All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

TT has always wanted to be a perimeter guy. Payne is more of a bruiser/physical player. Other than TT we didn't have anyone who would need development minutes so that's probably why we didn't see much of it.
Interesting. I didn't know he (or any player) could just declare that.

Like, your body is very obviously suited to be this ... but you want to do the opposite thing.

Wonder if that is similar-ish to what JOJ was saying in the STrib article.

Like, your body is very obviously suited to be this ... but you want to do the opposite thing.

Just watch him in games now. He floated around the 3 more than he ever posted. I know the system we run plays a part in that but that is how he has always played.

Just watch him in games now. He floated around the 3 more than he ever posted. I know the system we run plays a part in that but that is how he has always played.
So is that why he (TT) didn't play much this past season, he either refused or just wasn't ready to play inside?

I assume we wouldn't recruit him if the coaches wanted him inside but he only wants to play on the perimeter.

TT has said it in interviews as well that he is not a center. The problem lies in the kids wanting to get into the league so they look at the prototype for their size and decide that's what they need to be. Others feed this mentality too because they want a piece of the kid if it works out. It's sad more than anything, but this staff will be honest with kids and they will play.

So is that why he (TT) didn't play much this past season, he either refused or just wasn't ready to play inside?

I assume we wouldn't recruit him if the coaches wanted him inside but he only wants to play on the perimeter.
If I had to put my money on it I would say yes. I mean he was a 6'11 4 Star prospect from MN we had to recruit him and try to get him to accept the role of playing inside. He has always been a perimeter big. He still has potential to be a rim protector and be a floor spacing big but those guys aren't always ready year 1. That's what I saw from him. Ben Carlson is a more physical guy than TT and he struggled at Wisconsin.

My biggest concern with JOJ is he will have people in his ear convincing him that he is something he is not (SF). He is PF in a SF body. Similar to Jordan Murphy. If he embraced the undersized 4 role, then he will be successful
100%.

This is not an uncommon thing, most kids don't like the idea of "playing up" a position even though it will usually get them on the court earlier and likely lead to more success.

JOJ is a junk yard dog, energy, scrapping type of player with above average athleticism. Hopefully he will focus on that while still working on his skill development.

As scouts will say- don't lose track of the main thing being the main thing.

If I had to put my money on it I would say yes. I mean he was a 6'11 4 Star prospect from MN we had to recruit him and try to get him to accept the role of playing inside. He has always been a perimeter big. He still has potential to be a rim protector and be a floor spacing big but those guys aren't always ready year 1. That's what I saw from him. Ben Carlson is a more physical guy than TT and he struggled at Wisconsin.
There's nothing wrong with being a perimeter big in 2022, the stretch 5 is a supremely valuable player these days. Whether or not he considers himself a 5 is irrelevent. What is important with TT- can he actually turn himself into the quality rim protector his size/length suggests he should be?

He has a nice stroke; I've seen enough to think he will develop into an above average shooter for the position.

There's nothing wrong with being a perimeter big in 2022, the stretch 5 is a supremely valuable player these days. Whether or not he considers himself a 5 is irrelevent. What is important with TT- can he actually turn himself into the quality rim protector his size/length suggests he should be?

He has a nice stroke; I've seen enough to think he will develop into an above average shooter for the position.
Agree 100%

JOJ is a junk yard dog, energy, scrapping type of player with above average athleticism.

When I watched Compass Prep this year, JOJ sure didn't look like he had above average athleticism compared to his teammates. He looked like he was a bit of a wider body than most of them, though, so that might help with screening.

When I watched Compass Prep this year, JOJ sure didn't look like he had above average athleticism compared to his teammates. He looked like he was a bit of a wider body than most of them, though, so that might help with screening.
I've seen him play 3 times this year which isn't a huge sample size, but he has a thick body while maintaining good athleticism. He hardly ever shoots and doesn't look for his offense. What i did notice, is that when he was in the game, he most often guarded the other team's best player, which is obviously a good sign. It seems every one of these prep schools has multiple top 20 kids in their respective classes.

Last edited:

Which is why his playing time was limited. We had 3-point shooters. We had more need for inside defense and rebounding.

Developmental minutes happen everyday in practice. You earn your minutes in a game with the abilities you display in practice. If last years freshmen couldn't earn minutes in practice against last years seniors, do you really think they deserved playing time in a game?
Did you just want to see them to cure your itch or do you really think playing time would have bolstered their confidence?
Honestly, Thiam could barely dribble and run at the same time in the limited minutes he played. Do you really think him getting his ass handed to him for more minutes would have helped him?
My point was I don't see BJ giving "developmental minutes" in games, based on what we witnessed this year. I wasn't making an assessment on whether that was good or bad, only that that is what he does. You agree with his approach which is fine. I am just saying people should not expect to see freshmen given "developmental minutes" for the sake of development.

Last edited:

He was solid at points but against teams who pressure (Osseo & DeLaSalle), he struggled. I think he will be a lot more similar to Gabe K but he may develop into a Payton W type PG. Like I said I like Braeden long-term and to be honest I have been impressed with how far he has come along since his days with Gain Elite when he was 14. The kid really has a solid work ethic. I just don't see him ready to give PG minutes but do think he can contribute 10-15 min at the 2 spot
His role won’t be a PG for the U. PC needed him to handle the ball. But that also helped develop his overall game but he flourished with Sizzle as a wing.

His role won’t be a PG for the U. PC needed him to handle the ball. But that also helped develop his overall game but he flourished with Sizzle as a wing.
I think they’d like him to handle some ball handling from time to time at some point. Any versatility will be welcomed. What’s impressive is he flourished while the Sizzle team was a mess. Also impressive he handled the point duties over Tabor.

My point was I don't see BJ giving "developmental minutes" in games, based on what we witnessed this year. I wasn't making an assessment on whether that was good or bad, only that that is what he does. You agree with his approach which is fine. I am just saying people should not expect to see freshmen given "developmental minutes" for the sake of development.
Correct, and that is good (smart).

I agree but if he could develop some type of inside game he would be that much harder to defend, Rickert at the college level really excelled at that, as it is opposing teams have to cover him on the perimeter which really opens up the lane for the other 4 guys.

I agree but if he could develop some type of inside game he would be that much harder to defend, Rickert at the college level really excelled at that, as it is opposing teams have to cover him on the perimeter which really opens up the lane for the other 4 guys.
Id also add that a man his size has no excuse not to have an inside game

Id also add that a man his size has no excuse not to have an inside game
You mean a man that's 195 lbs? More requirements to have an "inside" game than being tall. Tyler Wahl has a great inside game and he's 6'7. TT works really hard. He moved away from home to get more resources to help get better. Lets just see how it plays out.

I think they’d like him to handle some ball handling from time to time at some point. Any versatility will be welcomed. What’s impressive is he flourished while the Sizzle team was a mess. Also impressive he handled the point duties over Tabor.
Not trying to argue but first you say he’s a shaky ball handler now you’re impressed by his ball ball handling duties at PC? He flourished while the Sizzle was a mess? I know Watson struggled but I think as a whole all the shoe teams from MN struggled against National talent. Look at D1 last year or see why Pulley doesn’t have a true Nike deal anymore. You need a Jalen, Chet, Tyus, Tre, Gary Trent to truly compete on that level. In the region Sizzle and D1 were the top 2 teams, with Sizzle being #1 in Prep Hoops. You’re posting with an agenda. Carrington also more the just a good shooter.

Not trying to argue but first you say he’s a shaky ball handler now you’re impressed by his ball ball handling duties at PC? He flourished while the Sizzle was a mess? I know Watson struggled but I think as a whole all the shoe teams from MN struggled against National talent. Look at D1 last year or see why Pulley doesn’t have a true Nike deal anymore. You need a Jalen, Chet, Tyus, Tre, Gary Trent to truly compete on that level. In the region Sizzle and D1 were the top 2 teams, with Sizzle being #1 in Prep Hoops. You’re posting with an agenda. Carrington also more the just a good shooter.
Gopherplaya said he was a shaky ballhandler not me. I responded saying I felt it's been much improved and dropped the line about him playing it at PC.

Sizzle was a mess beyond W's and L's last year. Kids leaving left and right and many felt were lied to. There is a reason the coaching/management or whatever you want to call it changed again. I have no agenda against them and couldn't care less, I'm just stating facts I heard from people involved in it.

Also when did I ever sayin Carrington was just a good shooter? He's a scorer and I think that's his most transitionable skill right now, but I like him cause he's a grinder and works on both ends of the floor. It's why I think he plays next year.

Top Bottom