All Things Minnesota Timberwolves 2022-2023 In-Season Thread

For anyone who has watchted the Twolves since KAT has been here you should know that KAT playing defense in the lane on 5's has been Godly awful. Last year was the first year where he was kind of able to play out on the perimeter and elsewhere and the overall defense of the team was extremely better. I think KAT guarding NBA 4s will be a lot better than KAT guarding 5s and being our rim protector.

For anyone who has watchted the Twolves since KAT has been here you should know that KAT playing defense in the lane on 5's has been Godly awful. Last year was the first year where he was kind of able to play out on the perimeter and elsewhere and the overall defense of the team was extremely better. I think KAT guarding NBA 4s will be a lot better than KAT guarding 5s and being our rim protector.
We shall see I guess. He's certainly no rim protector. So hopefully him guarding 4's will be at least marginally better

We shall see I guess. He's certainly no rim protector. So hopefully him guarding 4's will be at least marginally better
i'm honestly more concerned about Towns when he's being guarded by 4's now instead of 5's. Him on defense scares me less than him on offense, but again, we will see.

The Twolves go tall while the NBA goes small. NBA find success in quick players while the Twolves goes slower with taller players. How's that going to work out?
Doing the opposite is often a good strategy.

I only watched about 10 minutes but boy oh boy did Rivers look bad. I hope he is the one cut and not Forbes.
Agreed. However, he plays defense. Nowell and Forbes are lost on defense. I think it will come down to Rivers or Forbes. I know that Rivers' contract is only partially guaranteed. I don't know the specifics of Forbes' contract.

After an uncertain offseason, Eric Paschall happy to be with Timberwolves​

Within the Wolves organization, Paschall had Dell Demps, the former New Orleans general manager and Utah assistant coach whom Tim Connelly brought in to the Wolves front office this summer.

The Wolves had one of their two two-way contract slots open, and instead of using one on a rookie without any NBA experience, the team opted to offer Paschall one of them.

Paschall has played in 158 games and averaged 9.8 points per game.

He posted his best numbers in his rookie season with Golden State in a season Klay Thompson was still recovering from a torn knee ligament and Stephen Curry suffered a wrist injury that caused him to miss all but five games. Paschall averaged 14 points and 4.6 rebounds that season.

Paschall — who scored one point in 13 minutes against the Heat and did not play Thursday against the Lakers in Las Vegas — saw an opportunity in Minnesota, and that was one reason he signed with the Wolves, but he had another reason to do so.

"If I stopped playing, what the hell was I going to do?" Paschall said with a laugh. "That was the real question. Like I didn't know what I was going to do. I was like, damn, I don't even got no plan.

"… It was just like you know what, I'm still in the prime years — I'm 25 years old. But that just proves mental health is real. Some days were good, some days were bad."

Paschall's year in Utah gave him a chance to play up close with new Wolves center Rudy Gobert, and he offered a preview of what Gobert would bring.

"A lot of blocks," Paschall said. "Man, playing with him last year, it's funny, like, you'll see somebody drive to the hole so hard and Rudy will step up, next thing you know they're dribbling the ball out. That's his effect."

As for Paschall, he's seeing where this year in Minnesota might take him, both on the court and off.

"It wasn't really the easiest decision. Had to have a lot of tough conversations about it," he said. "But I feel like I'm in a pretty good place now. Pretty happy that I'm here."

Howl Wolves!!

Three observations from Timberwolves' preseason victory: Rudy Gobert makes his debut​

Immediate impact on the glass

The Wolves had the NBA's 13th-best defensive efficiency last season. But that number could have been better if their defensive rebounding percentage was better than 28th (.706). This was the biggest problem the Wolves had in their six-game playoff series against the Grizzlies: shutting down possessions after the first shot. It will be a while before the Wolves can erase the image of Brandon Clarke getting almost every offensive rebound in a key situation in that series.

Gobert is not only the best rim protector of this generation, but he is also one of the best defensive rebounders in the league. Thursday's game was evidence of just how much he will help the Wolves in that area too.

Gobert played only 17 minutes, but he had 12 rebounds in that time. The Lakers had a small lineup on the floor, and Gobert towered over them. He made rebounding look easier than it ever did last season for the Wolves. Offensively, Gobert had five points and three assists as he worked with guards D'Angelo Russell and Anthony Edwards on their screen-and-roll game.

The offensive chemistry will be a work in progress, but one thing that is evident immediately is how much Gobert is going to help the Wolves address one of their biggest weaknesses from a season ago.

