All Things Mercy Miller Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024 from Minnehaha Academy, Gophers Offered)

So Suggs parents thought he was so good as an 8 year old they held him back? That is outstanding. Id hire them as scouts/recruiters immediately.
Honestly it’s been common practice in the hockey community for years too.

It all depends on the child’s emotional and educational development and Not Sports! A lot of that has to deal with how you prepare the kid.

It is kind of early to assume your kid won’t be able to attend kindergarten at the normal age. My daughter was an August birthday and she had no problems. I have a late November birthday and started school when I was 4, college when I was 17.

It is sad how many parents hold back their kids just for sports. Also, crediting Minnehaha as a sports school because they had one small group of kids in one sport transfer in is a stretch.
I didn’t say he couldn’t go. I said he won’t. I’m sure going to college at 17 benefited you 0 long term. Thanks for the parenting advice though.

But how many of those kids go pro? Suggs did. And not because he was held back a year.
The group I went to school with had six go to juniors. One played pro, but he honestly wasn’t held back lol. Youth hockey goes by age and not grade so it’s not as relevant. Glad well actually talks about it in his book. It just means they have earlier success due to maturity and that resonates with them because they get challenged more and therefore are better. In all reality, I think it’s really not a loss either way as long as the child is mature, graduates, and is ready to go to college/pursue a career path. If you do it early the kid doesn’t really know any better

That’s precisely it. If my kid turns into a lottery pick? Great. But 99.99999% of kids who are held back and are “old” for the grade aren’t prodigious sports stars.
But it feeds their ego to be the star of their teams growing up because they are really a year older. Saying this as a parent who didn't hold back my April/June kids. It also applies to academics. If you look at the NFL a disproportionate number of players are from early in the year as the Dec. 31st kids have to play up:

"Herron and Jack F. Heneghan. Comparing the distribution of player births with births from the general population, the researchers found evidence that NFL players are more disproportionately born in the early months of the year, namely January through March."

But for parents it's more about confidence. Your kid will have more confidence if they should be in 5th grade but get to clobber a bunch of 4th graders. Boys or girls..

We had 4 guys drafted from my hockey team in high school (one went pro right away and won a cup, the other 3 went the college route). No idea if they were young or old for their class, they were just really good. When we went to the legion World Series in back to back years, the Lynch-pin the first year was a sophomore, who went on to be the first pick in the 2nd round (RIP Kid) because he was just that good. Again, no idea if he was young or old for his class.

A lot of youth sports are based on age. Soccer for instance. I am a late July birthday so I had to play up a year for travel teams because the cutoff was august 1st.

"Redshirting" is when parents hold back their kids for athletic reasons.

I didn’t say he couldn’t go. I said he won’t. I’m sure going to college at 17 benefited you 0 long term. Thanks for the parenting advice though.
It allowed me to retire quite early....

I was just pointing out how you have already made the decision without waiting to evaluate the childs development. So it is based upon a preconceived bias and not the child's actual ability.

Kids have been starting kindergarten at 5 for over 100 years, it is designed for kids at that age.

I was just pointing out how you have already made the decision without waiting to evaluate the childs development. So it is based upon a preconceived bias and not the child's actual ability.

Kids have been starting kindergarten at 5 for over 100 years, it is designed for kids at that age.
You retired a year earlier.

There isn’t any bias. It’s a decision we are making. It doesn’t matter if he is “ready” at 5. There isn’t a rush to get him into school. Waiting a year isn’t going to negatively impact him. Thanks for your input. Enjoy your early retirement!

Back to Mercy—and maybe I missed this—did Pitino have an offer to him? I don’t know if this has any chance of happening with him bouncing to Oak Hill

They went to Minnehaha as a group. Before they arrived there most of them repeated a grade in elementary…. They had a nice 3A run didn’t play big school. Greatest team ever got beat up by CDH and beat down on their home gym by EP… now back to 2A… I am glad the kids went there they got a good education and are playing in college… sometimes the easy part is getting there the hard part is sustaining it… maybe they will dip to 1A next year..
Damn! Came to the thread to read about Mercy Miller transferring ended with a Minnehaha Academy tear down?! How do you really feel?

See Mercy Miller is playing for Oak Hill Academy.....doesn't play much (5-6 minutes) and apparently has only played in 7 games (out of 30+). He has committed to Houston which shows the kind of clout these high schools have....a guy averaging a couple of points per game as a sophomore already has committed to a high level program.

See Mercy Miller is playing for Oak Hill Academy.....doesn't play much (5-6 minutes) and apparently has only played in 7 games (out of 30+). He has committed to Houston which shows the kind of clout these high schools have....a guy averaging a couple of points per game as a sophomore already has committed to a high level program.
https://247sports.com/player/mercy-miller-46115441/

39th on 247, not in top 59 of 247 composite though

I probably would bet he never plays for Houston.

They've been to the Elite 8 and Final Four the last two years, you can put that up against just about anyone else
I’m just not sure about him as a player. His dad is a different guy too maybe he plays pro somewhere. Houston has a very good program.

Ben is expecting the young man to give him a call. #confidence.

Top Bottom