All Things Minnesota Wild 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

It’s just the perfect kiss that even a 8:30pm game has to be moved to 8:50pm and then has to be moved to ESPN U. Go bleep yourself tv.

Evason should be fired on the spot.

Rocco Baldelli punting a mid june game by starting a nonsense lineup is one thing.

Punting a playoff hockey game by switching goaltending for no reason is ground for instant termination.

Oof, Johansson misread the angle and just like that we're down.

Here's a surprise playoff note. Florida just stole a game against the Bruins in Boston

A. Stop taking undisciplined penalties the stars power play is too good.

B. The wilted flower could stop a pick whenever he wants to.

Maybe Gus doesn’t stop any of those shots, but the questions will be asked. This is a terrible move by Dean and Guerin.

Why keep the momentum going by going with the hot goalie? Much better to give your opponent a bunch of confidence going into game 3.

A. Stop taking undisciplined penalties the stars power play is too good.

B. The wilted flower could stop a pick whenever he wants to.

Maybe Gus doesn’t stop any of those shots, but the questions will be asked. This is a terrible move by Dean and Guerin.

He stops 2 of the first 3.

And number 4 basically happened because of all the momentum from #3 which absolutely needs to be stopped

It was embarrassingly incompetent coaching that blatantly gave the other team confidence and an edge.

Also, inexcusable coaching playing Merrill again tonight. Would be better off grabbing the 6th D man on the Iowa Wild.

You benched him in game 1 for a reason. Nah lets play him again.

This is just disgusting.

Everyone saw this coming.

Goal 5 was a direct result of Fleury giving up a bad rebound on a wide shot. Forced us to clear to corner and Dallas to gain control.

Momentum leads to #6.

Feel so bad for our players.

Fleury better take a bleeping bus home to Minnesota after that shit show of a performance.

Evason.

Blame the dumbass coach benching the 2nd best goalie in the NHL statistically after a game 1 win and 50+ saves.

Im willing to bet that has never happened in NHL history. He needs to be fired immediately if we lose this series. Like literally 5 minutes after the final horn.

Fleury better take a bleeping bus home to Minnesota after that shit show of a performance.

Can't really put all of this one on Fleury. The defense has been less than stellar, too many turnovers and odd-man rushes and way too many penalties taken.

I think playing Fleury over Gus is being a little overblown. They stole one on the road in Dallas, Fleury has been pretty good and he's got the playoff experience. I can see it both ways honestly.

The way the Wild played and the way the Stars played, the outcome of this one would likely not have been a lot different regardless of who was in the net.

Can't really put all of this one on Fleury. The defense has been less than stellar, too many turnovers and odd-man rushes and way too many penalties taken.

I think playing Fleury over Gus is being a little overblown. They stole one on the road in Dallas, Fleury has been pretty good and he's got the playoff experience. I can see it both ways honestly.

The way the Wild played and the way the Stars played, the outcome of this one would likely not have been a lot different regardless of who was in the net.
Could not disagree more on that. There was just no need to make the change. It was too cute by half and Dean saying that this is what they normally due is stupid. It’s the bleeping playoffs if you don’t win 4 out of 7 games your season is done. You also can’t overestimate the pucker factor that Dallas might have experienced if Gus was back in net. I’m sure Dallas would be gripping the stick just that little but had a guy that just dominated them was back in net again. If you take 2 games on the road the series is basically over. Instead Dean treated this game as a Tuesday in November and now the series is back on in the worst way.

Last edited:

Could not disagree more on that. There was just no need to make the change. It was too cute by half and Dean saying that this is what they normally due is stupid. It’s the bleeping playoffs if you don’t win 4 out of 7 games your season is done. You also can’t overestimate the packer factor that Dallas might have experienced if Gus was back in net. I’m sure Dallas would be grilling the stick just that little but had a guy that just dominated them was back in net again. If you take 2 games on the road the series is basically over. Instead Dean treated this game as a Tuesday in November and now the series is back on in the worst way.

Do we not think Fleury was going to play at some point during the series? If he was, last night was the game to do it.

Do we not think Fleury was going to play at some point during the series? If he was, last night was the game to do it.
He didn’t have to. I bet Dallas doesn’t switch goalies all series. Wanting to switch goalies is a problem made by the wild and not out of necessity. It would be one thing is the flower had been great all year, but he’s been pretty mediocre all year.

I would argue doing it at home in Minnesota would be a better game. You have the crowns behind you, the refs might not call as many penalties on you being the home team. Plus you could be up 2-0 as opposed to 1-1. This whole thing of stealing one game on the road and all of a sudden you are playing with house money is crazy to me.

