All Things Minnesota Wild 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

Now change the name back and take the L on one of the worst nicknames in sports history.

Was at the game last night. Lively crowd, lively play by the home team. Good win. 3 for 3 in the shootout for the W.

Last edited:

This should happen.

Oh how I would love that but if I was a betting man it won’t happen. Hate to alienate the fans that only know the Wild and know nothing about the North Stars. Oh and Norm Green sucks

Filip Gustavsson heads into the #NHLAllStar Weekend with the No. 2 (tied) best goals against average and the 5th best save percentage
02776264-BB4E-4274-8882-EE896F800E8A.jpeg

Very on brand loss for the wild tonight. Long break and coming back to lose to the coyotes.

Very on brand loss for the wild tonight. Long break and coming back to lose to the coyotes.
A little of both in that game. A whole lot of chasing on the defensive end. Stupid/careless penalties. One bad goal given up by Fleury.

On the plus side:

1. Kaprizov and Zucc were playing superbly. The vision they have and the ability to execute was next level.

2. Boldy looked fresh. He was buzzing as well. His puck control stood out. And he had more jump into corners and all over the ice.

3. Fleury made lots of great saves- and 3 posts in a span of about 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Jamie Benn is a piece of shit. He’s out there choking guys and knocking their helmets off. Then when the bell rings and Reaves is involved he wants nothing to do with him.

Put your hard-earned cash on the VGK against the Wild tonight. I would normally go with the home team here but the Wild will be coming off a road trip to Dallas (24-hr turnaround) and the VGK are playing their second Dad's trip game in a row; most of the VGK Dads do a brief road trip with the VGK every year and the VGK are 6-0-1 in Dad's trip games. Gotta play well in front of Dad or he's going to chew your ass.

VGK takes the Wild tonight. Book it!

Woof wild are free falling. They can’t score 5 on 5 and the flower couldn’t stop a beach ball right now.

Score a freaking goal. They have sat Addison twice now. They can’t score 5 on 5 and Addison is going to set a franchise record for assist for a rookie, thanks in large part to the power play he quarterbacks. What a joke

This afternoon in St.Paul Nashville (26-22-6) lost to the Wild 4-3.

A win in regulation and they scored 5 on 5. Krill is the greatest bargain in the NHL even at $9million a year. The guy is just on another level this year.

The Wild saved their best for last.

After an uneven start, the Wild wrapped up a seven-game homestand on Tuesday by slowing down the high-scoring Kings 2-1 in front of an announced 18,012 at Xcel Energy Center to win three in a row.

Overall, they went 4-2-1 in St. Paul and the Wild have picked up at least a point in five of their last six games.

This is their first 3-0 run since Jan. 12-17, and they tied the Avalanche at 67 points although Colorado held onto third place in the Central Division because the Wild have played more games. They now have a four-point lead over Calgary for the second wild-card seed in the Western Conference.

Next up for the Wild is a two-game road trip that begins on Thursday at Columbus..

How much $$$ did you make

I don't recall, and I just scrolled through my "SETTLED" bets list and the list doesn't go back that far for some reason. I would guess not that much, I don't usually bet a lot on individual games, especially VGK against the Wild. At most I would have bet $100.

Wondering if the Wild make any big moves before the trade deadline. I would guess their cap situation with Suter and Parise make that at least a little bit difficult?

Not a question of "IF" VGK makes a move, it's WHEN, now that team Captain Mark Stone and his $9.5M finally went on LTIR. Patrick Kane from Chicago seems to be what a lot of people are thinking, although I wouldn't be super excited about giving up a lot of prospect and/or draft capital for a 33-yr old rental player, but the VGK Front Office and ownership don't seem to care about shit like that.

Not much more than a week left to the deadline! Buckle up!

Wild shut out the Blue Jackets 2-0 in Columbus.

I don't recall, and I just scrolled through my "SETTLED" bets list and the list doesn't go back that far for some reason. I would guess not that much, I don't usually bet a lot on individual games, especially VGK against the Wild. At most I would have bet $100.

Wondering if the Wild make any big moves before the trade deadline. I would guess their cap situation with Suter and Parise make that at least a little bit difficult?

Not a question of "IF" VGK makes a move, it's WHEN, now that team Captain Mark Stone and his $9.5M finally went on LTIR. Patrick Kane from Chicago seems to be what a lot of people are thinking, although I wouldn't be super excited about giving up a lot of prospect and/or draft capital for a 33-yr old rental player, but the VGK Front Office and ownership don't seem to care about shit like that.

Not much more than a week left to the deadline! Buckle up!
My understanding is that the Wild have unusually high cap space available for the remainder of this season (only). They have “facilitated” two trades involving two other teams doing something with that cap space (presumably absorbing cap space they can afford that the others can’t). Kane has been mentioned here too. The Parise/Suter numbers blow up the next two years. So a rental is actually attractive here.

Hey Ogee - just read a story in Sports Business Journal that AT&T Sports Net is going out of business within the next month. according to the article, one of their Regional Sports Networks carries the games for the Vegas NHL team.

has this been covered yet by any of the media outlets in Vegas?

it's starting to look as if the entire RSN system may be on the verge of folding with the Bally's Sports RSN's looking at bankruptcy.

Hey Ogee - just read a story in Sports Business Journal that AT&T Sports Net is going out of business within the next month. according to the article, one of their Regional Sports Networks carries the games for the Vegas NHL team.

has this been covered yet by any of the media outlets in Vegas?

it's starting to look as if the entire RSN system may be on the verge of folding with the Bally's Sports RSN's looking at bankruptcy.

Yup. First story on the VGK page of the LV Review Journal last night/this morning. I'm hoping this COULD be a good thing but I'm not sure yet? We'll see how things shake out this summer.

I use YouTube TV for 95%+ of my television viewing, which doesn't have AT&T SportsNet RM for the VGK. So for a year or two I used FuboTV to watch that channel for VGK and this year I experimented with Direct Stream just to get that one damn channel. WTF...

Apparently this situation affects like 12-14 NHL teams and around 42 sports franchises overall?

I think there will continue to be a lot of things changing throughout this year with regards to streaming services; I think I heard YouTube TV is going to have the NFL Sunday Ticket next year?

If it's an option next season somehow, it didn't take me long to figure out that I would be much better off paying $200/season (or whatever it is?) for NHL Center Ice somewhere than it would be to pay $60-$80/month for a secondary streaming service like Fubo or Direct Stream just to watch hockey games.

Maybe we see a lot more a la carte services moving forward? I'm curious to see what happens. This issue isn't going away

That Russian can really play hockey. Hopefully the wild find him a cabin this summer so he doesn’t have to go back to Russia. Can’t afford to lose him to a “military draft” or just not being allowed to leave Russia.

That Russian can really play hockey. Hopefully the wild find him a cabin this summer so he doesn’t have to go back to Russia. Can’t afford to lose him to a “military draft” or just not being allowed to leave Russia.

No kidding. Wild beat Columbus 3-2 in overtime. Kirill Kaprizov scored the last 3 goals of the game.

In the span of a few hours on Tuesday afternoon, general manager Bill Guerin acquired winger Marcus Johansson from the Capitals in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft, then acquired winger Gustav Nyquist from the Blues Jackets in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2023 NHL Draft.

Both moves checked the necessary boxes for Guerin, who wanted to give the Wild shot a life a the trade deadline, as long as he didn’t have to part with major assets.

“These two players, I think, are what we were missing,” Guerin said. “They are highly skilled guys and they are going to provide us with some of that natural ability out there. They are both effortless skaters and high hockey sense guys that can make plays. I thought we could really use them.”.

Wild beat the Islanders in a shootout 2-1.

Wild beat the Islanders in a shootout 2-1.
Gustavsson was incredible again tonight. He's been on fire lately. Dozens of great saves. Shut them down in OT on several grade A chances and Islanders were 0-3 in the shootout. I just don't see how you can put Fleury out there in any big game at this point. I was PISSED when they started Fleury against the Avs a couple weeks ago. And he was brutal that game - we lost 3-1.

In the span of a few hours on Tuesday afternoon, general manager Bill Guerin acquired winger Marcus Johansson from the Capitals in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft, then acquired winger Gustav Nyquist from the Blues Jackets in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2023 NHL Draft.

Both moves checked the necessary boxes for Guerin, who wanted to give the Wild shot a life a the trade deadline, as long as he didn’t have to part with major assets.

“These two players, I think, are what we were missing,” Guerin said. “They are highly skilled guys and they are going to provide us with some of that natural ability out there. They are both effortless skaters and high hockey sense guys that can make plays. I thought we could really use them.”.

Seems like a couple of quiet, decent moves before the deadline by the Wild; surprised to see they didn't have to part with any of their top prospects in either deal. Holy shit, a few of the NHL prospect lists have the Wild with a shitload of young players in the rankings. They're going to need it the next couple years when they're paying off those Parise/Suter deals.

VGK with around $7M in cap space to play with after sending team captain Mark Stone to LTIR for the rest of the season after yet another back surgery. I'd still be shocked if VGK doesn't make a big splash, that Front Office can't help themselves.

Minnesota wins yet another low-scoring, one goal game tonight, 2-1 vs the Canucks. Shots were lopsided in favor of the Wild. Fleury got the start and played well with the shots he had to deal with. The Wild seem to be relying on and settling in to a more defensive approach. Since Kaprizov is the only one who can score (two tonight after a blank scoresheet last game), the rest of the team needs to focus on preventing goals. But Wes Walz said- and I agree- we need to find some goals from someone else.

Marcus Johansson returned and was inserted onto the second line with Erickson-Ek and Boldy. He is very fast and played very well. I anticipate we will see that line a few more times. I hope he and Boldy can find the chemistry that is missing for Matt with the departure of Fiala. Boldy is playing well and is highly skilled. Let’s hope that fires.

Kaprizov played incredibly, as usual. He had 9 shots on goal and was all over the ice doing lots of everything. He is a very hard worker. And man he is skilled.

Duhaime got popped in a fight and was removed from the game for concussion protocol. No word yet.

The wild look like the 2022 Vikings. Keep winning 1 goal games and are playing better than anyone expected. They are basically a one man team, Khrill so were the Vikings with Jefferson. The difference is the playoffs are not a one and done, so the wild could actually win a couple of playoff games or even the series.

Top Bottom