Reid downshifts to power forward

One of the story lines to track early in the regular season is just where Naz Reid fits into the picture of the Wolves rotation. Reid has been Karl-Anthony Towns' backup center for the first three years of his professional career. The plan for the Wolves is to have one of Gobert and Towns on the floor together at all times. Reid has been working on playing the power forward position this offseason in order to better compete for minutes at that spot when either Towns or Gobert is sitting.

He got the start alongside Gobert with Towns still resting from a non-COVID-19 illness that has affected his availability early in training camp. Reid will likely be competing for those minutes at the four spot along with Kyle Anderson, the veteran the Wolves signed in the offseason.

Reid finished with eight points, five rebounds and two blocks in 18 minutes after he struggled in the game against Miami with foul trouble. Reid's usage and where he plays will be something coach Chris Finch will likely be balancing all season.

Wolves depth ready to go

The Wolves look like a deep team in the early part of the preseason. Jaylen Nowell had another sharp game with 13 points, while newcomer Bryn Forbes looks like he could slide right into the rotation with seven points. The veteran guard's prolific three-point shooting will be something the Wolves need with the departure of Malik Beasley.

Jordan McLaughlin ran the offense smoothly when he was in at point guard. Nathan Knight also gave the Wolves quality minutes with 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting, proving the Wolves may have an abundance of frontcourt depth this season.

Howl Wolves!!

was listening to Doogie. If you accept him as credible, he was saying that this whole infection thing really hit Towns hard and he is not going to be 100% for a few weeks. Towns' minutes could be restricted for the first few games while he rebuilds his strength.

so, if this is accurate, that will impact rotations for the early part of the season.

KAT has always been a 4. Now they finally have a legit 5 to play next to him.

KAT has always been a 4. Now they finally have a legit 5 to play next to him.
Agreed. I’ll make an argument for Gorgei, but he was overpaid. They probably should have done more Dieng Towns experiments back then too.

"He played just 17 minutes, but Rudy Gobert’s unofficial Timberwolves debut in Thursday’s preseason victory over the Lakers in Las Vegas showed the numerous ways in which the center will change life for Minnesota.

Defensively, the three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year controlled the paint in all the ways Minnesota assumed he would. The Lakers shot just 47 percent in the paint — for reference, opponents hit 57 percent of shots in the paint last season against the Wolves — and, when Gobert was in the game, Los Angeles largely steered clear of the interior, instead opting for lower-percentage mid-range looks.

So while he didn’t block a shot — he did have two steals — Gobert’s mere presence was a deterrent to those considering attacking the paint..

He controlled the glass, grabbing 12 rebounds, including two on the offensive end. One of those was a thunderous slam putback on a D’Angelo Russell missed shot that served as a de facto lob off the rim. While he only scored five points, Gobert demonstrated the easy offense he can generate..

Gobert also finished with three actual assists and a number of screen assists. His usage in the screen game appeared to be the base of much of what Minnesota wanted to do on the offensive end..

I watched the first half last night. Man, the Clippers are going to be good. It seems like they are 25 players deep. Having said that, I knew the wolves would win. They are also very deep and looking like very good team. I knew they would win because the Clippers went off on them in the first half but the wolves kept it to single digits.

It's highly unlikely the wolves will finish above the Clippers in the standings. However, you can see that there isn't much of a gap, if any, in the level of talent between the wolves and the elite teams in the league. Barring injuries or some variation of the Minnesota Sports Curse (MSC), this will be a fun year at Target Center.

Timberwolves beat the Clippers last night 119-117 last night in L.A. Here's the L.A.Times story on the game. The score is mentioned. Though not sure the writer even saw the game, but heck, it doesn't count anyway. ;)

"Minneapolis/St. Paul – The Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx today announced it will host a Locker Room Liquidation Sale on Friday, Oct. 14 from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on the Skyway level at Mayo Clinic Square.

Fans have the opportunity to purchase discounted Wolves and Lynx merchandise including signed basketballs, posters, and team issued gear. A full range of apparel featuring t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, pants, and shorts are available in a variety of colorways. Shoes are also available at discounted prices.

All proceeds benefit the Fastbreak Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx. All sales final and no part of the purchase is considered a tax-deductible donation. Cash and credit accepted."

The Miami Herald on this season's Wolves.

- When the Timberwolves start the season at home Oct. 19 against Oklahoma City, Gobert will be patrolling the paint in the more traditional post role. Towns will movie to the power forward spot, where his 3-point shooting ability and above-average mobility ought to be even more of an asset. Gobert makes for a better pick-and-roll match with point guard D'Angelo Russell, too. “I’ve always loved to play with another dominant big, because I’ve always thought that I could pass, whether it would be in the short roll or be in a different situation that maybe people haven’t seen me in the last couple years," Gobert said. ”But I know that I can make guys around me better."

