All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I think you all are sleeping on Thompson.

I hope you’re right! The kid seems pretty skilled but I’m just not sure about his defensive upside. I do think our fans will really take to him, he seems like a character off the court.

I hope you’re right! The kid seems pretty skilled but I’m just not sure about his defensive upside. I do think our fans will really take to him, he seems like a character off the court.
He's pretty smart and should always be solid defensively. Might not be an elite shot blocker, but he'll be good positionally and redirect shots enough. It's probably one of his stronger areas after going prep.

Marcus Q&A with Dunn, and for those wondering about Dunn's visit, we got confirmation it was good! Whew!

Q: How did you enjoy the atmosphere at Huntington Bank Stadium?

A:
It was my first football game ever. So, seeing all those people at the football game and everyone told me just wait for the basketball season. I could tell that the fan base in Minnesota was really big for them. They're really big on sports. That would be really cool for me to play in front of a big fan base.

Q: What was your experience like hanging out with the Gophers players?

A:
The team was really cool. They welcomed me and my friend, Jayden Pierre. We were able to ask questions and talk a little bit. We played pickup. That was cool to see how they play. They are all good guys.

Q: The Gophers haven't played their first game under Ben Johnson, but what do you know about their playing style?

A:
I think they will have a philosophy of getting up and down. He's talked to me about his philosophy and how he would use me coming off ball screens and stuff. And how me being on the wing for him could be big.

Q: When would be the earliest you could decide?

A:
I have no clue yet. I'm still just waiting to talk to my parents and coaches. Going to see some other schools. Just being able to decide from there. I have nothing [to announce] yet.

Q: What did you think about reclassifying to the 2022 class?

A:
I think it's great that guys who want to are able to get to college early. I think if I were able to I would think about it with my parents, if I wanted to stay back and get ready for college or go right away.

Q: How would you describe your game to Gophers fans?

A:
Very versatile. I would say a wing that could do many things. Try to score at all three levels. I bring high intensity to the court. I try to have fun wherever I play and wherever I go. I try to bring joy to my teammates, and make it fun for the fans.

Q: Did the Gophers compare you to current NBA guard Amir Coffey?

A:
That's what they said. They see me playing a lot like him. They see a lot of Amir Coffey in me.
Q: How close are you with Jayden Pierre?

A:
I knew about him two years ago. Being teammates with him was good. We played a couple games together. We had a close relationship talking a little bit. That was fun being on a visit for the first time with someone I know.

Q: This is the only school you're visiting together. Would it influence your decision if he picked the Gophers?

A:
At the end of the day, it's our decision. It would be really cool for us to come together and play for another two, three or four years. But I think we're just going to take our time and think about it. If he commits there and I do, it would be great for us. But even if we commit in different spots, I still care for him. He cares for me. I think it would be cool for us to team up together again at Minnesota in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!

Connor Essegian, who was going to make a visit to the Gophers, is announcing his commitment September 15. He has visited Wake Forest and Wisconsin. Looking like Wisconsin.

Interesting. Position ignored, Dunn has a giant upside. I WANT BOTH
Dunn would be fantastic for MN (or are you saying this for VA?). Feels like we have a really good chance if he’s not a take for Virginia. But considering they have him on a visit this weekend, I’m thinking we may be moving on to Byrd soon.

Connor Essegian, who was going to make a visit to the Gophers, is announcing his commitment September 15. He has visited Wake Forest and Wisconsin. Looking like Wisconsin.
I think we stopped recruiting him

If Virginia indeed offers Dunn is gone IMO
This is most likely true unless early playing time is important to Dunn as built had made reference to in a previous post. If we somehow land both Pierre AND Dunn to our current three (3) commits, the Ben haters will be pretty scarce for a while.

Dunn would be fantastic for MN (or are you saying this for VA?). Feels like we have a really good chance if he’s not a take for Virginia. But considering they have him on a visit this weekend, I’m thinking we may be moving on to Byrd soon.
For Minnesota, especially since UVA thinks so highly of him. Very surprised that his UVA offer is on the table as they are deep at his position. They will struggle a bit this year but that 2022 class is a dream class an Dunn would play early for the Gophs. Ben and Thorson will be attracted to many of the same types of players as Bennett. His pitch is short. A chance to compete for playing time, get a degree from one of the 3 best public schools in a cool college town, play for a winning program, see using you like a Brogdon. Getting a complete game.

Gophs have early playing time, really good school, big city, being part of the start of something special.

For Minnesota, especially since UVA thinks so highly of him. Very surprised that his UVA offer is on the table as they are deep at his position. They will struggle a bit this year but that 2022 class is a dream class an Dunn would play early for the Gophs. Ben and Thorson will be attracted to many of the same types of players as Bennett. His pitch is short. A chance to compete for playing time, get a degree from one of the 3 best public schools in a cool college town, play for a winning program, see using you like a Brogdon. Getting a complete game.

Gophs have early playing time, really good school, big city, being part of the start of something special.
VA has a commitment for Issac Traudt who’s rankings are between 30-55 depending on the service who plays his same position. There’s no playing time for him there. I’m surprised they’re still recruiting him. If I were the Gopher staff I’d give him a deadline then move on

This is most likely true unless early playing time is important to Dunn as built had made reference to in a previous post. If we somehow land both Pierre AND Dunn to our current three (3) commits, the Ben haters will be pretty scarce for a while.
The fact that he has commitments from guys that are currently unranked isn’t going to change opinions, it’s more likely to confirm existing ones. The majority of fans (myself included) don’t really have enough information or perspective to adequately grade these players without the input of others that are experienced scouts or coaches. I’ve read Bossi’s blurb on Payne and realize that the 247 guys like a few of our commits and that they will be ranked somewhere in the top 150, but as of now, the lack of contextual information makes the 2022 class nearly as much of an unknown as BJ himself.

personally I’m cautiously optimistic and am content/hopeful at the idea of a deep 3 star first class.

VA has a commitment for Issac Traudt who’s rankings are between 30-55 depending on the service who plays his same position. There’s no playing time for him there. I’m surprised they’re still recruiting him. If I were the Gopher staff I’d give him a deadline then move on
Traudt is not playing the same position. He is 6'11 and often a face 4. Gophers recruited him hard but he had Kansas,UNC,Gonzaga, MSU and UVA. Gophers are not setting a date on Dunn, they want him badly. Dunn is likely blocked from early time at UVA by Mckeely and Bond.

247 has no ranking on our cruits. What is the real assessment of their skills? We talking 3*? 4*?

247 has no ranking on our cruits. What is the real assessment of their skills? We talking 3*? 4*?
Sounds like Payne has a good shot at a 4 star rating, while Carrington is maybe fringe top 150, and Ola-Joseph a bit lower than that. From what I remember, Pierre and Dunn got tossed into the bottom of the 247 top 150 along with Payne when some other 2022 recruits reclassified, so they may have potential to go a little higher than that. Miles Byrd is somewhere in the 100-150 range

Traudt 6'10" he can play the four spot, Dunn a three, small ball four maybe, but they can definitely play together. Dunn probably is closer to Leon Bond than Say Traudt, but you could definitely put all three of them out on the court together. I think if we sign a fifth it will be Miles Byrd. Not quite as physically ready to go as Dunn, but I think when he adds 20 lbs of muscle he will be just as good

Traudt 6'10" he can play the four spot, Dunn a three, small ball four maybe, but they can definitely play together. Dunn probably is closer to Leon Bond than Say Traudt, but you could definitely put all three of them out on the court together. I think if we sign a fifth it will be Miles Byrd. Not quite as physically ready to go as Dunn, but I think when he adds 20 lbs of muscle he will be just as good
Spot on and at shooting on the wing they got their man. Dunn is welsome to fight for time on a loaded team but that package at UVA is not for everyone. It is a grueling commitment to their academics, their practices, their structure, their defense. For some it is exactly what some are looking for.

Top Bottom