All Things Kerwin Walton Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020)

I want to see this kid play first. Hell, Hurt was going to make us big 10 champs and be one and done. LMAO

This guy was ranked around 100. Is he a guaranteed player at NC? Maybe, maybe not!

Our ranking of 0.942 puts us fourth in the B1G, and that's without counting Robbins and Johnson (both transfers so they don't get ranking numbers). I'll take that any day. BADgers are 9th, and Iwoa is dead last.
Not true. Your looking at average rank of recruit and not conference rating for class.

things we don't know:

could a different coach have convinced Walton to go to MN?

Are recruits saying 'no' to MN because of the program, or the coach, or both?

does MN have to cheat to get top players?

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
A different coach that won a lot would have a far better chance of getting better players no matter where they are from. Do people even have a idea of what our coaches record means to a great many recruits ? We have had a talent level that a ton of coaches would have won with. They would have built a solid foundation that shows kids and families that it works.

The only thing that bug me about the Walton situation is where he said his new coach to be was upfront and honest about everything. I doubt if he was when it came to the academic situation.

Not true. Your looking at average rank of recruit and not conference rating for class.
I get it, you don't like Pitino, but the facts are right there for everyone to see, and what I stated is fact. Our ranking of 94.32 puts us fourth in the B1G, and that's without counting Robbins and Johnson (both transfers so they don't get ranking numbers). Your beloved BADgers are 9th, and Iwoa is dead last. I'll take quality over quantity, and based on that metric we're in fourth. You can use a different metric if you want, I have no problem with that, but it doesn't change the facts. I'll choose the one that is based purely on the quality of recruit versus the number of recruits.

I actually like the average rank more personally. That being said, this will be a good class for Wisconsin.
Sure, I guess you can consider 9th place as being good. Certainly not great or elite, but "good" is an okay way of describing it.

I actually like the average rank more personally. That being said, this will be a good class for Wisconsin.
The best part is we get to see who gets more wins and better conference finishes. I like the 3 3 star players they have and think two of them are wildly underrated. I am not picking the criteria. The rating services rank classes nationally and by conference. Plus they will have a class that is full for a long time together in a formula of experience that works.

I get it, you don't like Pitino, but the facts are right there for everyone to see, and what I stated is fact. Our ranking of 94.32 puts us fourth in the B1G, and that's without counting Robbins and Johnson (both transfers so they don't get ranking numbers). Your beloved BADgers are 9th, and Iwoa is dead last. I'll take quality over quantity, and based on that metric we're in fourth. You can use a different metric if you want, I have no problem with that, but it doesn't change the facts. I'll choose the one that is based purely on the quality of recruit versus the number of recruits.
I see the gophers at 8th and Wisconsin in 3rd at 247. And Wisconsin 3rd and gophers 11th on rivals. You probably said this already but where are you looking for rankings?

The best part is we get to see who gets more wins and better conference finishes. I like the 3 3 star players they have and think two of them are wildly underrated. I am not picking the criteria. The rating services rank classes nationally and by conference. Plus they will have a class that is full for a long time together in a formula of experience that works.
Got it. You like your team's 3 star recruits better than my team's 4 star recruits. I don't agree with you on that one, but I get it, you need to defend your team.

Oh is it possible Kerwin isn't being paid to UNC? And hasn't been promised a fraudulent class system? Certainly it is possible, and perhaps the charitable thing is to assume he is the exception. Again, I think it's safe to presume that since most top recruits who go to these schools are receiving compensation, that it applies to him as well, but you could be right. Maybe he just likes powder blue. However, whether or not he is directly receiving the benefits of cheating, he is certainly indirectly receiving those benefits. The name UNC has been built on cheating. The strength of the team currently has been built on cheating. To the extent he has success at UNC, it will be influenced by and partially the result of cheating. And that's a disappointing choice. Could it come out, years hence, that the Gophers were cheating too, and just doing a poor job at it? Certainly. But we KNOW UNC is a cheating program, and choosing to be a part of it is sad.

No disagreement there. UNC has cheated for a long time, and even non-cheaters have benefited over the years from that cheating. It's a big leap, in my opinion, to assume everyone who chooses to go there is automatically a cheater, though. And, yes, I do subscribe to a perspective that I assume someone is honorable until proven otherwise. What school he chooses doesn't change that. I'm disappointed he chose a historically corrupt program over the local option, but his character shouldn't be soiled by us outside observers based on that alone.