No because I thought we would have common sense?

We have the #2 goalie in the NHL statistically. No team plays both goalies just to play them in the first round. So the only time to assume Fleury would start is if our top flight goal sucked. Which I havent felt would happen.

It was one of the dumbest moves in sports. It was truly that bad. He made a move to simply do it. No other logic or support.

No because I thought we would have common sense?

We have the #2 goalie in the NHL statistically. No team plays both goalies just to play them in the first round. So the only time to assume Fleury would start is if our top flight goal sucked. Which I havent felt would happen.

It was one of the dumbest moves in sports. It was truly that bad. He made a move to simply do it. No other logic or support.

Yet Fleury and Gus have rotated all season. Maybe there’s a reason for that?

Evason.

Blame the dumbass coach benching the 2nd best goalie in the NHL statistically after a game 1 win and 50+ saves.

Im willing to bet that has never happened in NHL history. He needs to be fired immediately if we lose this series. Like literally 5 minutes after the final horn.
If you think Evason was the 100% decision maker on this you are crazy. Guerin had to have a heavy influence. He brought his Fluery in from Vegas. Signed him to an extension. Former teammate in Pittsburgh.

It's the 2020s. Group think.

Yet Fleury and Gus have rotated all season. Maybe there’s a reason for that?

Huh?? Goalies rotate all the time in the regular season. They dont then trade off in the post season. First time watching hockey??

Evason made an irrational decision. And he did it last year too. Pulling fleury to put in a ice cold Talbot in game 6.

Its stupid coaching and it costs us games.

Huh?? Goalies rotate all the time in the regular season. They dont then trade off in the post season. First time watching hockey??

Evason made an irrational decision. And he did it last year too. Pulling fleury to put in a ice cold Talbot in game 6.

Its stupid coaching and it costs us games.

Huh??? Oettinger started 61 games for Dallas this season. He was their primary goalie. Sure goalies rotate, but when you have a primary goalie, it's typically that type of 60/20 split.

You're acting like that was the case with Gus all season when it wasn't. Fluery started 45 games, Gus 37, and it was pretty evenly split throughout the season. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Gus is ranked as high as he is. Regardless Fluery was going to get a game or two this series, and last night was the right time to give him one.

No one has more irrational outrage than you.

Huh??? Oettinger started 61 games for Dallas this season. He was their primary goalie. Sure goalies rotate, but when you have a primary goalie, it's typically that type of 60/20 split.

You're acting like that was the case with Gus all season when it wasn't. Fluery started 45 games, Gus 37, and it was pretty evenly split throughout the season. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Gus is ranked as high as he is. Regardless Fluery was going to get a game or two this series, and last night was the right time to give him one.

I posted on Tuesday that I could see justification for starting either Gusto or the Flower. It did not work out, I but I can understand not going with Gusto after playing nearly 100 minutes along with the fact they have been rotating all year.

Ultimately if a rested Gusto leads them to a win tomorrow, then it was probably the right move.

Aside from the goalie debate, I do think Evason is coaching for his job this series. 3+ seasons is an eternity by NHL standards. I would guess very few get a 5th chance without making it out of Round 1.

Thats because Gus started the year as a true back up that was basically a scrub haha.

Boston has the literal best goal in hockey and in the regular season it was a 49:37 split. Did they bench him after a game 1 win?? No, because teams do not do that. Ever

Seriously, find me one instance in the last 25 years where a team won game 1 and switched goalies game 2 when that goalie dominated. Just one. Its all I ask.

Or find me any time a goalie had 50+ saves in a playoff win and didnt play the next game(non injury related)

This doesnt happen, it was illogical nonsense and you trying to defend it tells me you have never watched hockey before. Which is ok, but then dont speak on things youre unfamiliar with.

I was a bit shocked that Gus wasn’t in net last night. Would he have made a difference? I highly doubt it. The entire team was garbage. Kaprizov was definitely not himself with his errant passes and his unwillingness to possess the puck like he has all season. Missing Ek and Hartman didn’t help any either. Think they are like 4-22 now in game 2’s. Hopefully home cooking gets them back to playing Wild hockey. We shall see

Last edited:

Last year, they used Fleury in - I believe - the first 4 games of the playoff series then went to Cam Talbot for the 5th game. and the critics said "should have used Talbot earlier in the series instead of letting him sit."

going into game 2, I think Fleury had not played in a week. So Evason probably thought he needed to get Fleury some work just in case he needed him later in the series.

the moves that don't work out are always wrong.

Top Bottom