He's more than merely a shot-blocker and defensive rebounder, too. The 30-year-old has led the NBA in field goal percentage in three of the last four seasons and averaged nearly 15 points per game over the last past six years. “He’s such a great athlete, he moves so well, that you can really use him in a bunch of ways," coach Chris Finch said.

- NEXT STEP The Timberwolves might actually be on the verge of becoming Anthony Edwards' team. Poised for a breakout third season, Edwards focused on strength and conditioning as well as rebounding — and came back bigger and stronger..

Jaden McDaniels, who was drafted 27 picks after Edwards in the first round two years ago, will also see his role and responsibility elevated in Season Three. He'll have a clear size advantage over many of his opponents at the small forward spot. “We’re all capable of playing really any style,” McDaniels said. "I’m just very excited to see how it all works together.”

The Timberwolves lost Patrick Beverley, Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt in the Gobert deal, but they still have plenty of useful pieces to fit around the star-studded starting lineup. Jaylen Nowell, Jordan McLaughlin, Taurean Prince and Naz Reid remain from last season's productive second unit. Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes and Austin Rivers are the most notable newcomers next to Gobert. Rivers, who's entering his 11th year in the NBA after spending last season with Denver, will fill some of the defense and leadership voids without Beverley. “The way he goes about it will be different from the way I go about it,” Rivers said, “but the message that we’re delivering is from the same cloth.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article267153201.html#storylink=cpy

per STrib:

The Timberwolves' twin towers of Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns have yet to play in a preseason game together, and that still won't happen Wednesday night in Los Angeles against the Lakers, coach Chris Finch said Tuesday.

Gobert will rest for the matchup as the team looks to keep his workload light this preseason following his run to the silver medal for France in the EuroBasket tournament this summer. The team is also managing one of Gobert's knees to make sure it is 100% when he takes the floor for the regular season.

"We're trying to give him as much rest as we can right now," Finch said. "He's getting a bunch of treatment to make that thing feel as good as it can and we're trying to be mindful of all the work that he had in his ramp-up this summer."

Finch, speaking on a Zoom teleconference as the team practiced in Los Angeles, said the plan was for Gobert and Towns to play together in Friday's preseason finale at home against Brooklyn.

"Ideally we would've liked more [of them playing together]," Finch said. "But we're definitely getting the work done."

Howl Wolves!!

Guys, guys, guys, you are over-reacting. This is the NBA's City Series. These jerseys are an obvious homage to the most notable achievement in Minneapolis architecture, Riverside Plaza:

View attachment 21068

Generally don't like or care, about any of the "City Jerseys" throughout the NBA, but that's where Mary Richards lived! " This community of colorful skyscrapers was used for exterior shots of Mary’s new apartment beginning in the 6th season of the show."

Though won't Mary Tyler Moore fans be out of intended demographic? :unsure:

^^^^ He will be playing most of the year in Des Moines. Do you think he will be a draw in Iowa?

Timberwolves' Anthony Edwards enters pivotal third season in NBA​

More room for growth

Even with his strong first two seasons, there are ways in which Edwards is still growing in his game — and learning about life in the spotlight off the court.

In September, Edwards released a video to his social media in which he directed homophobic comments toward a group of men. He apologized for those comments at the team's media day and pledged to work to mend fences with those he hurt in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

"I'm willing to do whatever, whatever it takes to make it right," Edwards said. "To show everybody that I come with respect and that's not who I am. I'm willing to take it as far as I need to."

It remains to be seen how Edwards will specifically do that, and that will be something he will have to work at throughout the season, a season in which the team has expectations and pressure unlike Edwards' first two.

"He got that taste of winning and he got that taste of notoriety during that playoff run," Holland said. "He got that sense of having the city behind you."

Edwards has started garnering attention for his play — he recently was named the 25th-best player in the league in an ESPN poll. But players only move up those rankings toward the top if they win. For the Wolves to do that at a high level, they may need Edwards to smooth the rougher edges of his game and unlock the potential they have seen from day one. Not that Edwards is sweating it, like he was sweating during those summer workouts.

"We the best players in the world in the NBA, and I think you get paid to win games," Edwards said. "So I don't feel any pressure. I can't wait to win games."

Howl Wolves!!

per Shooter:

Prospective Timberwolves-Lynx owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez have six weeks to make their second payment of $275 million to Glen Taylor, who has agreed to sell the teams for $1.5 billion. The pair’s first payment was $275 million last year. At least one more payment — much larger — is to be made before the closing date in December of 2023.

The Wolves, whose roster is the deepest in the franchise’s 33-year history, this year are second in the NBA in new season ticket sales and had a season ticket renewal rate of more than 90 percent.

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom