All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

Anyone see wigs go off the other night? Sigh

36 pts 12 for 16 from field, 8 for 10 from 3 PT line

Nice win for the Wolves. Rudy was huge down the stretch, along with big games from ANT and DLo.

Howl Wolves!!

Rudy’s blocks are way down it seems. I watch Bball but am no expert, what is the reason? Did the wolves trade for a shot blocker and then put him in a different role? Is it too early to tell?

- Pacers went 19-42 from behind the line to Minnesota's 8-23
- Minnesota out rebounded Indiana 51-31
- Indiana had 3 technicals and 1 flagrant foul to Minnesota 1 technical
- Pacers are now 13-12. Minnesota is 12-12

MINNEAPOLIS -- — D’Angelo Russell had 15 of his 28 points in the fourth quarter, Anthony Edwards scored 26 points and the Minnesota Timberwolvesheld on to beat the Indiana Pacers 121-115 on Wednesday night.

Rudy Gobert added 16 points and 20 rebounds for Minnesota..

“We stayed with it,” Gobert said. “We got off to a great start and then we kind of let down a little bit. We gave up a 44-point second quarter, which should never happen again, ever. But we kept grinding, kept grinding, raised the level down the stretch, and made some big plays to get the game.”..

Timberwolves: Karl-Anthony Towns(right calf strain) missed his third straight game and Taurean Prince (right shoulder subluxation) missed his sixth in a row. … Edwards had a career-high seven steals, the first player in the NBA with at least seven steals in a game this season..

Last edited:

Friday's game in Salt Lake City began with the Utah Jazz fans giving Rudy Gobert a hero's welcome. It ended with the Wolves giving the Jazz the bum rush.

It was Gobert's first game back where he began his career. And he responded, with an 22-point, 13-rebound double-double.

But it was Gobert's teammate, guard D'Angelo Russell, who slammed the door in Minnesota's 118-108 win.

Russell scored 20 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter. He hit all seven of his shots. He made all six of his three-pointers. He almost single-handedly held off a Jazz team playing without two starters that had erased a double-figure Wolves lead and pulled within a point three times and were within two with 3:14 left.

It was another big win for the Wolves (13-12) who won, without Karl-Anthony Towns, for the second straight time.

All five Wolves starters were in double figures. Kyle Anderson had a Swiss Army knife night, with 15 points, 12 assists, seven rebounds. Anthony Edwards had a difficult night shooting but scored 14. Jaden McDaniels had 11.

Utah was led by Michael Beasley's 23 points..

Samurai man-bun Michael Beasley? WTF?!?!

He's been very up and down. Had a handful of very good games and a handful of very bad ones.

Beasley before the first game with the wolves,

'Kill. Anybody. In front of me."​

Now he is crying about being killed. LMAO

Wolves win, Russell, Gobert and Anderson have great games and the posts are about Beasley.😊

"Russell scored 20 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter. He hit all seven of his shots. He made all six of his three-pointers...All five Wolves starters were in double figures. Kyle Anderson had a Swiss Army knife night, with 15 points, 12 assists, seven rebounds. Anthony Edwards had a difficult night shooting but scored 14. Jaden McDaniels had 11.

Last edited:

If Russell could be consistent, this would be a much different team. But you either get what he gave you last night, or you get the guy who's 6-17 from the floor while dribbling the ball off his foot and throwing passes to a kid sitting 4 rows behind the opponent's bench.

If Russell could be consistent, this would be a much different team. But you either get what he gave you last night, or you get the guy who's 6-17 from the floor while dribbling the ball off his foot and throwing passes to a kid sitting 4 rows behind the opponent's bench.

No kidding. Still say he's only had a season and a half of great play in his 7+ years in the NBA.

Overall he's been real streaky this year. He's on a good streak now though. Three great games in a row, coming after a 6-16 game against Memphis. Though that was a game where he had 10 assists, 5 rebounds and 2 steals and 2 turnovers.

Last edited:

I fast forwarded the game to the 4th qtr. That was the greatest 4th qtr. shooting display I've ever seen. Dlo...dang!!

This is interesting - from game story in the Strib. DLo says he was trying too hard to be a PG....

Russell, who struggled a bit with his shot early in the season, has found his stride. Finch said he asked Russell to be more of a table-setter when the season began, and that might have gotten him out of his shooting rhythm.

"Honestly I had the wrong approach,'' Russell said. "I was trying to be too focused on being a point guard instead of a basketball player. … That's never really been my thing. I kind of just play basketball freely and have fun.''

FWIW, it does seem as if they're using SloMo more as a Point Forward type. He had 12 assists in the game, including 7 in the 4th Qtr.

This is interesting - from game story in the Strib. DLo says he was trying too hard to be a PG....

Russell, who struggled a bit with his shot early in the season, has found his stride. Finch said he asked Russell to be more of a table-setter when the season began, and that might have gotten him out of his shooting rhythm.

"Honestly I had the wrong approach,'' Russell said. "I was trying to be too focused on being a point guard instead of a basketball player. … That's never really been my thing. I kind of just play basketball freely and have fun.''

FWIW, it does seem as if they're using SloMo more as a Point Forward type. He had 12 assists in the game, including 7 in the 4th Qtr.
DLO plays like the two guard.

Just tuned into tonight's game. Apparently the wolves lost their regular uniforms and somehow got their hands on some Denver Nuggets Eunice from the 80s.

The Portland Trail Blazers overcame the Minnesota trio of Rudy Gobert, Anthony Edwards and D’Angelo Russell combining for 74 points to win 124-118 Saturday night at the Moda Center.

Making that possible were 36 points and eight assists from Damian Lillard and 31 points from Anfernee Simons, who bounced back from his six-point performance during Thursday’s loss to Denver.

Also at the top of the list of key reasons for the win was the Blazers’ shift in defensive intensity from late in the third quarter on. The Blazers, who gave up 39 points in the second quarter, trailed 86-76 with 4:48 to go in the third before closing the quarter with an 18-6 run to lead 94-92 entering the fourth..

WHAT IT MEANS

The Blazers (14-12), who lost a 121-120 heartbreaker Thursday to Denver, got a much needed win over the Timberwolves (13-13), who had won three of their last four despite losing Karl-Anthony Towns for several weeks with a calf injury.

IT WAS OVER WHEN

In the final minute, Lillard hit a jumper to give the Blazers a 122-116 lead, and then Gobert committed an offensive foul at the other end to give the ball back to Portland with 42.3 seconds remaining. A little later, Minnesota’s Kyle Anderson made two free throws to get the score to 122-118 with 12 seconds remaining and then the Timberwolves intentionally fouled Lillard. He made two free throws to all but ice the game at 124-118 with 8.4 seconds to go.

NEXT UP

The Blazers host Minnesota again at 7 p.m. Monday.

Now would be a great time to trade DLO

Per Shama:

Contrary to what has been reported, new Timberwolves and Lynx owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez don’t have to make a December payment to Glen Taylor, a franchise source told Sports Headliners. The two need to execute paperwork this month, with payment required next year as part of their transition to majority ownership.

Don’t be surprised if new Wolves president of basketball operations Tim Connelly makes personnel moves in the coming weeks. Some NBA players, by stipulation in their contracts, can’t be traded until December 15.

Howl Wolves!!

Per Shama:

Contrary to what has been reported, new Timberwolves and Lynx owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez don’t have to make a December payment to Glen Taylor, a franchise source told Sports Headliners. The two need to execute paperwork this month, with payment required next year as part of their transition to majority ownership.

Don’t be surprised if new Wolves president of basketball operations Tim Connelly makes personnel moves in the coming weeks. Some NBA players, by stipulation in their contracts, can’t be traded until December 15.

Howl Wolves!!

Hmm? According to your other favorite columnist they have to make a payment this year and next. Oh and "this and that."

Glen Taylor told the Pioneer Press that Timberwolves-Lynx investors Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore “are to make a payment at the end of this year (2022) and another payment at the end of next year, and if they made all their payments and this and that, I told them that they kind of have control at that point. I’d still have a bunch of stock.”

Just a few thoughts:

1. Fuk this team. I'll take the Vikings defense.

2. Ant, why do you play so stupidly and if you aren't going to give two shits about defense, trade his lame ass. I believe this guy just plays losing basketball and always will.

3. Lilliard is just laughing inside. Career high in 3's and it's early mid third quarter.

4. McDaniels sucks balls. They have him guard the guy when he crosses mid-court every game.........they blow by him with ease, or they set a pick and he's hopeless. He sucks balls. Oh, and in the game against Portland the other night and into the fourth quarter tonight.......he has 0 rebounds. O rebounds in 7 quarters. His offense is nothing. He sucks. Then the dumbass blocks Lilliard's shot and is talking shit to him after his career night.

5. They have quit again tonight. finch sucks. Quinn Snyder is available.

6. Between watching gopher hoops defense, this defensive shit show night in and night out, and the Vikings defense........I'm just gonna swear a little and laugh.

7. Nowell......pass the ball just once. Just one damn time. Defense is optional for you too, Nowell.

Have a great holidays everyone. Maybe next year after some trades. Who knows? Hopeless basketball in Minnesota everywhere.

Last edited:

Just a few thoughts:

1. Fuk this team. I'll take the Vikings defense.

2. Ant, why do you play so stupidly and if you aren't going to give two shits about defense, trade his lame ass. I believe this guy just plays losing basketball and always will.

3. Lilliard is just laughing inside. Career high in 3's and it's early mid third quarter.

4. McDaniels sucks balls. They have him guard the guy when he crosses mid-court every game.........they blow by him with ease, or they set a pick and he's hopeless. He sucks balls. Oh, and in the game against Portland the other night and into the fourth quarter tonight.......he has 0 rebounds. O rebounds in 7 quarters. His offense is nothing. He sucks. Then the dumbass blocks Lilliard's shot and is talking shit to him after his career night.

5. They have quit again tonight. finch sucks. Quinn Snyder is available.

6. Between watching gopher hoops defense, this defensive shit show night in and night out, and the Vikings defense........I'm just gonna swear a little and laugh.

7. Nowell......pass the ball just once. Just one damn time.

Have a great holidays everyone. Maybe next year after some trades. Who knows? Hopeless basketball in Minnesota everywhere.

It was a late game, I take it we lost?! 😉

Howl Wolves!!

Hmm? According to your other favorite columnist they have to make a payment this year and next. Oh and "this and that."

Glen Taylor told the Pioneer Press that Timberwolves-Lynx investors Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore “are to make a payment at the end of this year (2022) and another payment at the end of next year, and if they made all their payments and this and that, I told them that they kind of have control at that point. I’d still have a bunch of stock.”

This reminds me of the days when Sid and Shooter would take passive aggressive shots at each other’s “scoops” in their columns!

Howl Wolves!!

Timberwolves were without Towns, Prince, D'Angelo Russell and Jordan McLaughlin last night against the Clippers last night. They still led by 2 at the Half and trailed by just 2 after 3 before losing 99-88 in L.A. in what turned out to be a defensive struggle. Wolves shot only 42% but held the Clippers to 38%.

"The Clippers held the Wolves under 25 points in all four quarters. “That's elite defense,” Lue said. Leonard called it “amazing basketball.”

The Wolves though without Russell, Towns and McLaughlin were brutal behind the line going 4-22 and costing them a surprising win.

Oh and Gobert sprained his ankle in the 4th.

Wolves play down in OKC tomorrow night. No idea who will be available for that one.

Timberwolves were without Towns, Prince, D'Angelo Russell and Jordan McLaughlin last night against the Clippers last night. They still led by 2 at the Half and trailed by just 2 after 3 before losing 99-88 in L.A. in what turned out to be a defensive struggle. Wolves shot only 42% but held the Clippers to 38%.

"The Clippers held the Wolves under 25 points in all four quarters. “That's elite defense,” Lue said. Leonard called it “amazing basketball.”

The Wolves though without Russell, Towns and McLaughlin were brutal behind the line going 4-22 and costing them a surprising win.

Oh and Gobert sprained his ankle in the 4th.

Wolves play down in OKC tomorrow night. No idea who will be available for that one.
Is there such a thing as a "yawn meter"?
I wonder which Mn hoops team would get the bigger one right now.

Tonight at OKC no Towns, McLaughlin, Prince and both Russell and Gobert are questionable.
At least it's a road game,;)

I imagine he wouldn't come back here...at least it wouldn't be his first choice (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.)

You're usually right around here but maybe not about Mr.Beverly's desires and yes, they could use him,

The Timberwolves this season have been lacking (and in some cases trying to replicate) the energy and defensive acumen they received a year ago from Patrick Beverley.

Perhaps the answer is simple: Re-acquiring Beverley himself.

We've unofficially entered NBA trade season, with dozens of players who signed free agent contracts in the offseason eligible to be dealt as of Thursday. Beverley was eligible to be traded all along, but with more parts available a deal could be easier to consummate..

Writes Fischer of Beverley: "The grizzled guard has a desire to return to Minnesota, sources said, should he reach free agency via buyout."

And the Wolves could clearly still use him. Even if his shooting doesn't improve dramatically (though it should get better based on his career 37.4% average from deep), Beverley's toughness and spirit would be welcome additions on a team that on too many nights has had a hard time guarding the perimeter or simply playing with 100% vigor..

Top Bottom