All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

Ope3

Reaction score
I preface this by saying I am not a huge Elvis Presley fan (not a hater though either) and even less a fan of director Baz Luhrmann. As for the motion picture Elvis, I liked it.

I thought the part up to him joining the army was the most interesting, dramatizing his younger days in Memphis associating the the black artists of the time especially BB King & Little Richard.

Interesting to see Tom Hanks play a most unlikeable character, Col Tom Parker. It felt he was channeling Lionel Barrymore/Mr Potter. Austin Butler as The King was phenomenal, he looked, sounded and had the moves like Elvis.

Iceland12

Reaction score
Geeze, there’s going to be a John Wick 4? Squeezing the heck of of that one.

AND maybe a TV Mini-series. "The Continental" is still in the works for later this year. Doubt Christopher Walken's SNL character will be in it. ;)

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
AND maybe a TV Mini-series. "The Continental" is still in the works for later this year. Doubt Christopher Walken's SNL character will be in it. ;)

Watched The Gray Man a few days ago and it was also a shoot everyone in sight type movie. Guess that one is getting a sequel too.

Last edited:

Iceland12

Reaction score
Watched The Gray Man a few days ago and it was also a shoot everyone in sight type movie. Guess that one is getting a sequel too.

The Bourne movies probably kicked-off that genre. The Wick movies moved it along. Can't blame the producers. Action without a lot of dialogue allows the films to be sold around the world. That adds-up to a lot of Box Office money.

Though John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum was damn near satire and The Bourne Legacy was basically a remake of The Bourne Identity.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
in the Documentary category-

Disney+ has a new 6-part documentary called "Light and Magic."

it is a history of Industrial Light and Magic, the special-effects company that was founded by George Lucas to work on the 1st 'Star Wars' movie.

the first few segments pretty much focus on how the original group developed a lot of the technology used in Star Wars. Later on, it details the shift from practical effects to computer-generated effects.

lots of interviews with people including George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Jon Favreau, etc.
(spoiler - George Lucas thinks very highly of himself....)

my favorite parts were the early segments. If you like special effects, you learn a lot about motion-controlled cameras, stop-motion animation, etc.

the whole thing runs for about 5 hours, give or take.

stocker08

Reaction score
in the Documentary category-

Disney+ has a new 6-part documentary called "Light and Magic."

it is a history of Industrial Light and Magic, the special-effects company that was founded by George Lucas to work on the 1st 'Star Wars' movie.

the first few segments pretty much focus on how the original group developed a lot of the technology used in Star Wars. Later on, it details the shift from practical effects to computer-generated effects.

lots of interviews with people including George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Jon Favreau, etc.
(spoiler - George Lucas thinks very highly of himself....)

my favorite parts were the early segments. If you like special effects, you learn a lot about motion-controlled cameras, stop-motion animation, etc.

the whole thing runs for about 5 hours, give or take.

I don't give a shit about Star Wars....but this sounds VERY interesting.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Hell has frozen over.

Hollywood is doing a remake of.................."Road House."

apparently starring Jake Gyllenhall as a former UFC fighter turned bouncer. and Conor McGregor is going to appear in it.

they will never top the original.

"A polar bear fell on me......."

Top Bottom