All Things Mercy Miller Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024 from Minnehaha Academy, Gophers Offered)

Is there a "here's the earliest someone committed and actually stuck with that commitment" record on the books? I'm predicting, with absolutely no inside knowledge whatsoever, that he doesn't end up at Houston. There's just too much that can change over that timeframe.

Is there a "here's the earliest someone committed and actually stuck with that commitment" record on the books? I'm predicting, with absolutely no inside knowledge whatsoever, that he doesn't end up at Houston. There's just too much that can change over that timeframe.
Are we sure this isn't the start of a corporate merger between No limit and Swisha House? I really hope so.

Jereme Richmond committed to Illinois in November 2006 in his freshman year of high school, before having played a game of high school basketball, to join the Illinois 2010 recruiting class. He did eventually end up signing with, and playing for, Illinois. He left after his freshman year of college, didn't get drafted, and then got in some legal trouble later that year.

LaMelo Ball committed to UCLA at the age of 13 in July 2015 to join UCLA's 2019 class. He never ended up going to college, but it seems like it was more because of concerns about his eligibility due to playing some professional basketball and getting some sort of shoe deal with LaVar Ball's company.

Rats on a sinking ship
Huh? Good for you for ripping on high school kids. Should they apologize for having 2 generational high school players (top 5 NBA picks) that attract other kids who want to play there?

They went to Minnehaha as a group. Before they arrived there most of them repeated a grade in elementary…. They had a nice 3A run didn’t play big school. Greatest team ever got beat up by CDH and beat down on their home gym by EP… now back to 2A… I am glad the kids went there they got a good education and are playing in college… sometimes the easy part is getting there the hard part is sustaining it… maybe they will dip to 1A next year..

They went to Minnehaha as a group. Before they arrived there most of them repeated a grade in elementary…. They had a nice 3A run didn’t play big school. Greatest team ever got beat up by CDH and beat down on their home gym by EP… now back to 2A… I am glad the kids went there they got a good education and are playing in college… sometimes the easy part is getting there the hard part is sustaining it… maybe they will dip to 1A next year..
Completely non-sensical. They had 2 LOTTERY PICKS play at the school. Lottery picks. As in the NBA. When was the last time that ever happened in MN high school basketball? Let me think... never. Whether they skipped a grade or not makes no difference. Hard to sustain... yeah, hard to sustain consistent top 5 picks...

Why the vitriol towards Minnehaha?

Fact... nothing they did was illegal or against the rules. Sounds like you just don't like that they did it, which is your opinion, and you're entitled to it... but certainly not reason to trash the school. Or the kids.

Another fact... Jalen's birthday is in June. While that makes him old for his grade, that's not exactly abnormal. For those of us with kids, I can certainly understand not wanting your kid to be one of the younger kids in your grade. Much rather be the oldest. And my kids are certainly not lottery picks. If my kids were born in June, I'd make the same call. Hold them back. Athletes or not.

And in Chet's case, his birthday is in May... while that certainly makes him old for his grade, if you're projected to be 7-feet tall, but don't have a huge frame... wouldn't you want to give your kid the best shot bring a professional basketball player?

I respect your opinion Chet May 1 and Suggs June 3… Lockett , Smith and a couple others… just coincidence? Then I apologize. Even the oldest Miller was 19 when he graduated.. more 19 year old seniors in that circle of friends then my entire senior class..

Like you said they didn’t break any rules but a couple kids got burned and had to go to a prep school or couldn’t play for the high school.

FWIW my kid isn’t even 2 and I’ve already thought of how he’ll be 19 at graduation or barely 18. His birthday is May 3rd. Realistically we will start kindergarten late because we can afford daycare and him being young for his grade probably doesn’t benefit him mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.

FWIW my kid isn’t even 2 and I’ve already thought of how he’ll be 19 at graduation or barely 18. His birthday is May 3rd. Realistically we will start kindergarten late because we can afford daycare and him being young for his grade probably doesn’t benefit him mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.
Malcom Gladwell writes about this in his book "Outliers". Since boys typically are slower developing than girls, it's even more important to watch it with them in most cases. In the sports world this isn't new. It happened before Suggs. Doug Gottlieb's dad held him back in the late 80's.

Just facts. A group of parents collaborated by holding back their kids a grade strictly for athletic purposes. It was all planned. Fact… I clearly stated happy they got a good education and living their dreams…
This is correct and pretty well known. It was done with the intent to be better at sports solely.

Malcom Gladwell writes about this in his book "Outliers". Since boys typically are slower developing than girls, it's even more important to watch it with them in most cases. In the sports world this isn't new. It happened before Suggs. Doug Gottlieb's dad held him back in the late 80's.
That’s precisely it. If my kid turns into a lottery pick? Great. But 99.99999% of kids who are held back and are “old” for the grade aren’t prodigious sports stars.

Couple different waves. Suggs and Holmgren did 2nd and 3rd. Some others repeated 8th grade and thats why they ended up ineligible with MSHSL
So Suggs parents thought he was so good as an 8 year old they held him back? That is outstanding. Id hire them as scouts/recruiters immediately.

So Suggs parents thought he was so good as an 8 year old they held him back? That is outstanding. Id hire them as scouts/recruiters immediately.
They may have noticed he was a better athlete than student.

Doug Gottlieb, the epitome of White Privilege, that extra year really helped his maturity LOL

It all depends on the child’s emotional and educational development and Not Sports! A lot of that has to deal with how you prepare the kid.

It is kind of early to assume your kid won’t be able to attend kindergarten at the normal age. My daughter was an August birthday and she had no problems. I have a late November birthday and started school when I was 4, college when I was 17.

It is sad how many parents hold back their kids just for sports. Also, crediting Minnehaha as a sports school because they had one small group of kids in one sport transfer in is a stretch.

Top Bottom