All Things Justin Cobbs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/B]

Tubby may be respected by the NBA but I have a feeling that Mike Montgomery and Dana Altman are as well and these two players have been able to succeed at another level under these coaches as well as staying out of trouble off the court(as has Royce for that matter). Maybe it is simply the case that these coaches are doing a better job at this point in their careers of getting the message across to these guys and earning the respect of the players as to what is expected and or tolerated in their programs which is why they are staying out of trouble. There just seems to be a disconnect of some sort between Tubby and several of the players.

It is also possible that these guys, Devoe & Royce, realize that they F'd up one huge opportunity and this is their last chance. If they screwed up again, they might not get another shot.

minngg said:
I jusrt said I have heard these things before. By the way, I only bring up my son when Tubby supporters start calling me Badger fan and act like children when someone doesn't like their favorite coach. Because I want to win badly and want a coach that can do it, I am not a Gopher fan? I have been on this board for years and never brought up my son. Of course, no idiot has called me a Badger fan either before now.
Badger fan! I bet your daughter is a surgeon too.

Devoe got his head screwed on straight

The combination of that, more minutes, and playing against weaker defenses is why is numbers are way up. To me, his FT% is very telling: 83% this year versus about 70% at the U. That means he has more focus.

HOWEVER, he would not have these numbers were Oregon playing in the B1G. No doubt in my mind.

The defense is much better in the big 10 than the Pac 12. Fact is it is easier to score against a bad defense than a good one.

I loved Devoe when he was here, he was one of my favorite players. But there is no room in my basketball heart for a guy who quit in the middle of the season regardless of the reason. Cobbs transferred at the end of the year so he can keep some respect, but I think Devoe was always the better player. Devoe is and always will be a quitter in my book. Be an adult. Take your suspension and leave at the end of the year. Unless your physical safety is in danger, be a man and tough it out. Same with Royce. Don't quit in the middle of a season. As much as devoe thinks his talent will now get him into the NBA, Teams won't just forget he quit in the middle of a season and left his teammates high and dry.

And regardless if it is true or Not the overall consensus is (and many announcers said this when he quit) "if you can't play for Tubby Smith, then it is your issue" the NBA isn't going to take a chance on a guy who lit up an awful conference and couldn't play for one of the most respected coaches in the country.

47% of Tubby's players at KY couldn't play for Tubby. They left. Announcers? Really? How about sportswriters? Have they ever had bad things to say about Tubby?

It is also possible that these guys, Devoe & Royce, realize that they F'd up one huge opportunity and this is their last chance. If they screwed up again, they might not get another shot.

F"in hilarious.

And what Gopher player would score or could score 30 points for Oregon? Could shoot 45% from three? Even with the terrible defenses in the Pac 12. We played USC, one of the worst Pac 12 teams here at home. We scored 55 points.

PavedWithGold said:

So Tubby couldn't get that message across to them then yet Altman and Hoiberg could apparently. Tubby is reminding me more and more each day of Gary Williams from Maryland. A previously successful coach who appeared to not be able to adapt to the players today and the world of AAU hoops and coaches.

So Tubby couldn't get that message across to them then yet Altman and Hoiberg could apparently. Tubby is reminding me more and more each day of Gary Williams from Maryland. A previously successful coach who appeared to not be able to adapt to the players today and the world of AAU hoops and coaches.
There was no way in HELL Royce was coming back to the U. It just wasn't going to happen. It wouldn't have been good for Royce and who knows if Maturi would have allowed it. Devoe broke team rules and was suspended, so he decided to leave. Maybe he realized it wasn't TUBBY's fault he was transferring, but HIS OWN?

There was no way in HELL Royce was coming back to the U. It just wasn't going to happen. It wouldn't have been good for Royce and who knows if Maturi would have allowed it. Devoe broke team rules and was suspended, so he decided to leave. Maybe he realized it wasn't TUBBY's fault he was transferring, but HIS OWN?

Or maybe not. Maybe it was Tubby's style of coaching and offense? Why speculate? He isn't here and we are losing. Bottom line.

Or maybe not. Maybe it was Tubby's style of coaching and offense? Why speculate? He isn't here and we are losing. Bottom line.
You're speculating that if he was here, we would be winning.

zambam said:

And my point is that those guys haven't been breaking team rules or getting into trouble with the law since leaving, so their new coaches have apparently been able to reach them where Tubby failed. Sadly Tubby was unable to reach Royce and Devoe after their initial run-ins and get them to follow the straight and narrow. I just question whether or not issues like this and a unusually high percentage of transfers might be an indication that Tubby is having difficulty relating to the current players of today and getting them to follow his leadership. I admit I don't know the answer but think it is at least worth discussion as a possibility.

And my point is that those guys haven't been breaking team rules or getting into trouble with the law since leaving, so their new coaches have apparently been able to reach them where Tubby failed. Sadly Tubby was unable to reach Royce and Devoe after their initial run-ins and get them to follow the straight and narrow. I just question whether or not issues like this and a unusually high percentage of transfers might be an indication that Tubby is having difficulty relating to the current players of today and getting them to follow his leadership. I admit I don't know the answer but think it is at least worth discussion as a possibility.
Is it not possible that they realized on their own that this was their last chance so they need to straighten up? I don't get what that has to do with Tubby.

Is it not possible that they realized on their own that this was their last chance so they need to straighten up? I don't get what that has to do with Tubby.

Yes, I can see that.

Amazing how many points you can rack up when you take most of the shots, which is what Devoe asked Tubby before he departed.

“@TomPenders: NCAA RULE-Failed drug test=3game suspension. Automatic. Usually what is going on when players sit out 3 or more games.Violation of TeamRules”

Well put!

Why do you people think former Gopher players hint(twitter) so much at the distaste in Tubby's system? All I see in the young players is their loss of confidence, as if Tubby breaks their confidence once they make one mistake. And even if they make a great play, that Tubby doesn't approve of, Tubby takes them out. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more defections this year. And let's be real on Tyus, no way he will come here... when he can play up tempo ball with the likes of Duke.

“At Minnesota, it was a little different. I don’t think any of the coaches had it in their mind that they were going to let me play the way I did in high school, which was being an aggressive scorer,” said Cobbs

Cobbs sat down and talked with coach Tubby Smith before committing, the guard said, to discuss style of offense.
“We talked about offense and different things, changing the offense a little bit to run a little bit and fit my game,” he said. “He agreed with me and said he’d try some things. But it didn’t end up … and I ended up transferring.”

I don't want to turn this into an anti-Tubby post, but I think the bolded parts feed into why this team is so frustrating. We have a few aggressive scorers, but it seems like that activity is frowned-upon. Additionally, the seeming inability to change the offensive scheme to fit the players is aggrivating.

When Iverson was showing flashes, and he was playing at the same time as Sampson and they got the high/low game going was really the only time that Sampson has ever been appropriately used. Additonally, one can only imagine how good Williams could look in a faster paced offense.

That being said, I never really thought Cobbs would "pan out". I'm glad to see him succeeding, however.

As I have said. The same thing happened with Devoe. If you remember before this season Tubby said something like "they might kick us out of the Big Ten because we are going to run and run". This is what he tells recruits. They get in the game and take a fast break 3 pt shot and he pulls them. Thisis the reputation Tubby has in the basketball community here and why he won't get Vaughn and Jones. It is no big secret.

I understand his frustration, but how many minutes does a 3* freshman point guard expect on a decent Big Ten team? Realistically he was going to back up Nolen and Joseph. I also didn't get the impression that he was too into playing serious defense, which works a lot better where he's at now.

Glad it's working out for him on a personal level, however.

no criticism of our coach please, he is the best!!! We should sign to a 10 year extension with bonuses if places in the top 5 of the big ten.

First off, Cobbs has delusions of self grandeur. He should be glad he transferred to one of the worst conferences in the country where they don't play any defense. He would not have been scoring as much as he has if he were on ANY team in the B1G.

Basically Cobbs said... "Tubby lied to recruit me. That's why I left."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom