All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

Shooter chimes in again:

OVERHEARD

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor on a New York Post story suggesting prospective investor Alex Rodriguez’s breakup with Jennifer Lopez (estimated wealth $400 million) could jeopardize his part of the deal: “I’ll answer it this way: I saw the story, yes, and that’s all I’m going to say. All I’m interested in is ‘can you make your payments,’ and he said yes.”

Howl Wolves!!

Shooter chimes in again:

OVERHEARD

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor on a New York Post story suggesting prospective investor Alex Rodriguez’s breakup with Jennifer Lopez (estimated wealth $400 million) could jeopardize his part of the deal: “I’ll answer it this way: I saw the story, yes, and that’s all I’m going to say. All I’m interested in is ‘can you make your payments,’ and he said yes.”

Howl Wolves!!
Charlie jumps all over a six week old story with some relentless reporting!

From Jon K. at The Athletic:

Here’s a look at the roster:

Point guards: D’Angelo Russell, Jordan McLaughlin

Shooting guards: Anthony Edwards, Jaylen Nowell, Bryn Forbes, Austin Rivers, Wendell Moore Jr.

Small forwards: Jaden McDaniels, Taurean Prince, Josh Minott

Power forwards: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Anderson

Centers: Rudy Gobert, Naz Reid, Nathan Knight

Eric Paschall has the other two-way to get the roster to the maximum 17 players. Minott and Moore likely will see a lot of time in Iowa early. Better to play games down there than sit and watch from the bench while Finch uses his veterans on a team that isn’t just chasing a playoff spot, but homecourt advantage in the first round.

If the Wolves can sneak Garza to the G League, it would be a boon. But he has played so well that it wouldn’t be surprising to see a team with less depth sign him to their active roster. Dozier has been practicing with the Wolves but has not yet been cleared for games, so it’s hard to see the Wolves using a spot on him until he is physically ready to play.

From Jon K. at The Athletic:

Here’s a look at the roster:

Point guards: D’Angelo Russell, Jordan McLaughlin

Shooting guards: Anthony Edwards, Jaylen Nowell, Bryn Forbes, Austin Rivers, Wendell Moore Jr.

Small forwards: Jaden McDaniels, Taurean Prince, Josh Minott

Power forwards: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Anderson

Centers: Rudy Gobert, Naz Reid, Nathan Knight

Eric Paschall has the other two-way to get the roster to the maximum 17 players. Minott and Moore likely will see a lot of time in Iowa early. Better to play games down there than sit and watch from the bench while Finch uses his veterans on a team that isn’t just chasing a playoff spot, but homecourt advantage in the first round.

If the Wolves can sneak Garza to the G League, it would be a boon. But he has played so well that it wouldn’t be surprising to see a team with less depth sign him to their active roster. Dozier has been practicing with the Wolves but has not yet been cleared for games, so it’s hard to see the Wolves using a spot on him until he is physically ready to play.
Garza signed a two way and Dozier released.

Strib thinks they are sending Garza down.

The Timberwolves roster appears set after a series of moves on Saturday.

Placed on waivers were forward C.J. Elleby and guards A.J. Lawson and P.J. Dozier.

Elleby was signed as a free agent after playing the past two seasons with Portland. Dozier was with Denver the past three seasons, playing in 97 games with six starts. Lawson had been signed to a two-way deal after playing for Dallas' summer league team..

The Wolves confirmed former Iowa center Luka Garza, who was with Detroit last season, had his Exhibit 10 contract converted to a two-way deal after a strong preseason. Teams are allowed two players on two-way deals; Eric Paschall is the other Wolf on a two-way.

The team also signed three players — forward Philip Wheeler and guards Emmanuel Mudiay and Matt Lewis — then waived them. Assuming they clear waivers, they will likely be assigned to Iowa of the G League.

All that means the Wolves' 15-man roster should be set for Wednesday's season opener. The roster includes guards Anthony Edwards, Bryn Forbes, Jordan McLaughlin, D'Angelo Russell, Wendell Moore, Austin Rivers and Jaylen Nowell; forwards Kyle Anderson, Taurean Prince, Jaden McDaniels, Nathan Knight and Josh Minott; and centers Karl-Anthony Towns, Naz Reid and Rudy Gobert.

In expected moves, the Wolves exercised fourth-year options on Edwards and McDaniels.

Strib thinks they are sending Garza down.

