All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

Right now, gun to my head, I predict Jarvis goes elsewhere. He seems to have that mindset too many local kids have that they want to get away. I suspect we get a high 3-star or 4-star PG from the northeast. I think we get Illikainen though.

It wasn't that long ago that some Gopher fans thought Jarvis was already in the maroon and gold boat. Lots of twists and turns to go. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he does the right thing and stays home, though.

Historically, the gophers have done very well with outstate kids. Especially now that I don't see Alex becomming a McDonald's all american and getting blue blood offers. I would love to get alex with his inside out game at the 4 and he would likely play all four years and be such a quality player.

Right now, gun to my head, I predict Jarvis goes elsewhere. He seems to have that mindset too many local kids have that they want to get away. I suspect we get a high 3-star or 4-star PG from the northeast. I think we get Illikainen though.

the problem as always is that a kid like Jarvis has gone to HS 15 mns from Williams arena and right on the edge of Dinkytown. Its just hard when staying home means almost literally staying home. Some kids really like that, others want to get away.

the problem as always is that a kid like Jarvis has gone to HS 15 mns from Williams arena and right on the edge of Dinkytown. Its just hard when staying home means almost literally staying home. Some kids really like that, others want to get away.

Yep and it doesn't help Reid and his Pulley mentor (Tyus) got about as far away as possible from the cities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yep and it doesn't help Reid and his Pulley mentor (Tyus) got about as far away as possible from the cities.

Yeah, they both went to the coasts. I agree with you. As of right now I'd bet the big man will come to Minnesota, but the Gophers will miss out on Johnson.

And Reid grew up walking distance from the U. Does familiarity breed contempt...or boredom? So many of these kids decide Minnesota IS a cool place, but only once they've left and come back. For whatever reason, the culture has developed among local HS athletes that the U of M is uncool and staying on the farm is for George Bailey. Even at our local suburban school, where we have a baseball player who WILL play in the majors someday. His dad competed at the U, so naturally he's going to...Arkansas. Sigh.

eh that doesn't matter I think. Kids go where they want. Plenty of Pulley kids (Williams, White, Coleman most recently) have come to the U. Williams was Vaughn's cousin and he still left. Reid's brother is at Harvard which is an up and coming program and I think Reid could've gotten in there, yet he went to the other side of the country to Stanford, a dwindling program with a coach on the hot seat in a largely ignored conference.

And Reid grew up walking distance from the U. Does familiarity breed contempt...or boredom? So many of these kids decide Minnesota IS a cool place, but only once they've left and come back. For whatever reason, the culture has developed among local HS athletes that the U of M is uncool and staying on the farm is for George Bailey. Even at our local suburban school, where we have a baseball player who WILL play in the majors someday. His dad competed at the U, so naturally he's going to...Arkansas. Sigh.

Based on the Reid example, there just may be something in the DLS water supply that makes you a complete tool. If Jarvis conducts himself in a similar manner, well ... Occam's razor and all that.

If they grew up going to the barn and the place was rocking with fun teams, it would likely be a better draw. As is, these kids went through middle and high school with some real lackluster efforts from the maroon and gold.

Pitino has to get the facilities built and then make them a draw. I feel like the Barn took a step in the right direction last year and he needs to make that a long term thing.

For what it's worth, I'm going to get crucified for this, I'm not a Jarvis fan. I have only watched his highlight reel's and his game doesn't do what some of these other recruits we are after do for me. Now, with that said, I like the local angle and I like that he would build a culture of staying home, but I'm just not a huge fan of his game. To me, we need, and I've said this before, "full tilt" type players. Rim attackers, guys that are like Deandre but bigger. Think Peyton Siva, Russ Smith even Keith Appling (even though I would say Jarvis is more like Appling than the other two).

From what I've read, and saw, Jarvis is more controlled and slow it down. Almost a Wisconsin style PG. We run a lot of pick n roll, and I know he executes that well, but I'm just not seeing the total fit.

Now I'll repeat, I could be all wet on this one, as I've never personally seen him, and all of this is coming from a couple articles and some highlight film.

To me, we need, and I've said this before, "full tilt" type players. Rim attackers, guys that are like Deandre but bigger. Think Peyton Siva, Russ Smith even Keith Appling (even though I would say Jarvis is more like Appling than the other two).

From what I've read, and saw, Jarvis is more controlled and slow it down. Almost a Wisconsin style PG. We run a lot of pick n roll, and I know he executes that well, but I'm just not seeing the total fit.

Now I'll repeat, I could be all wet on this one, as I've never personally seen him, and all of this is coming from a couple articles and some highlight film.

His high school coaches's style is to slow it down, and run a half court style. Probably need to see a lot of him in some of the less structured summer ball clubs, and make a side by side comparison with high school play to assess whether this is a complete explanation or if it also governs his strengths as a player.

Sarcasm, I assume? You didn't have to lay it on so thick, though.

No. Before the season started he was definitely on the hot seat. The Pac10 was an afterthought conference for the most part. Arizona was great but nobody else was considered much of a threat to do anything. Some of that is East Coast bias but it was definitely true. Of all the schools Reid was seriously considering, Stanford was in the least publicized conference and was the least publicized team

After 3 AAU games Jarvis 7ppg, fg% under 30%, more turnovers than assists. looks like Iowa st or Mn for JJ.

My point was clearly about the state of the program as Travis made his decision and what they were for the majority of time he was being recruited. Obviously they exceeded expectations this year and the coach has saved his job but all of those were unknowns for most of the year. So the overall point was that Travis, a MCD All American with options all over the place chose a program that didn't have much going for it at the time compared to the other schools recruiting him because that's where he wanted to be. I don't care enough about Stanford to get into some silly debate about just how good or bad they were or will be

If coaches like Izzo and Bo Ryan notice the talent and offer then we should obviously consider jarvis a must have.

My point was clearly about the state of the program as Travis made his decision and what they were for the majority of time he was being recruited. Obviously they exceeded expectations this year and the coach has saved his job but all of those were unknowns for most of the year. So the overall point was that Travis, a MCD All American with options all over the place chose a program that didn't have much going for it at the time compared to the other schools recruiting him because that's where he wanted to be. I don't care enough about Stanford to get into some silly debate about just how good or bad they were or will be

Oleboy, I caught that after I posted, I reread your post after posting mine. Should have read it twice before posting. Looks like you posted during my edit.

After 3 AAU games Jarvis 7ppg, fg% under 30%, more turnovers than assists. looks like Iowa st or Mn for JJ.

There are a lot of highly ranked players in the EYBL who don't have overly impressive numbers. You're recruited more on your potential than production. Tom Izzo wouldn't have offered if he cared solely on stats.

If they grew up going to the barn and the place was rocking with fun teams, it would likely be a better draw. As is, these kids went through middle and high school with some real lackluster efforts from the maroon and gold.

Pitino has to get the facilities built and then make them a draw. I feel like the Barn took a step in the right direction last year and he needs to make that a long term thing.

For what it's worth, I'm going to get crucified for this, I'm not a Jarvis fan. I have only watched his highlight reel's and his game doesn't do what some of these other recruits we are after do for me. Now, with that said, I like the local angle and I like that he would build a culture of staying home, but I'm just not a huge fan of his game. To me, we need, and I've said this before, "full tilt" type players. Rim attackers, guys that are like Deandre but bigger. Think Peyton Siva, Russ Smith even Keith Appling (even though I would say Jarvis is more like Appling than the other two).

Jarvis would fit extremely well. He thrives in transition and is great with pick and roll. Perfect fit.

Jarvis would fit extremely well. He thrives in transition and is great with pick and roll. Perfect fit.

Agreed. He'd be a great fit for what the Gophers are trying to do! He can push the break at ease and is a good tempo setter, but I'd like to see him improve his shooting (I'm not sure it's competent enough right now) and also become more consistent from game to game. Bottom line, he's a big time recruit who can potentially solidify a college program, hopefully here with the Gophers!

FWIW Sparty is also in on Eric Davis, PG from Michigan, he's rated higher than Jarvis and Sparty has all his crystal ball predictions, guessing Jarvis is a back up plan for them, they're also in on Jalen Brunson, along with Michigan and Illinois

per Sid:

• DeLaSalle standout point guard Jarvis Johnson received a scholarship offer from Michigan State this week. He also has offers from the Gophers, Wisconsin, Iowa State and UCLA, among other schools. Coach Tom Izzo — who on Wednesday told ESPN he was staying with the Spartans despite interest from NBA teams, including the Wolves — has a connection with DeLaSalle, having recruited Alan Anderson from the school in 2000.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/257599271.html?page=2&c=y

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Jarvis Johnson taking more of a lead role this AAU season

Currently, Johnson -- who is ranked 85th nationally according to rivals.com -- said the schools that are going after him the hardest right now include Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa State, Kansas and Marquette.

"I'm really just taking my time, communicating with coaches," Johnson said, noting that he's thought plenty about playing in the Big Ten. "I used to go to Big Ten games a lot, being from Minnesota. Playing in the Big Ten I'm sure would be fun."

Pitino said he talks with Gophers coach Richard Pitino and assistant Ben Johnson -- a DeLaSalle alum -- regularly. Last year, Johnson went to "three or four" Minnesota home games, and has followed the team pretty closely.

Johnson said he hopes to schedule some official visits this summer, but he doesn't have any plans yet, other than saying he wanted to unofficially tour Michigan State. There is no timeline for cutting down his list, he said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/258141281.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Jarvis Johnson taking more of a lead role this AAU season

Currently, Johnson -- who is ranked 85th nationally according to rivals.com -- said the schools that are going after him the hardest right now include Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa State, Kansas and Marquette.

"I'm really just taking my time, communicating with coaches," Johnson said, noting that he's thought plenty about playing in the Big Ten. "I used to go to Big Ten games a lot, being from Minnesota. Playing in the Big Ten I'm sure would be fun."

Pitino said he talks with Gophers coach Richard Pitino and assistant Ben Johnson -- a DeLaSalle alum -- regularly. Last year, Johnson went to "three or four" Minnesota home games, and has followed the team pretty closely.

Johnson said he hopes to schedule some official visits this summer, but he doesn't have any plans yet, other than saying he wanted to unofficially tour Michigan State. There is no timeline for cutting down his list, he said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/258141281.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Looks like Amelia still doesn't proofread her work.

per Shama:

Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino has been on the job for about 14 months and has yet to gain a recruiting commitment from a big name Minnesota high school recruit, but that’s likely to change with his 2015 class. Look for top 100 recruits Jarvis Johnson from DeLaSalle and Alex Illikainen from Grand Rapids to listen hard to Pitino, with either or both likely to become Gophers. Pitino probably realizes the chances of chasing Big Ten titles without one or two star contributors from Minnesota high schools are minimal.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers basketball: Top Minnesota recruits wonder, 'What if ...'

Jarvis Johnson and Sacar Anim, teammates at DeLaSalle High School, started hearing the buzz a year ago: Grand Rapids' Alex Illikainen and Hopkins' Amir Coffey were thinking about joining them to form Minnesota's version of a summer league dream team.

Could it be a taste of what's to come for the maroon and gold?

"We joke about that all of the time," Johnson said. "We know it would be cool playing at home in front of family."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers basketball: Top Minnesota recruits wonder, 'What if ...'

Jarvis Johnson and Sacar Anim, teammates at DeLaSalle High School, started hearing the buzz a year ago: Grand Rapids' Alex Illikainen and Hopkins' Amir Coffey were thinking about joining them to form Minnesota's version of a summer league dream team.

Could it be a taste of what's to come for the maroon and gold?

"We joke about that all of the time," Johnson said. "We know it would be cool playing at home in front of family."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Obviously there are some very talented players outside of MN that the Gophers are recruiting. And it would be great to have some of them. But if Pitino got Alex, Jarvis, Sacar and Manyang to commit for 2015, it would be excellent. Then Amir and Reed in 2016.... Not likely, but exciting to think about.

Per Matt Jessen-Howard:

- Jarvis and I talked about Michigan State. He made it sound like they’re making him a priority

- Jarvis Johnson didn’t play much at all against the New York Lightning. On the bench, his body language signaled that something was certainly wrong. In the eleven minutes that he did play, he turned the ball over four times and didn’t record an assist. Jarvis played a little bit better and looked more comfortable against Baltimore Elite. He made some nice plays near the hoop today, and finished well with both hands.

http://go4report.com/post-eybl-dinkytown-dirt-eybl-recap/

Top Bottom