All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

tikited

Me
Reaction score
We finished a short documentary mini-series called Worst Roommate Ever. Each episode talked about a different story. Then the last two were about Jamison Bachman, a serial squatter. I did not realize that is a thing. The laws are completely messed up in how they protect these people. Essentially people answer a craiglist ad for a roommate. They pay a month or two of rent, get comfortable there and then stop paying, essentially taking over the place. The owner of the home or apartment can't legally change the locks to kick them out. Have to go through the legal eviction process that can be very difficult, expensive and time consuming. It's horrible.

Here is a link explaining it. Crazy.

The laws are even crazier in England (at least they were the last time I was there). I talked to the rental property owner about it and agreed that it is insane (funny how criminals have so many rights). He said he liked it back in the day when one way to deal with them was to simply beat them. They usually left after that.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
The laws are even crazier in England (at least they were the last time I was there). I talked to the rental property owner about it and agreed that it is insane (funny how criminals have so many rights). He said he liked it back in the day when one way to deal with them was to simply beat them. They usually left after that.
In the documentary series, that guy went to law school and studied this stuff so he knew everything about the law for every situation.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
saw an item that Warner Brothers is planning to do a remake of one of the greatest "creature features" of all time - "Them!"

if you're not a fan of 50's sci-fi and monster movies, "Them!" is the movie about giant ants. It's actually a lot of fun - snappy dialogue and a good cast, led by James Arness and James Whitmore as an FBI agent and police officer leading the search for the ants. several other actors turn up in small parts, including Fess Parker and Leonard Nimoy.

this new version is being directed by the guy who did the "Werewolf by Night" feature for Disney+.

what has me worried is that the director said this new version will deal with immigration issues. what that has to do with giant ants, I have no idea.

Ope3

Reaction score
Babylon. Baby-long.

Well...it was something. It kept me interested for a couple of hours but unfortunately, the move is 3+ hours. Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie and Diego Calva all give really good performances.

It reminded me quite a bit in terms of style and plot of Boogie Nights. Babylon actually has more sex & drugs than Boogie Nights though. No judgement.

Ope3

Reaction score
The Banshees of Inisherin is just a splendid movie. Wonderful. Best of the year (so far). Great to see Brenden Gleeson & Colin Farrell paired together again.
Colin Farrell nailed his acceptance speech for Best Actor at the Globes tonight. Well deserved.

Ope3

Reaction score
Look forward to seeing it and glad he figured his life out before it was 2 late.
It's well worth it as I mentioned when I saw it, hopefully I have not heightened expectations too much.

While Farrell got the hardware, his co-stars Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon & Barry Keoghan are all equally as good. They were all Globe nominees. I will go out on a limb and predict The Banshees of Inisherin will win the SAG Ensemble Award.

Ope3

Reaction score
Oscar Nominations were revealed yesterday. In terms of the Best Picture nominees, while there were several not on the list that I liked (Emily the Criminal, Hustle & The Menu), there was nothing I would say was "snubbed".

This would be my ranking of the nominated films I have seen already:

1. “The Banshees of Inisherin,” Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers
2. “The Fabelmans,” Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers

Those 2 are far and away my favorites, and I have a hard time deciding the most deserving.

Others I saw:

3. “Tár,” Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, Producers
4. “Top Gun: Maverick,” Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers
5. “Elvis,” Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, Producers
6. “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers

Haven't seen yet:

“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Malte Grunert, Producer
“Avatar: The Way of Water,” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
“Triangle of Sadness,” Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, Producers
“Women Talking,” Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, Producers

Nax5

Reaction score
Just watched "When the Levees Broke" by Spike Lee. Was pretty young when Katrina happened so didn't remember a lot of the details.

But man. What a complete disaster by the US government. Failed every step of the way.

Top Bottom