All Things NCAA Tournament Games

I know we’re in no place to talk down to anyone, but neither Iowa nor Illinois have gone to a Sweet Sixteen under their current coaches I don’t think. But how many times have they even made it out of the first round? Illinois got upset by Porter Moser’s Loyola-Chicago, and I think they had a 1 or 2 point win over UT-Chattanooga, now another first round loss. Iowa was upset by 12 seed Richmond last year, and I think even lost a First Four game to Tennessee in 2014 or so.

For all the talent Underwood gets, I wonder if Illinois fans are getting impatient, like Ohio State fans with Holtmann. Illinois usually looks like a really promising team, and they’ve stomped the Gophers a few games in a row now, but they seem to underachieve and flounder in the postseason.

I know we’re in no place to talk down to anyone, but neither Iowa nor Illinois have gone to a Sweet Sixteen under their current coaches I don’t think. But how many times have they even made it out of the first round? Illinois got upset by Porter Moser’s Loyola-Chicago, and I think they had a 1 or 2 point win over UT-Chattanooga, now another first round loss. Iowa was upset by 12 seed Richmond last year, and I think even lost a First Four game to Tennessee in 2014 or so.

For all the talent Underwood gets, I wonder if Illinois fans are getting impatient, like Ohio State fans with Holtmann. Illinois usually looks like a really promising team, and they’ve stomped the Gophers a few games in a row now, but they seem to underachieve and flounder in the postseason.
Their coach is a butt-head. Glad to see them lose.

All of which just further illustrates how far away the Gophers truly are.

Did I just spot Coyle courtside at the PSU-TAM game sharing a chuckle with Shrewsberry? He has to be secretly loathing seeing a really good young coach kicking ass in his second year. Massive buyer’s remorse, I’m betting.

Northern Kentucky looking good. 17 mins left in 2nd half.

I'd like to also recognize that although they've gotten most of their significant contributors from the portal, they do have a couple rotation guys who've been there forever - I think Dread has been there 5 years and Lundy for 4. Happy for those guys to have stuck it out at one place that long and to reach a season and a moment like this.

Sure PSU just won their first tournament game in 22 years, but did they really do the right thing hiring Shrewsbury considering he might leave for another program?! If he leaves PSU might be awful next year! Lol at PSU.

I'd like to also recognize that although they've gotten most of their significant contributors from the portal, they do have a couple rotation guys who've been there forever - I think Dread has been there 5 years and Lundy for 4. Happy for those guys to have stuck it out at one place that long and to reach a season and a moment like this.
Dredd is Penn State's Brian Cardinal

Arizona goes down. Kansas survives and advances in the cheater's bracket. North Carolina........ha ha ha

Watching March Madness is so fun but it got me thinking...when do we realistically think we will be watching the gophers play there again?

I
Sure PSU just won their first tournament game in 22 years, but did they really do the right thing hiring Shrewsbury considering he might leave for another program?! If he leaves PSU might be awful next year! Lol at PSU.
wish the u was worried about someone poaching ben... Instead they all trying to get him extended

I think I'll be happy when the optional 5th year ends in a couple of years. Penn State hasn't had a lot of success in their basketball history so I don't begrudge them this moment but here are the numbers of career games played by some of their players:

1679071354717.png

Here's a listing for Texas

1679071386342.png

We had three guys over 100 games (Cooper at 126, Samuels at 110, and Battle at 103). Of course, one of those guys didn't play much. Garcia was 4th with 69 games. Almost everyone else with meaningful minutes was a freshman.

The differences between teams' maturity and experience levels these days can be pretty significant.

Last edited:

Top Bottom