All Things Ja'Quan Newton and Isaiah Whitehead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at rosters and recruiting classes, it looks like the Gophers and USC would have the most opportunity for playing time and impact right away if they decided to do a package to a school. Miami already has a 4* SG signed for 2014, UCLA has a couple SG's from last year's class, but Syracuse could go either way depending on who stays/leaves after this year. USC is wide open. They could combine a 3 guard lineup with Dre if he stays after this year.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 2m
Ja'Quan Newton said he's hearing from 5 the most: Minnesota, USC, Cincy, Nova, and Miami

Love our chances if this were to be his top 5.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ja'Quan Newton said he's hearing from 5 the most: Minnesota, USC, Cincy, Nova, and Miami</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/360766582236004353">July 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Love our chances if this were to be his top 5.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ja'Quan Newton said he's hearing from 5 the most: Minnesota, USC, Cincy, Nova, and Miami</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/360766582236004353">July 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

Ditto. It' us and Nova then.

Ditto. It' us and Nova then.

Probably Nova if him and Whitehead decide not to play together. If they do and we get them on campus to visit together, I think they're Gophers.

I wish they could/would just commit already! The anticipation is killing me!!

The general speculation is "they" "they" "they". I realize this is the Newton/Whitehead thread, but they haven't offered anything more tangible than "we're thinking about it" since their original Twitter announcement. It appears to me they're not connecting their recruitments to each other and I get the impression that one will commit on their own accord and try and persuade the other to come join him. Either way, if this ends up being Newton's top 5, I like our chances.

You post a lot of tweets, you should learn how to embed them, or at least summarize what they say so people don't have to click on links. To embed go to the tweet, click on more, click embed, copy/paste into a post on GH.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Whitehead is no longer considering Louisville and wants to visit Syracuse, Arizona & UCLA, per <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX">@EvanDanielsFOX</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Stjbb&src=hash">#Stjbb</a>, Miami, Minny</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/361563348585816064">July 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

Not sure if that tweet is good or bad. Makes it sound like it's essentially down to Cuse, Zona, and UCLA. He only gets 5 officials and St Johns Miami and Minny are randomly thrown in at the end. Maybe Rick said play for Richard before he bailed out...

I think Syracuse is "interested" in Newton as well, so I wouldn't count the out of the potential package.

Syracuse wants Kaleb Joseph and will probably get him. But if Newton wanted that scholarship, they'd probably take him now to get things finalized and make it more likely that they'd be able to reel in Whitehead.

You post a lot of tweets, you should learn how to embed them, or at least summarize what they say so people don't have to click on links. To embed go to the tweet, click on more, click embed, copy/paste into a post on GH.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Whitehead is no longer considering Louisville and wants to visit Syracuse, Arizona & UCLA, per <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX">@EvanDanielsFOX</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Stjbb&src=hash">#Stjbb</a>, Miami, Minny</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/361563348585816064">July 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

Thanks I was wondering how to do that

I'll say it again, if Newton and Whitehead decide to play together I think they'll come here. If not, I think they go elsewhere. We're still the only school they've mentioned visiting together.

I honestly think Newton will be a Gopher even if Whitehead isn't planning on being one. If Whitehead decides to tag along with Newton here if Newton commits, that'd be ideal though.

According to an ESPN Insider article by Dave Telep, Ja'Quan Newton cut his list to 6: UCLA, Oregon, Minnesota, Syracuse, Miami and Texas A&M. It goes on to say that Nova is an obvious omission, but after they were cut after ESPN100 PG Phil Booth committed to Jay Wright. The only coach mentioned was Pitino, with Newton saying he noticed him at every game in July. BUT that Miami, Syracuse, UCLA and Oregon will receive official visits.

According to an ESPN Insider article by Dave Telep, Ja'Quan Newton cut his list to 6: UCLA, Oregon, Minnesota, Syracuse, Miami and Texas A&M. It goes on to say that Nova is an obvious omission, but after they were cut after ESPN100 PG Phil Booth committed to Jay Wright. The only coach mentioned was Pitino, with Newton saying he noticed him at every game in July. BUT that Miami, Syracuse, UCLA and Oregon will receive official visits.

Did he say Minnesota will get a visit?

So Minnesota WILL NOT receive an official visit?

So Minnesota WILL NOT receive an official visit?

He gets 5, so maybe he's still deciding on who gets the 5th. It could depend on whether Whitehead wants to visit here or not. They said earlier they might visit together.

I love how people are making a huge deal about Dave Telep's insider article when Newton himself has said he has no favorites other than his new list of 6. Also, did everyone just ignore Zagoria's article that said Newton will not decide on official visits until he has in-house visits with all 6 teams?

I love how people are making a huge deal about Dave Telep's insider article when Newton himself has said he has no favorites other than his new list of 6. Also, did everyone just ignore Zagoria's article that said Newton will not decide on official visits until he has in-house visits with all 6 teams?

I noticed that too, seems to be some conflicting reports. I like where we stand and I do think we'll get a visit.

I noticed that too, seems to be some conflicting reports. I like where we stand and I do think we'll get a visit.

Whenever there are conflicting reports, ESPN is one resource I tend not to trust based on history. I don't feel like recruiting analysts put in the do-diligence to get great information that Rivals, Adam Zagoria, NBCSports, and even maybe 247 do. And they have a track record of leaving out the Gophers and they always seem to be putting down or forgetting the program. I trust Zagoria a lot more.

Whenever there are conflicting reports, ESPN is one resource I tend not to trust based on history. I don't feel like recruiting analysts put in the do-diligence to get great information that Rivals, Adam Zagoria, NBCSports, and even maybe 247 do. And they have a track record of leaving out the Gophers and they always seem to be putting down or forgetting the program. I trust Zagoria a lot more.

Zagoria seems like the go-to guy for Northeast recruiting. I have a feeling we'll be following a lot of his reports under Pitino.

Zagoria seems like the go-to guy for Northeast recruiting. I have a feeling we'll be following a lot of his reports under Pitino.

Yep, definitely. I feel the same way! Hopefully the in home visit goes well, and I have a hunch it will.

Jerry Meyer just changed his prediction for whitehead to Cuse, not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom