All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Never understood people who despise subtitles. I liked this one too. Really had no idea where it was going as the opening act is just so bad. But it was worth sticking with.

Tougher to multitask. I get that.

I went and saw "Everything Everywhere All At Once" last night.

Keep an eye on that one. It's gunna end up being one of the best movies of the year.

It's funny, action-packed, emotional, and reminds us that we are where we are supposed to be, even in this miniscule speck of time that is our life.
Everything Everywhere All at Once

I saw this today, while I recognize I will be in the minority, it was a miss. Well acted for sure and fantastic visually. However, midway I felt sensory overload and the story itself just didn't connect with me.

Still I would encourage others to check it for themselves. I would venture if one enjoyed films like the Matrix or Inception, this would be appealing. I wasn't big on those ones either.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, good. Quite fun.

Nick Cage was great in both roles.

Everything Everywhere All at Once

I saw this today, while I recognize I will be in the minority, it was a miss. Well acted for sure and fantastic visually. However, midway I felt sensory overload and the story itself just didn't connect with me.

Still I would encourage others to check it for themselves. I would venture if one enjoyed films like the Matrix or Inception, this would be appealing. I wasn't big on those ones either.
The fourth Matrix was an absolute abomination. I full admit that I was sucked by the trailer. One of the best jobs I've ever seen of hyping a movie that was a pile of crap.

Has anyone seen the new "Dr. Strange" movie yet?

I'm a Marvel fan - but I haven't watched "WandaVision" yet, and most people say you have to watch that first to understand what's happening in the movie. Lot of chatter about it being quite gory for a PG-13. stories about parents taking little kids to the movie and the kids coming out crying.

I'm also seeing a lot of talk online about the new trailer for "Avatar 2." It's been so long since the 1st Avatar came out that I barely remember the plot. I guess they are going to re-release the original movie for a theatrical run before the sequel comes out. But, as an online critic said, never bet against James Cameron.

My son and I watched "Hustle" the new Adam Sandler basketball movie on Netflix staring Wolves legend Juancho Hernangómez and our guy ANT, who actually does a nice job. Adam Sandler said Edwards was "funny as shit" on the set. The movie has a TON of NBA cameos, most guys playing themselves. The movie itself was better than I expected and has received good reviews. You can tell the cast had fun making the movie.

Go Gophers!!

My son and I watched "Hustle" the new Adam Sandler basketball movie on Netflix staring Wolves legend Juancho Hernangómez and our guy ANT, who actually does a nice job. Adam Sandler said Edwards was "funny as shit" on the set. The movie has a TON of NBA cameos, most guys playing themselves. The movie itself was better than I expected and has received good reviews. You can tell the cast had fun making the movie.

Go Gophers!!
Adam Sandler made a good movie?

When not surrounded by his SNL buddies and/or Kevin James, he has made some very good to great movies:

Uncut Gems (really well done and Sandler is fantastic)
Funny People
Punch Drunk Love

It's a short list, but perhaps growing based on Bleed's recommendation.

I'll also admit to liking The Wedding Singer.

When not surrounded by his SNL buddies and/or Kevin James, he has made some very good to great movies:

Uncut Gems (really well done and Sandler is fantastic)
Funny People
Punch Drunk Love

It's a short list, but perhaps growing based on Bleed's recommendation.

I'll also admit to liking The Wedding Singer.
My Adam Sandler film that I like other than the 3 (now 4 including Hustle) is Mr. Deeds.

Go Gophers!!
I cosign on Bleed's recommendation of Hustle. It's the NBA version on Draft Day, except this is pretty good.

Saw it a theater. Bonus it was $5 movie night & $1 popcorns.

Has anyone seen the new "Dr. Strange" movie yet?

I'm a Marvel fan - but I haven't watched "WandaVision" yet, and most people say you have to watch that first to understand what's happening in the movie. Lot of chatter about it being quite gory for a PG-13. stories about parents taking little kids to the movie and the kids coming out crying.

I'm also seeing a lot of talk online about the new trailer for "Avatar 2." It's been so long since the 1st Avatar came out that I barely remember the plot. I guess they are going to re-release the original movie for a theatrical run before the sequel comes out. But, as an online critic said, never bet against James Cameron.
My wife and I usually hit the MCU movies after the first weekend but our schedules have been crazy so we haven't seen Dr. Strange yet. It comes to Disney+ on June 22 so we'll watch it next Wednesday. I have heard that it is not appropriate for younger, less mature tweens.

The first couple of episodes of WandaVision are a little 'different' but things start to pick up quickly from there. Once it got going, my wife and I enjoyed it.

Go Gophers!!
How does it compare to He Got Game?

Has your son seen that one? You know the scene I'm talking about. :cool:

Go Gophers!!

Loved it. Hernangomez and Edwards were both excellent.