I see the gophers at 8th and Wisconsin in 3rd at 247. And Wisconsin 3rd and gophers 11th on rivals. You probably said this already but where are you looking for rankings?
I'm on the 247 page, using the ranking of the quality of the 'cruits versus quantity. We're at 94.32, the BADgers are at 90.67, and IWOA is a distant last at 80.82. To me that's a much better metric.

Got it. You like your team's 3 star recruits better than my team's 4 star recruits. I don't agree with you on that one, but I get it, you need to defend your team.
No, i like their 4 stars as much as ours and i like the 3 stars they have. They are not my team. Simply a program i scouted for a long time ago and one i respect for how well they were built and how much success they have had.

I want to see this kid play first. Hell, Hurt was going to make us big 10 champs and be one and done. LMAO

This guy was ranked around 100. Is he a guaranteed player at NC? Maybe, maybe not!
Correct, how has the worked out for Hurt. Not a one and done either. Hurt looked very average at best in that Duke lineup. Question, if he would of played for the Gophers this past year would his personal development and playing time been a lot better?

Correct, how has the worked out for Hurt. Not a one and done either. Hurt looked very average at best in that Duke lineup. Question, if he would of played for the Gophers this past year would his personal development and playing time been a lot better?
Just purely opinion, but I say yes, in hindsight MN would have been a better landing spot for him. And I think next year isn't going to be much better. Built and I have a for fun bet where Built says he'll start every game for Duke next year, I'm saying he won't. Built also says Hurt will avg at least 14 ppg next year, and I'm thinking he won't. Guess it's what makes us fans, talking about the sport...

No, i like their 4 stars as much as ours and i like the 3 stars they have. They are not my team. Simply a program i scouted for a long time ago and one i respect for how well they were built and how much success they have had.
I could be totally imagining this but it seems wisconsin will get 3 star players or ones not highly ranked and turn into solid contributors. Could be wrong about that.

Just purely opinion, but I say yes, in hindsight MN would have been a better landing spot for him. And I think next year isn't going to be much better. Built and I have a for fun bet where Built says he'll start every game for Duke next year, I'm saying he won't. Built also says Hurt will avg at least 14 ppg next year, and I'm thinking he won't. Guess it's what makes us fans, talking about the sport...
I think this would have been a terrible landing spot for what he was looking for. Agree that the difference in opinion on these issues is what is interesting. Want to wager who wins more games ?

I could be totally imagining this but it seems wisconsin will get 3 star players or ones not highly ranked and turn into solid contributors. Could be wrong about that.
Look at their recruiting versus ours over 20 years and then look at the results ! Sickening.

Sure, I guess you can consider 9th place as being good. Certainly not great or elite, but "good" is an okay way of describing it.

Wisconsin does something that I think we are starting to do and they do it really well. They recruit guys that fit their systems and with a purpose. Carlson will do very well for them as will the Johny Davis and Bowman. They fit what Wisconsin does. The problems with the ranking systems is that they do a lot off of offers. It penalizes kids who commit early.

That being said I'm really excited about Mashburn as well and I like the pick up of Mitchell too. It'd be a coin flip for me which I'd take because I'm getting 3 good players who are pretty sure things in my eyes vs. 1 sure and 1 who could be the best of all but is still raw (Mitchell)

Not arguing any of that. I'm saying when I look at a class, I like the per person average over the whole because it can be skewed by having a lot of recruits. The formula is not great anyways as you and I have said numerous times. I know this class will be very good for Gard.

Not arguing any of that. I'm saying when I look at a class, I like the per person average over the whole because it can be skewed by having a lot of recruits. The formula is not great anyways as you and I have said numerous times. I know this class will be very good for Gard.
And it is certainly possible that our class will turn out better. I have been wrong before but i am betting on Gard for better evaluations and far better results on fitting pieces together and winning big. I am not looking at a 6th place finish and buying the trend is now up take. We need at least one 3rd place or better season in 8 years.

I'm not naive enough to think we will get every in state kid, but Pitino has failed for the most part on local kids he should have a leg up on. Like a previous post said, you look at pitino and go well maybe we aren't that great of a landing spot or maybe we have Nothing to offer. Then go look at the football recruiting and realize a coach who has it figured out will have far less problem getting recruits here. To me the success PJ has going should show everyone Pitino will never make it work here
While I won’t argue with PJ’s success as a recruiter, he has not been getting all the top ranked kids to stay home. His success has been because he has expanded our national base.

Reactions: MRJ

I’m embarrassed just reading some of these reactions. What’s scary is most of you (I assume) are adults. All because he didn’t go to the school you want him to? It’s not your life, it’s not your kid!

Stay away from recruiting, Hodger. It's good for the soul.

Top Bottom