All Things Justin Cobbs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

@Al_Nolen: royce ballin j cobbs ballin devoe ballin s**t maybe we should have transferred to huh @VIPJohnson34? lol

@VIPJohnson34: Man I wonder if I transferred I would have killed ummm..nevermind I enjoyed my time at the U

ouch.

Wow...that's pretty sad to hear that from them

COBBS:
Min 38
FG 13-19
3pt 1-2
PTS 28
ASST 8
TO 0
STL 4

JOSEPH:
Min 39
FG 10-17
3pt 4-9
PTS 33
ASST 2
TO 3

COBBS:
Min 38
FG 13-19
3pt 1-2
PTS 28
ASST 8
TO 0
STL 4

JOSEPH:
Min 39
FG 10-17
3pt 4-9
PTS 33
ASST 2
TO 3

Wow, Cobbs with 19 field goals AND 8 assists AND 0 turnovers, pretty impressive. If only Tubby could recruit a pg like that...

Joseph's 2 assists sounds about par for the course.

I'm stunned that a senior Jospeh and a junior Cobbs would produce such numbers in a conference as elite as the Pac-12...../sarcasm

No seriously though, cut those numbers in half and you'd have what they'd probably produce in the B1G. Still good numbers, and I think they would have done that here if they had stuck around. People say Tubby won't play guys who are "strong-willed" so to speak, but if you are an upperclassman, AND you produce, you WILL play, no question about it.

So I have no doubt those two would have played pivotal roles in our current product if they were here right now. Along with Royce if he was still here in his junior year.

If they transferred to the Horizon League no one would have cared, even though the competition would have been better.

I love reading the Tubby lovers spin this. Oh, it is the Pac 12. Oh, this just means Tubby is a good recruiter. Pathetic. Like there are no good players outside of two or three conferences. Both of these players left because their talents were stifled by Tubby's stale offense.

The Tubby supporters want to say if we had these trasnfers Tubby would be doing so mych better. Yet, when they perform, they denegrate them and the conference they play in. Sad.

I heard the same crap when Wolters was doing his thing at SDSU. Well, it is just SDSU. Well look at the RPI. Who's is higher MN or SDSU? They just destroyed NDSU and Wolters had 30 in 28 mins.

Wow, Cobbs with 19 field goals AND 8 assists AND 0 turnovers, pretty impressive. If only Tubby could recruit a pg like that...

Joseph's 2 assists sounds about par for the course.
That's because he isn't a pg. He is a shotting guard. He is shooting 47% from the field and 45% from 3 pts. He is averaging 3 assists a game. He is averaging 16+ points per game on just over 12 shots per game. Hardly a ball hog like he was called here. He is averaging exactly the same number of assists per game as Julian Welch.

@Al_Nolen: royce ballin j cobbs ballin devoe ballin s**t maybe we should have transferred to huh @VIPJohnson34? lol

@VIPJohnson34: Man I wonder if I transferred I would have killed ummm..nevermind I enjoyed my time at the U

ouch.
Where/what is this huh to which he possibly should have transferred?

I love reading the Tubby lovers spin this. Oh, it is the Pac 12. Oh, this just means Tubby is a good recruiter. Pathetic. Like there are no good players outside of two or three conferences. Both of these players left because their talents were stifled by Tubby's stale offense.

The Tubby supporters want to say if we had these trasnfers Tubby would be doing so mych better. Yet, when they perform, they denegrate them and the conference they play in. Sad.

I heard the same crap when Wolters was doing his thing at SDSU. Well, it is just SDSU. Well look at the RPI. Who's is higher MN or SDSU? They just destroyed NDSU and Wolters had 30 in 28 mins.

Please point me to the statements where people said they weren't good players. Thank you.

That's because he isn't a pg. He is a shotting guard. He is shooting 47% from the field and 45% from 3 pts. He is averaging 3 assists a game. He is averaging 16+ points per game on just over 12 shots per game. Hardly a ball hog like he was called here. He is averaging exactly the same number of assists per game as Julian Welch.

He was averaging 11 and 3.5 in 25 minutes last season on 10 shots a game shooting 40% before he quit. 25 minutes isn't even that bad, but his time would have increased dramatically had he stayed considering Nolen's injury. He would have had almost a completely free reign to control the ball cause he would have been the only option.

And you honestly don't think this season he could have been at least a 14 pt/3 assist guy here in Minnesota playing in a real conference, and being a pivotal senior guard for a team that badly needed his ability? Let's face it, the guy shot terribly last year, and that's why he struggled. Tubby's system had nothing to do with it, he got plenty of looks, he just didn't hit them. If he wants to blame Tubby's coaching style on him not being able to hit open jump shots, then whatever. But let's not act like the offense or Tubby didn't allow him the opportunity to get buckets.

minngg said:

Tubby Hater.

minngg said:
Joke huh? Not the first time I have heard talk like that.

Maybe you could ask your med student son you love to bring up what "lol" means?

Please point me to the statements where people said they weren't good players. Thank you.

It's just the PAC-12. If they would have transferred to the Horizon League they would have played against better talent. There were many people on here that demeaned Joseph as a cancer and we were better off without them. There were others that said Cobbs transferred because he knew he wasn't going to play much here. Didn't you read these comments?

Maybe you could ask your med student son you love to bring up what "lol" means?

I jusrt said I have heard these things before. By the way, I only bring up my son when Tubby supporters start calling me Badger fan and act like children when someone doesn't like their favorite coach. Because I want to win badly and want a coach that can do it, I am not a Gopher fan? I have been on this board for years and never brought up my son. Of course, no idiot has called me a Badger fan either before now.

He was averaging 11 and 3.5 in 25 minutes last season on 10 shots a game shooting 40% before he quit. 25 minutes isn't even that bad, but his time would have increased dramatically had he stayed considering Nolen's injury. He would have had almost a completely free reign to control the ball cause he would have been the only option.

And you honestly don't think this season he could have been at least a 14 pt/3 assist guy here in Minnesota playing in a real conference, and being a pivotal senior guard for a team that badly needed his ability? Let's face it, the guy shot terribly last year, and that's why he struggled. Tubby's system had nothing to do with it, he got plenty of looks, he just didn't hit them. If he wants to blame Tubby's coaching style on him not being able to hit open jump shots, then whatever. But let's not act like the offense or Tubby didn't allow him the opportunity to get buckets.

Yep, he just learned to shoot this last year.

minngg said:
Yep, he just learned to shoot this last year.

The defense is much better in the big 10 than the Pac 12. Fact is it is easier to score against a bad defense than a good one.

I loved Devoe when he was here, he was one of my favorite players. But there is no room in my basketball heart for a guy who quit in the middle of the season regardless of the reason. Cobbs transferred at the end of the year so he can keep some respect, but I think Devoe was always the better player. Devoe is and always will be a quitter in my book. Be an adult. Take your suspension and leave at the end of the year. Unless your physical safety is in danger, be a man and tough it out. Same with Royce. Don't quit in the middle of a season. As much as devoe thinks his talent will now get him into the NBA, Teams won't just forget he quit in the middle of a season and left his teammates high and dry.

And regardless if it is true or Not the overall consensus is (and many announcers said this when he quit) "if you can't play for Tubby Smith, then it is your issue" the NBA isn't going to take a chance on a guy who lit up an awful conference and couldn't play for one of the most respected coaches in the country.

And regardless if it is true or Not the overall consensus is (and many announcers said this when he quit) "if you can't play for Tubby Smith, then it is your issue" the NBA isn't going to take a chance on a guy who lit up an awful conference and couldn't play for one of the most respected coaches in the country.

I forgot about that. Really says a lot about what Tubby's peers think of him.

It's just the PAC-12. If they would have transferred to the Horizon League they would have played against better talent. There were many people on here that demeaned Joseph as a cancer and we were better off without them. There were others that said Cobbs transferred because he knew he wasn't going to play much here. Didn't you read these comments?

Nothing in those comments say there isn't any good players in the PAC-12.

I'm stunned that a senior Jospeh and a junior Cobbs would produce such numbers in a conference as elite as the Pac-12...../sarcasm

No seriously though, cut those numbers in half and you'd have what they'd probably produce in the B1G. Still good numbers, and I think they would have done that here if they had stuck around. People say Tubby won't play guys who are "strong-willed" so to speak, but if you are an upperclassman, AND you produce, you WILL play, no question about it.

So I have no doubt those two would have played pivotal roles in our current product if they were here right now. Along with Royce if he was still here in his junior year.

Lol. Cut those numbers in half!! PAC 12 is down but its not a Mid Major. Besides, I would take half those numbers anyway!

Correct, mid-majors gets multiple bids. It is a low major.

Nope. It's a high major conference with the most historic basketball program in the country. The Pac 12 is having a seriously down couple years but will bounce back and someday send 4-6 teams every season (you can't say that about low and mid majors). Arizona, Washington, UCLA, Stanford, California and Oregon all boast excellent or very good basketball traditions and won't stay down for too long. But all that is beside the point. Cobbs and Joseph are superior to the talent Minnesota has on its roster right now. Tubby did a great job of convincing these guys to come, but a terrible job of retaining them. He has to take some blame for losing two all-conference type players.

Lol. Cut those numbers in half!! PAC 12 is down but its not a Mid Major. Besides, I would take half those numbers anyway!

And I would too, as I pretty much said it in the post. I've been on record saying I wish we still had those two, they would be key players right now, two upperclassmen guards, they probably would have been our starting backcourt. But the offensive production they're putting up would not happen in the B1G, that's just reality. The brand of basketball played in that league is going to inflate most of the offensive stats you see from those guys. But I'd still take them.

86-83 Cali final. Joseph with 33, Cobbs with 28. Joseph missed a 35 footer as time expired to tie after hitting one from almost the same spot the previous possession.

Looks like Barrero will have plenty to talk about tomorrow.....

Bump is all over this right now!

The defense is much better in the big 10 than the Pac 12. Fact is it is easier to score against a bad defense than a good one.

This may be true this year but it isn't as if it is ten times better in the Big 10 versus the Pac 12

Tubby may be respected by the NBA but I have a feeling that Mike Montgomery and Dana Altman are as well and these two players have been able to succeed at another level under these coaches as well as staying out of trouble off the court(as has Royce for that matter). Maybe it is simply the case that these coaches are doing a better job at this point in their careers of getting the message across to these guys and earning the respect of the players as to what is expected and or tolerated in their programs which is why they are staying out of trouble. There just seems to be a disconnect of some sort between Tubby and several of the players.

[/B]

Tubby may be respected by the NBA but I have a feeling that Mike Montgomery and Dana Altman are as well and these two players have been able to succeed at another level under these coaches as well as staying out of trouble off the court(as has Royce for that matter). Maybe it is simply the case that these coaches are doing a better job at this point in their careers of getting the message across to these guys and earning the respect of the players as to what is expected and or tolerated in their programs which is why they are staying out of trouble. There just seems to be a disconnect of some sort between Tubby and several of the players.

That certainly could be part of it. Part of it for these guys could be that getting a "fresh start" helped them out a lot too. Hard to really know though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom