All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

From an older STrib article:

The 6-7, 215-pound senior has been projected by some recruiting services as a power forward in college, but Ola-Joseph made very clear that his best position will be on the wing for the Gophers.

A big reason he's transferring to Prolific Prep is to be able to continue to showcase and expand his perimeter game.

"A lot of these articles are labeling me as a [power forward]," he said. "I'm not. I'm going to show a little bit more versatility and shoot the ball more. I'm an aggressive basketball player. I got a lot to prove. I'm going to this prep year with a chip on my shoulder. I'm going to show my versatility to shoot the ball very well, [handle the ball] very well, and also be aggressive."

Perhaps that speaks to his "plan" and Prolific's "plan for him" didn't quite match up.
So he wont play the role the coaches want him to play, okay.

100%.

This is not an uncommon thing, most kids don't like the idea of "playing up" a position even though it will usually get them on the court earlier and likely lead to more success.

JOJ is a junk yard dog, energy, scrapping type of player with above average athleticism. Hopefully he will focus on that while still working on his skill development.

As scouts will say- don't lose track of the main thing being the main thing.
So he wont play the role the coaches want him to play, okay.
It's funny how guys always want to play "down" a position but never "up".

I'm 6'7" and played center in HS. My coach caught me shooting a 3PT one time in practice and yelled at me, saying if he ever caught me doing that again he was going to make me run until my legs fell off. Last time I ever thought I should do anything beyond the 3PT line other than set a pick.

I coached youth basketball for a while too, and this attitude is prevalent. The best post I ever coached desperately wanted to bring the ball up the court, even though he was best served by posting up and getting an entry pass. I remember Richard Coffey insisting Amir was a PG while being recruited, even though it seemed like wing was his best spot.

I'm 6'7" and played center in HS. My coach caught me shooting a 3PT one time in practice and yelled at me, saying if he ever caught me doing that again he was going to make me run until my legs fell off. Last time I ever thought I should do anything beyond the 3PT line other than set a pick.

I coached youth basketball for a while too, and this attitude is prevalent. The best post I ever coached desperately wanted to bring the ball up the court, even though he was best served by posting up and getting an entry pass. I remember Richard Coffey insisting Amir was a PG while being recruited, even though it seemed like wing was his best spot.
LOL I'm 5' 7" and all I ever wanted to do was play center, very funny indeed. Clearly my basketball career was non-existent : )

I believe a lot of it has to do with thoughts of playing in the NBA. If you are undersized 4 or 5, you aren't playing in the NBA and they know it, so kids don't want to play a position undersized, in NBA terms, which is basically conceding they won't play in the NBA.

If you would have made it he couldn’t have yelled at you lol

Per Shooter:

It still looks like the Gophers could end up with 6-foot-11 Dawson Garcia, an incoming junior at North Carolina, if the former Prior Lake star enters the NCAA transfer portal to be closer to family.

Meanwhile, the Gophers are closing in on an impact point guard.

Go Gophers!!

Anyone else getting worried that we haven't heard anything official from the Gophers about Henley signing his LOI? Today is the first day of the spring signing period and we often hear on the morning of the first day (at least that's usually the case for the early signing period).

Anyone else getting worried that we haven't heard anything official from the Gophers about Henley signing his LOI? Today is the first day of the spring signing period and we often hear on the morning of the first day (at least that's usually the case for the early signing period).
Spring signings usually bleed out longer than fall signings. Coaching staff is likely on the road. If we haven't heard by next week, push the panic button.

He did not sign during the early period, when NLI's could have only be signed 11/10/2021 - 11/17/2021.

He will be in the Spring signing period between 4/13/2022 - 5/18/2022.

his tweets are all still about being a gopher

Quick search shows Henley Apartments in Richfield and Henley Condos in Edina. Bring on the NIL!!!!!

He should be proud to be a spokesperson for Henley Apartments/Townhouses . Nice new places, great location (right next to Richfield Lake Park and the Co-op, very close to Pizza Luce and I 35).

sy chatman has entered the portal. Any thoughts the gophers might be interested?

Top Bottom