All Things Justin Cobbs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not pleased with this season and the job that Tubby has done this year..that said, I appear to be in minority as I am not ready to give up on him..yet. But am closer than I have ever been.

This all said, I love how folks are re-writing history with Devoe. Am I the only that remembers that Tubby gave Devoe the keys to the car at the end of his sophmore year and Devoe played us into the NCAA but running and gunning. Devoe was given freedom. He had it pulled when he decided to smoke a lot of weed (yeah, I said it). So, please stop re-writing history. If Dre keeps it up, I'm guessing he will be given the keys next year. Time will tell. Cobbs transferred to a weak ass conference and would not put up those numbers in the BIG. Sure, he would be an asset on the gophers, no doubt. Tubby was the one who recognized his talent above other programs..give him some credit. Cobbs was a little impatient... *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# happens.

One thing is certain... hot seat starts in a week for Tubby. I think he gets another year to prove himself, while not pleasing a bunch of the Holer's, I predict that next year's team redeems Tubby. Everyone back, except for Sampson. Add Walker and a few minutes from one of the frosh. Plus a year of experience under the belt for Dre, Hollins, etc. Team could be sneaky good next year with Williams back, which he will be. I mean, we were in a lot of games this year. Yes, I had higher expectations and they were not met.. But taking a step back, we lost an all american candidate and competed with most teams, including the big boys. I agree 100% that this season a major dissappointment (thus far) and we should be further along at this point in the Tubby tenure, but next year could be interesting.. with or without Trevor. ... Okay, flame away!!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I am not pleased with this season and the job that Tubby has done this year..that said, I appear to be in minority as I am not ready to give up on him..yet. But am closer than I have ever been.

This all said, I love how folks are re-writing history with Devoe. Am I the only that remembers that Tubby gave Devoe the keys to the car at the end of his sophmore year and Devoe played us into the NCAA but running and gunning. Devoe was given freedom. He had it pulled when he decided to smoke a lot of weed (yeah, I said it). So, please stop re-writing history. If Dre keeps it up, I'm guessing he will be given the keys next year. Time will tell. Cobbs transferred to a weak ass conference and would not put up those numbers in the BIG. Sure, he would be an asset on the gophers, no doubt. Tubby was the one who recognized his talent above other programs..give him some credit. Cobbs was a little impatient... *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# happens.

One thing is certain... hot seat starts in a week for Tubby. I think he gets another year to prove himself, while not pleasing a bunch of the Holer's, I predict that next year's team redeems Tubby. Everyone back, except for Sampson. Add Walker and a few minutes from one of the frosh. Plus a year of experience under the belt for Dre, Hollins, etc. Team could be sneaky good next year with Williams back, which he will be. I mean, we were in a lot of games this year. Yes, I had higher expectations and they were not met.. But taking a step back, we lost an all american candidate and competed with most teams, including the big boys. I agree 100% that this season a major dissappointment (thus far) and we should be further along at this point in the Tubby tenure, but next year could be interesting.. with or without Trevor. ... Okay, flame away!!!!

You have a bad memory. Devoe indeed had the keys and took us to the NCAA tournament. Then we came back the next year and Nolen was starting over him. Of course Devoe smoked "a lot" of weed? How you know this I would like to know. This just in, college kids smoke weed and it isn't just Devoe that smoked weed on this team. When Devoe came back he was playing half the game. He wasn't even starting and he was the best player we had. Coming off the bench passing to a big man on the high low offense for a kid that can run and shoot like Devoe is a waste of his talents.

Finally, please stop with the caliber of the teams Cobbs and Joseph are on. On one hand you excuse Tubby for losing all of these talented recruits he had, on the other hand you denigrate them when they go somewhere that uses the talents they have. They are both terrific players no matter if they go to Cal, Oregon or NDSU.

They aren't on the team. Either is Royce. We have who we have.

+1

You have a bad memory. Devoe indeed had the keys and took us to the NCAA tournament. Then we came back the next year and Nolen was starting over him. Of course Devoe smoked "a lot" of weed? How you know this I would like to know. This just in, college kids smoke weed and it isn't just Devoe that smoked weed on this team. When Devoe came back he was playing half the game. He wasn't even starting and he was the best player we had. Coming off the bench passing to a big man on the high low offense for a kid that can run and shoot like Devoe is a waste of his talents.

Finally, please stop with the caliber of the teams Cobbs and Joseph are on. On one hand you excuse Tubby for losing all of these talented recruits he had, on the other hand you denigrate them when they go somewhere that uses the talents they have. They are both terrific players no matter if they go to Cal, Oregon or NDSU.

After having the keys and taking us into the NCAA tourney Devoe just didn't come back and play behind Nolen, etc. In fact the two were seldom active at the same time at the beginning of the year. Devoe sat out during two team suspensions for violating team rules. What do you suppose those were for? Nolen had his issues too before getting injured.

Would you quit making up things like you're an insider, and concentrate on graduating from high school?

Moving forward, who would you rather have? Dre or Cobbs?

Honestly, it's a close call. I am a big fan of Dre, and I think his ceiling is pretty darn high. But Cobbs is a KNOWN commodity who is a good basketball player, and he is only a SO. He is just 1 year ahead of Dre.

If next season, Dre averages 13 pts on 49% (46%3), with a 2.5/1 assist to TO ratio, I would be ecstatic. Justin Cobbs is already doing that as a SO.

Additionally, like other people have said, they play different positions. Cobbs is a natural PG and a player that our team could desperately lose.

Honestly, it's a close call. I am a big fan of Dre, and I think his ceiling is pretty darn high. But Cobbs is a KNOWN commodity who is a good basketball player, and he is only a SO. He is just 1 year ahead of Dre.

If next season, Dre averages 13 pts on 49% (46%3), with a 2.5/1 assist to TO ratio, I would be ecstatic. Justin Cobbs is already doing that as a SO.

Additionally, like other people have said, they play different positions. Cobbs is a natural PG and a player that our team could desperately lose.
Cobbs would have been a Junior here. Is is a RSo. because he redshirtted the year he sat out for transferring.

Cobbs would have been a Junior here. Is is a RSo. because he redshirtted the year he sat out for transferring.

Yeah, but who is to say that he wouldn't even be better with another year of experience.

But your point is valid, but I still say that if Dre Hollins puts up numbers in two years similar to Cobbs JR season, he'll be considered a success.

He may not have got his schollie, but I doubt he comes if Cobbs were here.

I would rather have Cobbs. He would have been here last year and been our PG when Nolen got hurt. He could have prevented our backslide and put is in the tournament (keep in mind we were in most of the games last year). Blake would have been able to stay at the 2, and Mav would have received fewer minutes. That would have been good experience for this year as well. His ceiling may not be as high as Dre's, but he could have prevented a down year last year and could have improved us this year as he would have PG experience and talent. The lack of a down year last year could help recruiting this year and next year, and the overall sentiment around the program would be improved.

Yeah, but who is to say that he wouldn't even be better with another year of experience.

But your point is valid, but I still say that if Dre Hollins puts up numbers in two years similar to Cobbs JR season, he'll be considered a success.
And I wasn't disagreeing you. This is how I see things playing out if Cobbs hadn't transferred:
So. year, backing up Nolen with Devoe splitting time at SG and PG
Jr. year (this year), Cobbs playing PG Devoe playing SG and Dre (I think we still bring him in) backing up the Junior Cobbs and possibly playing some SG.
Cobbs doesn't transfer we don't use a scholarship on Mav, so when Cobbs is a Junior he is the only PG (if Devoe is playing SG).
This is just my opinion though.

I would rather have Cobbs. He would have been here last year and been our PG when Nolen got hurt. He could have prevented our backslide and put is in the tournament (keep in mind we were in most of the games last year). Blake would have been able to stay at the 2, and Mav would have received fewer minutes. That would have been good experience for this year as well. His ceiling may not be as high as Dre's, but he could have prevented a down year last year and could have improved us this year as he would have PG experience and talent. The lack of a down year last year could help recruiting this year and next year, and the overall sentiment around the program would be improved.
Mav wouldn't have been recruited without Cobbs transferring, so this year we would have only had one PG, unless you count Devoe. So I still think Dre comes in if Cobbs stays.

And I wasn't disagreeing you. This is how I see things playing out if Cobbs hadn't transferred:
So. year, backing up Nolen with Devoe splitting time at SG and PG
Jr. year (this year), Cobbs playing PG Devoe playing SG and Dre (I think we still bring him in) backing up the Junior Cobbs and possibly playing some SG.
Cobbs doesn't transfer we don't use a scholarship on Mav, so when Cobbs is a Junior he is the only PG (if Devoe is playing SG).
This is just my opinion though.

Yep, that's exactly how I see it.

Cobbs transferring = Mav Scholarship.
Dre would have been the eventual replacement for Devoe.

“@GottliebShow: Justin Cobbs is actually the most important offensive player for Cal--Ball screen point guard--explosive,but turns it over too much”

“@GottliebShow: Justin Cobbs is actually the most important offensive player for Cal--Ball screen point guard--explosive,but turns it over too much”

That's an odd statement. He averages just 2 turnovers a game. Pretty good for a PG who plays 32 minutes a game. He led the PAC 12 in Asst/Turn

That's an odd statement. He averages just 2 turnovers a game. Pretty good for a PG who plays 32 minutes a game. He led the PAC 12 in Asst/Turn

That's too much ...

Kidding, not sure why he said that.

However, Cal getting dominated right now.

Cal is just god awful. The biggest thing against USF coming in is that THEY COULDN'T SCORE and hadn't beaten anyone. Not a good start for the Pac-12

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

The only thing uglier than Pac-12 basketball is Oregon's basketball court.

cobs

After struggling through the Viking game today, watched a little of the Cal College basketball game this evening. cobbs looked pretty good. 20 points, 5 assists, 7 rebounds. Granted it was against a pretty poor pacific team, but he looked very solid.

Not worth playing the 'what-if' game. Completely separate situation/competition. He plays for different team now. I am happy to have Welch and Ahanmisi.

Happy for Cobbs, he seems to be doing very well and always nice to see a former Gopher succeed.

That said, I'm more interested in the players wearing maroon and gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom