. "They just got two huge recruits and I feel like if I were to go there, we could all complement each other's games really well."
Winter said he did not have a timeline for when he will make a college decision.

Go Gophers!!

Could Nolan Winter Be The Next To Go From Lakeville To Madison?​

According to BadgersWire, Wisconsin assistant coach Joe Krabbenhoft is acting as Winter's lead recruiter.

Winter gave the website an update on his interactions with the Badgers.

"We talk very often, and (Krabbenhoft) has been able to make it to a lot of my games this spring so far," Winter said. "The thing that stands out about Wisconsin is how early they started to recruit me, and from that day on we've been in constant contact. The staff and I are very comfortable, and we frequently will have calls or shoot texts back and forth. It's a great college and program with awesome people controlling it."

Winter continued: "The staff at Wisconsin sees me in a stretch-four type of role. They often compare me to Jon Leuer back in the day. Someone who can shoot from the outside, along with getting into the paint and using my size to my advantage in multiple ways. I think I could have a big role from the beginning."

Winter told the publication that Wisconsin "has and will be toward the top" of his list.

"It's a great college and I have a ton of respect for the school," Winter said. "They just got two huge recruits and I feel like if I were to go there, we could all complement each other's games really well."
Winter said he did not have a timeline for when he will make a college decision.

Go Gophers!!
I hate to read this from a legacy recruit x 2. If this was my household, my child wouldn't have even taken a call from a rival school. It is what it is, however, and the rivals began recruiting Nolan prior to Johnson's hire. If he is a priority for Johnson, he'd better kick it into overdrive and get 'er done.

I hate to read this from a legacy recruit x 2. If this was my household, my child wouldn't have even taken a call from a rival school. It is what it is, however, and the rivals began recruiting Nolan prior to Johnson's hire. If he is a priority for Johnson, he'd better kick it into overdrive and get 'er done.
Johnson was Nolan’s first P5 offer I believe.

Johnson was Nolan’s first P5 offer I believe.
That is correct. He was offered by Johnson two weeks before wisco offered. Seems pretty noncommittal towards the Gophers unfortunately. I wonder how much NIL will make some athletes feign interest to garner more money in recruitment. There is a good chance I am just making that situation up in my head though.

That is correct. He was offered by Johnson two weeks before wisco offered. Seems pretty noncommittal towards the Gophers unfortunately. I wonder how much NIL will make some athletes feign interest to garner more money in recruitment. There is a good chance I am just making that situation up in my head though.
It's a report on Badgerwire. Recruits always say nice things about the school represented by the interviewer. It is recruit speak.

The Gophers have made Winter a top priority. He may not go here but I don't think he will go to Wisconsin. Could I be wrong? I suppose...but I don't think I am.

If he doesn't go here I don't think it will be because our coaching staff has been outworked.

They have, it's no secret Minnesota and Wisconsin are one and two, he's not going to talk Minnesota with the Badgers or vice versa, but Winter came to about dozen games this year and Thorson and Ben have been on him just as hard if not harder

They have, it's no secret Minnesota and Wisconsin are one and two, he's not going to talk Minnesota with the Badgers or vice versa, but Winter came to about dozen games this year and Thorson and Ben have been on him just as hard if not harder
So if he goes to UW it is cuz Ben failed

Thanks for confirming. I actually took this interview as a positive for MN. The Wisconsin love seems pretty mild. He’s just being respectful to a program who is recruiting him hard

Bentino only wants kids who want to be here. That doesn’t sound like the case here.

Honest question 🙋‍♂️

Is your life so devoid of meaning that being an incessant jackass is the only way you can get 🪵.

You’re not funny nor insightful - just like the KFANers you rip on all the time - no wonder they bother you, you see yourself in them.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honest question 🙋‍♂️

Is your life so devoid of meaning that being an incessant jackass is the only way you can get 🪵.

You’re not funny nor insightful - just like the KFANers you rip on all the time - no wonder they bother you, you see yourself in them.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
suggest you just put him on ignore, he is on my short list.

You wouldn’t let your kid choose where they spend 4+ years of their life?

You wouldn’t let your kid choose where they spend 4+ years of their life?
That's not it at all. It's not my decision. My kid was raised to despise WI and IA. They would laugh hysterically if either of these schools called. The thought of attending one of these two schools would sicken them!

That's what I don't get about Winter... how can he even be considering WI when both parents participated in border battles with them?

Top Bottom