All Things Maddyn Greenway Recruitment Thread (Class of 2026, Gophers Offered)

I think some players make up their minds and keep it to themselves, they enjoy the campus visits. Can’t say as I blame them. I assume she can make a verbal commitment any time, I’m not sue that’s true of signing a letter of intent. I wouldn’t bet against her going to Iowa.

Its not a matter of if she commits to Iowa, its when. Her family knew well in advance when the offer was coming but her dad wants to her to go through a little bit of the recruiting process like he did.

Plenty of players commit and still take visits. I imagine it would feel really fake to do so if your heart was set on a certain school. Why play games getting to know coaches and teammates who will soon be future rivals? Quit playing games and wasting people's time... just commit to the team you've dreamed of playing with!

Plenty of players commit and still take visits. I imagine it would feel really fake to do so if your heart was set on a certain school. Why play games getting to know coaches and teammates who will soon be future rivals? Quit playing games and wasting people's time... just commit to the team you've dreamed of playing with!
People can and do change their minds. Remember how young she is. Things can happen years from now. Most recruiters don't just cave in and give up on young players until they commit somewhere.

People can and do change their minds. Remember how young she is. Things can happen years from now. Most recruiters don't just cave in and give up on young players until they commit somewhere.
I was attempting to be a little cheeky in my post. I agree that young athletes need to especially explore all of their options. And, yes, Whalen and other coaches should continue to put in the effort. You never know what might happen.

The non-Iowa coaches aren't likely going to go all in on Greenway as they need to recruit the position of need. Most will identify and offer another player(s) at that position. If one of these players commits to the non-Iowa team, Greenway's offer will just be pulled.

Greenway needs to be sure that Iowa doesn't find someone better than her at her position or she could be left dancing without a partner! It must be stressful being recruited out of high school as a student athlete in today's world. With the portal now becoming such a focus, scholarships for high school players are in slightly less supply.

A lot of assumptions that she going to Iowa.... with no contact with her or people in her circle.

I was attempting to be a little cheeky in my post. I agree that young athletes need to especially explore all of their options. And, yes, Whalen and other coaches should continue to put in the effort. You never know what might happen.

The non-Iowa coaches aren't likely going to go all in on Greenway as they need to recruit the position of need. Most will identify and offer another player(s) at that position. If one of these players commits to the non-Iowa team, Greenway's offer will just be pulled.

Greenway needs to be sure that Iowa doesn't find someone better than her at her position or she could be left dancing without a partner! It must be stressful being recruited out of high school as a student athlete in today's world. With the portal now becoming such a focus, scholarships for high school players are in slightly less supply.
I don't think Greenway needs to worry about the scholarship being pulled. Hawks fans would go bazerk! I agree the portal has changed the scholarship for high school student athletes. I don't like this portal mess.

Iowa State offered but I think Cyclones have about a 0.01% probability of getting her. Guessing the offer was like "If something weird happens and you decide no to Iowa we'd love to have you."

Clark's 4 year scoring mark won't last for long at Iowa
As we well know with Minnesota alums kids...sometimes they want to make their own mark and take their own trajectory to a different school. Who knows where she ends up at this point.

As we well know with Minnesota alums kids...sometimes they want to make their own mark and take their own trajectory to a different school. Who knows where she ends up at this point.

She grew up in Minnesota. Going to rival Iowa would not be smart. To play at Williams Arena with the Iowa fans here and her beating up on Minnesota with Minnesota fans at the game... I would avoid that. Anywhere but Iowa or Wisconsin. She can pick wherever she wants but not there.

She grew up in Minnesota. Going to rival Iowa would not be smart. To play at Williams Arena with the Iowa fans here and her beating up on Minnesota with Minnesota fans at the game... I would avoid that. Anywhere but Iowa or Wisconsin. She can pick wherever she wants but not there.
she can GO ANYWHERE she wants to go... it's her choice..

Her parents are both Iowa Alums. Iowa coach Bluder is legend, and her dad was friend of coach Whalen. Great player, but let's not pretend there is any chance she will be a Gopher. Doubt we could drum up enough NIL to matter. That kid will have the pick of all the top schools.

Last edited:

I don’t care how good she is, (She is fricken good) unless she changes some things I DON’T want her. She should have gotten a technical multiple times this weekends. Including screaming in a girls face today. The Albany girl and coach were nothing but respectful from what I saw and it was completely unnecessary. She is a hack but never gets called and then whines constantly. She is cheap. I like girls having a chip on their shoulder but she needs to fine that line.

I don’t care how good she is, (She is fricken good) unless she changes some things I DON’T want her. She should have gotten a technical multiple times this weekends. Including screaming in a girls face today. The Albany girl and coach were nothing but respectful from what I saw and it was completely unnecessary. She is a hack but never gets called and then whines constantly. She is cheap. I like girls having a chip on their shoulder but she needs to fine that line.
Are you on dope?

Well she is probably modeling her whine game after Iowegian CC who now resembles Diana Taurasi. I agree it’s obnoxious and if their coaches don’t stop it the refs absolutely should…

Chip Scoggins:

Maddyn the Magician put on a show at the old Barn over three games as Providence Academy repeated as state champions, culminating with Saturday's 74-60 victory over Albany.

The Lions finished the season with a 29-game winning streak, which included a victory over traditional large-school power Hopkins and a 126-point scoring barrage vs. Minnehaha Academy.

Greenway scored 60 points in that game to become the first ninth-grader in Minnesota history to reach 2,000 points in a career. She averaged 38 points in state tournament games.

She led the state this season in scoring and assists and finished fifth in steals. As a freshman.

"She's special," Albany coach Aaron Boyum said.

Well she is probably modeling her whine game after Iowegian CC who now resembles Diana Taurasi. I agree it’s obnoxious and if their coaches don’t stop it the refs absolutely should…
I left before she did get a technical I think. No doubt she is an amazing player. I just can’t believe what she gets away with. I agree the refs and coaches need to put….not even a stop to it, because having an edge is a good thing….but tone it down. I honestly thought she was going to hurt someone or hirself with her theatrics.

I don’t believe she will ever consider Minnesota anyway. Wherever she goes she will need a strong coach…..
When I say I don’t want her…..it’s a combination of me being appalled by her actions this weekend and the idea that she would never be a gopher. So I just don’t want time wasted on her.

Her parents are both Iowa Alums. Iowa coach Bluder is legend, and her dad was friend of coach Whalen. Great player, but let's not pretend there is any chance she will be a Gopher. Doubt we could drum up enough NIL to matter. That kid will have the pick of all the top schools.
I'd assume about 90% Iowa, 8% South Carolina, 2% anywhere else

Chad, her father recently said he wants her to go to Iowa but she's a teenager who thinks she knows everything. I think Iowa is still the team too beat, but she has a quite a while yet to decide.

Have you watched D1 basketball? She plays intense defense and is athletic. Not all contact is a foul. She did scream is the direction of an Albany player, but you can't tell if it was at the camera or fans behind the basket. The Albany player thought it was at her, but not sure it 100% was. Had the officials called the first foul at the end of the game and didn't allow the girl to try and keep fouling, she doesn't take offense to the contact. Look at all the pieces that go into it. They look like they are having a lot of fun on the court, but I agree it shouldn't be at the expense of the opponent. I don't think it was.

Long way to go to get her to college. Possible injuries and will Iowa's coach still be there? Bluder would be 65 when Greenway arrives.

Have you watched D1 basketball? She plays intense defense and is athletic. Not all contact is a foul. She did scream is the direction of an Albany player, but you can't tell if it was at the camera or fans behind the basket. The Albany player thought it was at her, but not sure it 100% was. Had the officials called the first foul at the end of the game and didn't allow the girl to try and keep fouling, she doesn't take offense to the contact. Look at all the pieces that go into it. They look like they are having a lot of fun on the court, but I agree it shouldn't be at the expense of the opponent. I don't think it was.

Long way to go to get her to college. Possible injuries and will Iowa's coach still be there? Bluder would be 65 when Greenway arrives.
it was pretty clear she was screaming in her face....

and as for your 1st point about intense defense......she could have been called for multiple 1st half fouls that would have changed the game completely. lots of if they called a foul i could see it, if they dont call a foul i could see it. but the refs were consistent for the most part so its not like they were calling some and not calling others so no real complaints there.

In the first 30 seconds I watched her play she got called for a foul and then made it obvious to the ref that she didn’t appreciate the call. She definitely gets some latitude defensively from the refs. No one else gets away with that many reach ins. Can she play? Absolutely talented and driven. That said her attitude reminds me of CC from Iowa. Great player, knows it, and is convinced that the game revolves around her. As for the ending sequence in the game, both coaches should have backed off. There was no need for a competitive inbounds play. First off, Greenway and another girl were having words, then Greenway took the ball towards the basket instead of just treading water out front. Watching her makes me wonder if she will be insufferable in a couple years. If you are a high school ref and can’t tone down a freshman, you need a different part time gig!

Top Bottom