All Things Immaculate Grid-related (MLB, NBA, NFL)

Twins alert on the Grid.

Bomba 1B - 0.7%
'91 RF - 0.2%
'88 ERA Leader - 0.4%
I went with:
--catcher with a palindromic last name (.2%)
--Cy Young award winner w/a HOF brother (.2%)
--"ace" from the '82 Twins with a superior 'stache (.03%)

My quest for a perfect May is done.

Hard to fathom that Kirk Gibson never played in the Mid-Summer Classic as a Detroit Tiger. Seriously?!? Actually he never appeared in an All Star game, period. Wow.
I don't feel as bad for the Gibson/Tiger-All Star gaffe, as today I was tripped up by having no clue on a Diamondback with 30 SBs.

Last edited:

I don't feel as bad for the Gibson/Tiger-All Star gaffe, as today I was tripped up by having no clue on a Diamondback with 30 SBs.
I thought Tony Womack was a brilliant answer for that one but apparently so did everyone else out there lol.

I thought Tony Womack was a brilliant answer for that one but apparently so did everyone else out there lol.
Of the 7 D-Backs that qualified, Womack and Goldschmidt were the only players I had even heard of, but there was no chance I was going to associate them as achieving such success on the basepaths.

May's been pretty rough for me overall, but none more so than today--I took a stab with both Uptons', if BJ actually had played with the D-Backs, I'd have been fine, but given my scarce knowledge of that franchise, I dug a hole immediately.

Regarding Gibson/All Star games, here's an old article (10 years out) of the best players to never have made an All-Star team. Some names that really surprise me here, none more so than Eric Chavez.

May's been pretty rough for me overall, but none more so than today--I took a stab with both Uptons', if BJ actually had played with the D-Backs, I'd have been fine, but given my scarce knowledge of that franchise, I dug a hole immediately.

Regarding Gibson/All Star games, here's an old article (10 years out) of the best players to never have made an All-Star team. Some names that really surprise me here, none more so than Eric Chavez.
From the article:

Gibson told MLB.com in 2011 that he was twice invited as a reserve to the All-Star Game, in 1985 and 1988 (the year he won the NL MVP Award), but turned down the selections.

I feel as though I should get back credit for my Grid/Gibson choice. :cool:

Several other surprising names on that list, especially Tim Salmon. I have gotten burned before on John Tudor.

Rarity Score Hunter's Delight today on the Grid. I hit 5%, only cube above 1% for me was Orlando Cepeda at 2%.

Rarity Score Hunter's Delight today on the Grid. I hit 5%, only cube above 1% for me was Orlando Cepeda at 2%.
I got too cute hunting for a low score and ended up with 8/9. I was able to conjure up some fun names in the process though: Juan Beniquez, Willie Montanez, Joaquin Andujar, John Denny, Dick Ruthven, Jim Kern from the great era of the 70s/80s.

I got too cute hunting for a low score and ended up with 8/9. I was able to conjure up some fun names in the process though: Juan Beniquez, Willie Montanez, Joaquin Andujar, John Denny, Dick Ruthven, Jim Kern from the great era of the 70s/80s.
Bummer on not hitting the perfecto, but great names. My list included:

Rusty Staub
Frank Tanana
Bert Blyleven
Darren Daulton
Bob Walk
Willie Hernandez
Ted Simmons
Cy Young
Orlando Cepeda

June 1 and I almost got too cute on the 3B line. I used Johnny Bench on +40 WAR and Gary Carter for 300 HRs and was trying to think of an obscure .300 Career BA.

I came to my senses and just plugged in George Brett. Survive and advance.

Twins alert on the Grid:

- Late 70s - 80 Starting Pitcher towards the end of the alphabet. (0.3%)
- 60s stalwart. (3%)
- 1987 #1. Surprised afterwards to see he wound up appearing in 9 MLB seasons over 11 yrs for 7 franchises. (0.5%)

Twins alert on the Grid:

- Late 70s - 80 Starting Pitcher towards the end of the alphabet. (0.3%)
- 60s stalwart. (3%)
- 1987 #1. Surprised afterwards to see he wound up appearing in 9 MLB seasons over 11 yrs for 7 franchises. (0.5%)
I'm a little late on the response, but I went with the following Twins:
* stalwart backstop for the Orioles through the late '70s/'80s whose career started with the Twins and I believe ended with the Dodgers (.4%)
* third catcher on '91 world champs (behind Harper and Ortiz) who began career with Twins before bouncing around as a journeyman (.3%)
* pitcher who was the #4 overall in '82 who I figured would be the Twins ace through the '80s; instead, he was shuttled off a few years later (with Ken Schrom) to the Indians for Roy Smith. (.003%)

I'm a little late on the response, but I went with the following Twins:
* stalwart backstop for the Orioles through the late '70s/'80s whose career started with the Twins and I believe ended with the Dodgers (.4%)
* third catcher on '91 world champs (behind Harper and Ortiz) who began career with Twins before bouncing around as a journeyman (.3%)
* pitcher who was the #4 overall in '82 who I figured would be the Twins ace through the '80s; instead, he was shuttled off a few years later (with Ken Schrom) to the Indians for Roy Smith. (.003%)

If your 1st one is Dempsey, he actually wound up back with the Os after a couple of stops. I only know that from previous lookups while playing the Grid.

Top Bottom