All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

I done got got by D-Backs/30 SB's too--IMO, it was a category of sadism by the Grid proprietors. I took a stab with Steve Finley but it wasn't to be. Surprised to see Paul Goldschmidt among the 7(!) D-Backs who have eclipsed the mark of 30 SB's.
For your Rangers today, I did not go with my guy Dan Smith. Went with the SS who was later a Twins All Star (.05%).

Twins Alert on the Grid with Nationals / MVP and CF (1 game)

Went with:

- Married a Women's Ice Hockey Silver Medalist (6%)
- 18 Time AL All Star (9%)
- Dr Strangeglove (0.1%)

Twins Alert on the Grid with Nationals / MVP and CF (1 game)

Went with:

- Married a Women's Ice Hockey Silver Medalist (6%)
- 18 Time AL All Star (9%)
- Dr Strangeglove (0.1%)
A trifecta today-Twins, T-Wolves, and Vikings.

For the Twins, I went with:
Pete Mackanin (.3%), an early, inexplicable favorite of my Twins fandom

The first Twins MVP (10%)

Had the unenviable task of following Puckett in CF (.3%)

Looking at the A's/30 Save category, rather interesting to discover Rollie Fingers never accomplished that feat in Oakland.

Former Twin Grant Balfour did. He saved 38 in his 2013 All Star season for the Athletics. Go figure.

With the Brewers, the other franchise he is known for as their stopper, Fingers also never got to the 30 save plateau. Didn't keep Rollie out of Cooperstown though. Also he did get there with the Padres, twice.

Last edited:

30+ Saves is one of my least favorite "special" categories. As evidenced by Fingers, the really good/great closers from the '70s/80s often didn't reach 30 saves--Goose Gossage, another HOF'er, only hit the mark twice and even in Willie Hernandez's Cy Young/MVP season he only attained 32 saves. (fun fact though--Hernandez pitched 140 innings that season, which Blake Snell has only exceeded in two MLB seasons w/180 innings each year).

I was able to get through the category unscathed, but all three of my choices were between 12-17%, which really messed up my rarity score.

I've professed my crush for the Rangers as my non-Twins IG team before, but the Angels have made inroads over the time, particularly in relation to the shared history of Twins-Angels. It's pretty incredible--3 HOF'ers (Blyleven, Carew, and Winfield), some all-time Twins (Gaetti, Brunansky, Torii Hunter, LaTroy Hawkins), many All-Stars (Doug Corbett, Dave Engle, Ervin Santana, Miguel Sano), the one-time record holder for HR's hit by a rookie (Jimmie Hall), a future star whose life was tragically cut short (Lyman Bostock) the Twins record holder for longest hitting streak (Ken Landreaux), and on the Angels side, a MVP (Don Baylor) and 2 Cy Young winners (Dean Chance and Bartolo Colon).

If I put together a Starting 9, plus a rotation, here's what it'd look like:
C Wynegar/Brian Harper platoon
1B Sano w/Vic Power as a defensive replacement
2B Carew
SS Andrelton Simmons (hope we get the Angels version)
3B Gaetti
LF Brunansky/Bostock platoon
CF Hunter
RF Hall and Landreaux platoon
DH Chili Davis/Don Baylor
PH Don Mincher

Rotation
Blyleven
Chance
Colon
Ervin Santana
Geoff Zahn/Dave Goltz

Quite a bit of talent flowing between the two franchises.

30+ Saves is one of my least favorite "special" categories. As evidenced by Fingers, the really good/great closers from the '70s/80s often didn't reach 30 saves--Goose Gossage, another HOF'er, only hit the mark twice and even in Willie Hernandez's Cy Young/MVP season he only attained 32 saves. (fun fact though--Hernandez pitched 140 innings that season, which Blake Snell has only exceeded in two MLB seasons w/180 innings each year).

I was able to get through the category unscathed, but all three of my choices were between 12-17%, which really messed up my rarity score.
Yes, the save categories are heavily weighted for Firemen 90s - current. I look fondly on the Rolaids Relief Man baseball cards though. RIP the award (d 2012 per Wiki).

I went with Todd Jones (15%) / Rod Beck (17%) & Jason Isringhausen (11%).

Yes, the save categories are heavily weighted for Firemen 90s - current. I look fondly on the Rolaids Relief Man baseball cards though. RIP the award (d 2012 per Wiki).

I went with Todd Jones (15%) / Rod Beck (17%) & Jason Isringhausen (11%).
Our only difference was I chose Huston Street for the Athletics (12%). And yes, the Roland’s Relief Man was the pinnacle.

A day late with the Twins Alert on the Grid with Mets / Jays / 20Ws - Season:

- '87 Closer / 0.7%
- Knuckleballer / 2%
- '94 No No / 3%

After the fact, I did not realize Scott Erickson would also be a sneaky qualifier in the Mets cube.

- '87 Closer / 0.7%
- Knuckleballer / 2%
- '94 No No / 3%

After the fact, I did not realize Scott Erickson would also be a sneaky qualifier in the Mets cube.

- '87 Closer / 0.7%
- Knuckleballer / 2%
- '94 No No / 3%

I went with the following:
--obscure pitcher John Pacella (.05%--the reason I recall are the two baseball cards attached-the '81 Mets is an all time favorite action card for me)
--pencil thin mustache man, Hosken Powell (.4%)
--1st Twins 20 gamer, Camilo Pascual (1%)
1724433824516.png1724433852292.png

I went with the following:
--obscure pitcher John Pacella (.05%--the reason I recall are the two baseball cards attached-the '81 Mets is an all time favorite action card for me)
--pencil thin mustache man, Hosken Powell (.4%)
--1st Twins 20 gamer, Camilo Pascual (1%)

I greatly admire the John Pacella call.

What I found interesting is that for the Reds they have 34 qualifiers for 20G winners, but only 3 were post-Big Red Machine 70s era (T Browning, D Jackson & J Cueto). Only Jim Merritt did it at the dawn of their NL Pennant/World Champion run in 1970.

The other 30 did it prior to 1970, with most pre-WWII.

I greatly admire the John Pacella call.

What I found interesting is that for the Reds they have 34 qualifiers for 20G winners, but only 3 were post-Big Red Machine 70s era (T Browning, D Jackson & J Cueto). Only Jim Merritt did it at the dawn of their NL Pennant/World Champion run in 1970.

The other 30 did it prior to 1970, with most pre-WWII.
I marveled at that too-no Seaver, Mario Soto, Jose Rijo among the bunch-Johnny Vander Meer same story. I have come to realize that pre-Big Red Machine, the Reds history is very vague for me. Frank Robinson, Ted Klusewski, Vander Meer, Joe Nuxhall and…crickets.

I marveled at that too-no Seaver, Mario Soto, Jose Rijo among the bunch-Johnny Vander Meer same story. I have come to realize that pre-Big Red Machine, the Reds history is very vague for me. Frank Robinson, Ted Klusewski, Vander Meer, Joe Nuxhall and…crickets.
Seaver's most dominating season in Cincinnati was 1981. It was strike shortened, so that reduced his starts, and he went a gaudy 14-2.

The Reds had the most wins in all of MLB that year. They still failed to qualify for the Post Season though. Bizarre, but true.

Twins Alert & worlds collide for coolhand with Twins/Rangers on the menu.

I went:

John Butcher/Rangers 0.2%
Michael Tonkin/Yanks 0.9%
Harmon Killebrew/30 HRs 22%

Interesting, Tonkin started 0.5% when I played during breakfast but increased throughout the day.

Twins Alert & worlds collide for coolhand with Twins/Rangers on the menu.

I went:

John Butcher/Rangers 0.2%
Michael Tonkin/Yanks 0.9%
Harmon Killebrew/30 HRs 22%

Interesting, Tonkin started 0.5% when I played during breakfast but increased throughout the day.
Damn straight--I also like when the Yankees pop up, there's a lot of cross pollination with the Evil Empire.

I went:
Mike Bacsik (.005%--one of the more anonymous Twins I can imagine, but he had a beauty of a 1980 Topps card--as shown here)

John Ryan Murphy (1%)

Jimmie Hall (.6%)

Funny enough, I also used Butcher for the Guardians/Rangers (also .2%) as I thought I recalled that he went to Cleveland after his time with the Twins. As is my one rule with IG, when I can utilize Kirby Puckett I do, and he was my CF/30 HR square for a lovely 1%.

1725268489964.png

Last edited:

Damn straight--I also like when the Yankees pop up, there's a lot of cross pollination with the Evil Empire.

I went:
Mike Bacsik (.005%--one of the more anonymous Twins I can imagine, but he had a beauty of a 1980 Topps card--as shown here)

John Ryan Murphy (1%)

Jimmie Hall (.6%)

Funny enough, I also used Butcher for the Guardians/Rangers (also .2%) as I thought I recalled that he went to Cleveland after his time with the Twins. As is my one rule with IG, when I can utilize Kirby Puckett I do, and he was my CF/30 HR square for a lovely 1%.
In the CF/HR Box I wasn't really Rarity Score hunting (Killer was already 22% on my Twins line), but I was surprised that George Herman Ruth was a stealth 0.5%.

The Babe wound up playing more than 80 games combined during his time with the Red Sox & Yankees.

Twins Alert on the Grid paired with:

Cards - Gaetti / 16%
Guards - Rosario / 3%
Only 1 Team - Redfern / 0.8%

I wasn't exactly shooting for Rarity when I went with G-Man but was stunned by was the Most Common answer when I played this morning at 17%. Since then he dropped 1% and was surpassed by Sonny Gray.

Top Bottom