(moved this reply over to the movies thread from the TV thread)
Thought it got better.
I subscribed to Peacock TV for a month to watch it. 5 bucks. Then going to cancel. Not much on there that interests me.
Watched The Northman on it and can’t recall any movie recently that got so progressively bad. Just got worse and worse.
Saw it this weekend (now I need to cancel Peacock or get back on Yellowstone).

I wouldn't give it that bad of a review, but it was quite a weird story. I am glad I didn't spend theater money to see this in theaters, put it that way.

Also see -

Uncut Gems with KG is s a modern classic- Sandler has reinvented himself as a middle age schmuck schlepping through life as he tries to keep his head above water. This move was from the Saffie Brothers who will be their generation’s Tarantino when it’s all said and done - their first feature or one of them(?) was the seminal Good Time with Robert Pattinson - was nominated for Best a feature at Cannes.

Hustle was fun and if you like sports an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.
AnT was great as well.

Last edited:

Also see -

Uncut Gems with KG is s a modern classic- Sandler has reinvented himself as a middle age schmuck schlepping through life as he tries to keep his head above water. This move was from the Saffie Brothers who will be their generation’s Tarantino when it’s all said and done - their first feature or one of them(?) was the seminal Good Time with Robert Pattinson - was nominated for Best a feature at Cannes.

Hustle was fun and if you like sports an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.
AnT was great as well.
On the Dan Patrick Show a couple of weeks ago, Sandler confirmed his next project is with the Safdie Brothers. I'm intrigued.

On the Dan Patrick Show a couple of weeks ago, Sandler confirmed his next project is with the Safdie Brothers. I'm intrigued.

He won best actor from The Spirit Awards (indie award shows) for Uncut Gems and many thought he deserved an Oscar nod, but was jobbed because oh who he us in the industry.

He won best actor from The Spirit Awards (indie award shows) for Uncut Gems and many thought he deserved an Oscar nod, but was jobbed because oh who he us in the industry.
Sandler proved he could act in Paul Thomas Anderson"s Punch-Drunk Love. He didn't get an Oscar nomination, but did score one for the Golden Globes.

Sandler proved he could act in Paul Thomas Anderson"s Punch-Drunk Love. He didn't get an Oscar nomination, but did score one for the Golden Globes.

A better version of Jim Carey — who hasn’t acted since?

A better version of Jim Carey — who hasn’t acted since?
It would be a shame if Jim Carrey's last acting role turns out to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which was released earlier this year. Don't know that I would say one is better than the other in terms of being a dramatic actor.

He's has had as many decent roles as Sandler:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Truman Show
Man on the Moon
Simon Birch
The Majestic

Those first two probably should have scored him Oscar noms.

It would be a shame if Jim Carrey's last acting role turns out to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which was released earlier this year. Don't know that I would say one is better than the other in terms of being a dramatic actor.

The Truman Show
Man on the Moon
Simon Birch
The Majestic

You forgot, Cable Guy. I love that movie.

The Truman Show
Man on the Moon
Simon Birch
The Majestic

Good point and Txs for the reminder.

Is there a Hedgehog 3 in the pipeline?

You forgot, Cable Guy. I love that movie.
I really like Cable Guy as well, I was just referencing his non-comedic roles. I revisited it a few months ago, still enjoyable. Great soundtrack as well.

As for Carrey's comedies, I prefer way more of his hands down compared to Sandler, in addition to Cable Guy:

Dumb and Dumber
Dumb and Dumber To
Me, Myself and Irene
Liar Liar

The Truman Show
Man on the Moon
Simon Birch
The Majestic

ETOTSM is an incredible movie. One of my favorites.

Also....there is no reason to compare Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler.

ETOTSM is an incredible movie. One of my favorites.

Also....there is no reason to compare Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler.
I think it's fair to compare from the standpoint they arrived on scene in sketch TV backgrounds (In Living Color/SNL), became bankable on the big screen through very broad perhaps low brow comedies, yet have shown they can hold their own in more dramatic meatier roles.

Same goes for Bill Murray. Unfortunately they passed away at young ages, but I think John Belushi and John Candy could also have had similar success.

I think it's fair to compare from the standpoint they arrived on scene in sketch TV backgrounds (In Living Color/SNL), became bankable on the big screen through very broad perhaps low brow comedies, yet have shown they can hold their own in more dramatic meatier roles.

Same goes for Bill Murray. Unfortunately they passed away at young ages, but I think John Belushi and John Candy could also have had similar success.

I suppose I should have directed that at Gopher_In_NYC....who said that Sandler is a better version of Jim Carrey. I just don't see how you could stack their resumes up next to one another and come up with a conclusion like that.

I suppose I should have directed that at Gopher_In_NYC....who said that Sandler is a better version of Jim Carrey. I just don't see how you could stack their resumes up next to one another and come up with a conclusion like that.
Carrey is hands down the better of the two.

Top Bottom