The Timberwolves roster appears set after a series of moves on Saturday.

Placed on waivers were forward C.J. Elleby and guards A.J. Lawson and P.J. Dozier.

Elleby was signed as a free agent after playing the past two seasons with Portland. Dozier was with Denver the past three seasons, playing in 97 games with six starts. Lawson had been signed to a two-way deal after playing for Dallas' summer league team..

The Wolves confirmed former Iowa center Luka Garza, who was with Detroit last season, had his Exhibit 10 contract converted to a two-way deal after a strong preseason. Teams are allowed two players on two-way deals; Eric Paschall is the other Wolf on a two-way.

The team also signed three players — forward Philip Wheeler and guards Emmanuel Mudiay and Matt Lewis — then waived them. Assuming they clear waivers, they will likely be assigned to Iowa of the G League.

All that means the Wolves' 15-man roster should be set for Wednesday's season opener. The roster includes guards Anthony Edwards, Bryn Forbes, Jordan McLaughlin, D'Angelo Russell, Wendell Moore, Austin Rivers and Jaylen Nowell; forwards Kyle Anderson, Taurean Prince, Jaden McDaniels, Nathan Knight and Josh Minott; and centers Karl-Anthony Towns, Naz Reid and Rudy Gobert.

In expected moves, the Wolves exercised fourth-year options on Edwards and McDaniels.

Wish they kept Dozier and cut Knight.

Curios as to why. Didn’t really see either play. Is Dozier good, knight bad, or some combo?
We are pretty slim at PG. Dozier is a PG and they just signed Garza, so I don't see a need for Knight.

We are pretty slim at PG. Dozier is a PG and they just signed Garza, so I don't see a need for Knight.
Slim, as in not good?

They have three people that play the point. Rivers would be a fourth in a pinch.

Slim, as in not good?

They have three people that play the point. Rivers would be a fourth in a pinch.
We really only have two true pg's. Rivers and Nowell are not really pg's. Plus..I like Dozier.

We really only have two true pg's. Rivers and Nowell are not really pg's. Plus..I like Dozier.

Dozier after only playing 18 games last season got cleared to play again in June. Then didn't play in any of the exhibition games. Guessing because that ACL didn't heal. Wonder if once he gets healthy enough to play they can resign him? Or if someone else will take a chance on him first.

Dozier after only playing 18 games last season got cleared to play again in June. Then didn't play in any of the exhibition games. Guessing because that ACL didn't heal. Wonder if once he gets healthy enough to play they can resign him? Or if someone else will take a chance on him first.
Yeah, I doubt he is resigned by the Wolves. It seems the roster is pretty set at this point. D-Lo always goes down at some point in the season. It appears they will go with JMac and then PG by a committee after that.

Jon Krawczynski has a long column on this year's Wolves. Here's his prediction:

My prediction​

Why not make a fool of myself before the season has even started? Devoted readers probably won’t be surprised to find that I think they will be somewhere between the best- and worst-case scenarios. I’m very high on the talent and the wind they seem to have at their backs. There is just too much talent on this team to be disappointed.

But I will caution: it could take 10-20 games for them to find a rhythm. That Wolves team in ’03-04 that went to the Western Conference finals started the season 9-8 while they worked to incorporate Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell. The Boston Celtics were 16-19 last season before going on a tear and taking it all the way to the NBA Finals.

The Wolves have a billowy soft start to the schedule, but the start of the year is often when the league’s tanking teams will be frisky, before they find out just how much less talent they have than other teams. I could see them dropping a few more than we expect in this opening stretch that includes nine home games in their first 12.

I still like their chances: They go 52-30 this season and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. It’s time.

And here's Hollinger prediction. Notice the summary he used.;)

Minnesota Timberwolves

Hollinger’s prediction: 47-35, seventh in West

Vegas has set the over-under on the Wolves season for 48.5, and internally the goal is to compete for a top-four seed and home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. So Hollinger’s prediction would be a disappointment on both fronts. I can see the argument. The West is going to be just brutal this season. Personally, I think this is a 50-plus win team. If any disappointment is going to come, I think the playoffs are the time that might happen against an unfavorable matchup. But Rudy Gobert is still in his prime, Karl-Anthony Towns is entering his and Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels are both poised for big jumps in their third seasons. And I think this team is deeper and more versatile than you would expect after making a five-for-one trade. We’ll see what happens come playoff time, but this team is going to win a lot of games in the regular season. — Jon Krawczynski

After haunting end to season, D'Angelo Russell seeks redemption with Timberwolves​

"Every year my approach is the same," Russell said at the team's media day. "Nothing changes. You see guys approaching a contract year and doing it incorrectly, and it becomes magnified if you're doing it incorrectly. You might not be going about things the right way, or ways you would be going about it if it wasn't a contract year."

This kind of situation — a former All-Star who was benched in the final minutes of a critical game, the subject of trade rumors, and someone who didn't receive a contract he wanted — had the potential to be awkward or combustible.

That hasn't happened with Russell, who has been upbeat with his public comments since the summer. The same goes for the team. If there was any tension or acrimony over how the last several months played out, there has been no public indication of it.

"He's had the exact right attitude and approach," Finch said. "... His approach has been great. He's really done a good job in practice leadership wise, saying the right things."

Russell played in a contract year before, during the 2018-19 season when he was with the Nets. That was the lone year Russell made the All-Star team as an alternate. Russell's numbers that season took a dramatic leap from the prior season. He averaged 1.8 more assists per game (seven total) while keeping his turnovers the same (3.1), averaged 5.6 more points (21.1) and improved his three-point shooting from 32% to 37%.

The Wolves may be betting Russell is similarly motivated in a year they have high expectations of competing in a crowded Western Conference.

"I can't compare to the other years, but I think he's going to have a great year," Finch said.

Howl Wolves!!

After haunting end to season, D'Angelo Russell seeks redemption with Timberwolves​

"Every year my approach is the same," Russell said at the team's media day. "Nothing changes. You see guys approaching a contract year and doing it incorrectly, and it becomes magnified if you're doing it incorrectly. You might not be going about things the right way, or ways you would be going about it if it wasn't a contract year."

This kind of situation — a former All-Star who was benched in the final minutes of a critical game, the subject of trade rumors, and someone who didn't receive a contract he wanted — had the potential to be awkward or combustible.

That hasn't happened with Russell, who has been upbeat with his public comments since the summer. The same goes for the team. If there was any tension or acrimony over how the last several months played out, there has been no public indication of it.

"He's had the exact right attitude and approach," Finch said. "... His approach has been great. He's really done a good job in practice leadership wise, saying the right things."

Russell played in a contract year before, during the 2018-19 season when he was with the Nets. That was the lone year Russell made the All-Star team as an alternate. Russell's numbers that season took a dramatic leap from the prior season. He averaged 1.8 more assists per game (seven total) while keeping his turnovers the same (3.1), averaged 5.6 more points (21.1) and improved his three-point shooting from 32% to 37%.

The Wolves may be betting Russell is similarly motivated in a year they have high expectations of competing in a crowded Western Conference.

"I can't compare to the other years, but I think he's going to have a great year," Finch said.

Howl Wolves!!
It's not a coincidence that Russell had his best years in the weak Eastern Conference.

per Shama:

Wolves Owner Expects Fast Start

The Timberwolves play five of their first six games at Target Center including the season opener Wednesday night against the Thunder. The Wolves also have nine of their first 12 games at home—and for the most part the opponents are not a who’s who of NBA heavyweights.

With a reconfigured roster led by newly acquired all-NBA center Rudy Gobert and coming off a 46-36 season in 2021-2022, owner Glen Taylor has expectations for a fast start. “Well, I looked at the schedule. I think we’re playing against teams that I would say we have a very good chance of beating on paper. …Then we have the home games so expectations (are) we should come out of these first group of games with a pretty good record.”

Taylor has owned the franchise since 1994 and there have been plenty of difficult seasons. He counts the Kevin Garnett era and one season with Jimmy Butler as times of high expectations, along with right now. “This is the third time where I think we have a really good team, and my expectations are that we should go far into the season and do very well. You know it’s going to be fun for our fans, including myself.”

The way Taylor sees it is his team can make a statement in its first 12 games. “We have a history of not doing well against teams we should win (against). …Teams that are missing their stars, we go ahead and lose the game, and stuff like that. You know my expectations (are) that won’t happen this year.

“Get off to a good start. Now that’s good for the players but it’s also good for our fans too because I think it gets their interest and we’ll have a bigger attendance. …I think they’ll get behind the players (and) just motivate them to a higher level of play.”

Taylor also wants to see his team have playoff success, going beyond the first round of the postseason. That’s something Minnesota hasn’t done since 2004. The sting of last spring’s playoff series loss will last awhile since many observers will argue the Wolves were superior to the Grizzlies.

“That’s my expectation (to get beyond the first round),” Taylor said. “I think with the guys that we have, if other than injuries, they should deliver that. I am really confident in our coaching. I think they’ll get the most out of these guys. That’ll make a difference.”

A factor in how successfully the Wolves start the season will be the performance of Karl-Anthony Towns. The all-NBA big man has been asked to switch from center to power forward, and complicating the transition is an undisclosed illness that hospitalized him at the start of training camp.

Taylor didn’t describe the medical problem Towns faced. “Well, I am not going to go into it. They kept me advised everything that was going on. It was a setback, but we are hopeful given the next couple of weeks that he can get his strength and weight back.”

Taylor also said that as Towns recovers it doesn’t mean he “can’t play well.”

Is the nature of the medical issue something that can re-occur? “I don’t think so,” Taylor answered.

New owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez are scheduled soon to make another installment on the payment plan leading to their taking over majority ownership of the Wolves and WNBA Lynx by December of 2023. Taylor believes the process is on schedule. “My expectation (is) that the end of this year they would be obligated to make their second payment.”

For now Taylor is basking in a time of high expectations for his team. A visitor suggested there is a buzz about the Wolves. “You’re correct,” the 81-year-old owner said.

Howl Wolves!!

14. The Minnesota Timberwolves will have a top-five defense.​

The aggressive, chaotic defensive scheme that Chris Finch deployed in his first full season as Minnesota’s head coach wasn’t installed with consistent results in mind. This was a high-risk, high-reward outlook, more reliance on athleticism and pressure than needing all five defenders to rotate on a string.

Instead of dropping back, Finch wanted Karl-Anthony Towns higher up on the floor when guarding a ball screen. The goals were to (1) keep Towns engaged and out of foul trouble and (2) force the ball to ping around from player to player. The more passes that are made, the greater likelihood the Timberwolves could get their hands on the ball. All that scrambling killed them on the glass and led to a ton of unnecessary fouls and corner 3s. But Minnesota also finished second in opposing turnover rate and posted an above-average defensive rating for the first time since 2014.

Now Rudy Gobert, the walking embodiment of a human brick wall, is in Minneapolis. He simplifies everything by single-handedly creating environments where the only open shots regularly allowed are off the dribble and from the midrange. It’s the ultimate luxury. Throw in Jaden McDaniels, who (once he stops committing fouls) has all the physical tools to make several All-Defensive teams, an engaged Anthony Edwards (who blocked a KD turnaround on Friday night), a less culpable KAT, and a supporting cast of solid vets like Kyle Anderson and Taurean Prince, and scoring on Minnesota will not be easy.

Jace Fredrick over at the Pioneer Press isn't a fan of the "new Wolves". Or rather, he thinks the West is too tough.

Full column is at the link.

Wild West: A segment of fans on social media have had a difficult time understanding how a Timberwolves team that added Rudy Gobert is expected by many to only slightly exceed last season’s performance.

The reasoning lies within the conference. The West is again a bear, with eight teams expected to contend for top-four seeds in the conference. Last season’s Western Conference was decimated by a number of injuries. This year, most teams enter the season is good physical shape. If the Timberwolves are going to greatly outperform last season’s results, they will need to be significantly better than they were during the 2021-22 season.

PREDICTED WESTERN CONFERENCE ORDER OF FINISH:

1. Los Angeles Clippers
  2. Golden State Warriors
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Denver Nuggets
  5. Memphis Grizzlies
  6. Dallas Mavericks
  7. Minnesota Timberwolves
  8. New Orleans Pelicans
  9. Portland Trail Blazers
  10. Los Angeles Lakers
  11. San Antonio Spurs
  12. Sacramento Kings
  13. Utah Jazz
  14. Houston Rockets
  15. Oklahoma City Thunder
Timberwolves’ season prediction: 49-33, play-in victory with a first-round playoff exit

Neal III: These Timberwolves can make Target Center cool again, just like it used to be

It takes about 45 minutes to drive from Northfield to downtown Minneapolis. Then, sometimes, another 45 minutes to find a suitable parking spot near Target Center.

For proof, ask Brent Nystrom, Timberwolves season-ticket holder for the past 15 seasons, and off and on before that. A dozen or more times a season, he drives up Interstate 35 to attend games. He made it during their formative years. He made it during the Kevin Garnett era. And he's made it during a stretch in which the Wolves made the playoffs once in 17 seasons.

Nystrom also attended games last season, when Chris Finch's squad won 46 games, then a play-in game to qualify for the postseason. Nystrom was joined by thousands of new believers.

It was OK to be a Wolves fan again.

Now after the Wolves shocked the NBA by dealing five players and four first-round picks to Utah for three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert, expectations are that the franchise will contend in the Western Conference.

"There hasn't been as much anticipation for a season since Garnett and the Western Conference finals season (2003-04)," said Nystrom, who works for an investment management firm in Northfield. "That was the Big Three year, [Latrell] Sprewell and [Sam] Cassell.

"I mean, in terms of a roster in advance of a season, it's got to be the best since then."

Howl Wolves!!

Target Center sucks.

They should tear it down, turn it into apartments, and move the team to XCel.

Target Center sucks.

They should tear it down, turn it into apartments, and move the team to XCel.
Xcel is getting old too. Way better than TC though, I agree

Once Lore and Arod officially take over, I expect the arena debate to pick up

Randball Podcast. It's a half hour long but here are some highlights

"As I see it, these are the five keys to the Wolves winning 55 games, getting a top-four seed in the Western Conference and being a legitimate playoff threat:

Defensive consistency

The Wolves finished a respectable No. 13 in defensive rating last season, a major key in their jump to 46 wins and a playoff berth. Within that solid showing, though, there was inconsistency whenever the Wolves strayed from their scramble and recover style of coverage. They also were bludgeoned by offensive rebounds and second chance points throughout the year — and most significantly in losing to Memphis in the playoffs. The acquisition of defensive stalwart Rudy Gobert will obviously help..

Chemistry and roles clicking earlier rather than later

Let's not forget, this team started 4-9 a season ago. That means they were 42-27 the rest of the way, but scrambling like that can be exhausting..

Contract year D'Angelo Russell:

As Chris Hine and I also discussed on the podcast, Russell is still here. He was an All-Star with the Nets the last time he went into a season searching for a big new contract, and he still has the potential to be the X-factor in a lot of games for the Wolves. He will make the offense flow or bog down, and he could have some different defensive responsibilities this season as well. A motivated, healthy and productive D-Lo is essential for success.

The Karl-Anthony Towns and Gobert experiment

Will it work against smaller closing time lineups? Can Towns adjust to a lot of minutes at power forward? We didn't get much of a preseason sample size, so there will be kinks to work out along the way. But they are two of the Wolves' three best players, so maximizing their strengths is critical..

Role players being a net positive

he Wolves didn't deal away any stars to get Gobert, but they traded three players with important defined roles in Patrick Beverley, Jarred Vanderbilt and Malik Beasley. All three ranked in the top seven on the team in minutes played last season. Expanded roles for Jaylen Nowell and Taurean Prince, plus contributions from newcomers Kyle Anderson, Austin Rivers and Bryn Forbes (among others) will tell a big story in the middle quarters of games."

Like Wolves Fans themselves, the national media have been burned by getting to optimistic about the Timberwolves

Windhorst is now optimistic again about the Timberwolves. He told Doogie Wolfson that he could see the Wolves being a top-4 team. He also noted that few teams in the league have the level of top-end talent the Wolves do. However, he also joked about feeling he needs to be cautious with his expectations on his podcast, saying, “I’m a little bit thrice burned fourth time shy on the Timberwolves over the years. … I can’t believe I’m back to do another ‘Wolves are gonna be good’ story, because I’ve done this story several times.” He later said one of the other times he got burned was when Tom Thibodeau first became the coach, and he and Tim Bontemps predicted the team would win over 50 games, but they only won 31.

Windhorst’s story is enlightening because it shows that he has gone through many of the same disappointments that Timberwolves fans have, and has too been scared by their failures. While he doesn’t have the same emotional attachment to the Wolves as fans do, those disappointments have made us all afraid to be overly optimistic about the team, lest we be hurt again. Luckily, the Wolves now appear to be in a better place than ever before, with a robust front office full of successful staff members and a promising core of talented players. We should soon be able to let our cautious optimism bloom into full-blown confidence without feeling foolish for doing so a month later. That confidence is something that Wolves fans, and writers covering the team, have deserved for a long time..

Top Bottom