All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I've watched Colin Smith play a few times. It's probably already been mentioned, but he played alongside Harrison Ingram on a good St. Mark's team, and looked solid even as as Sophomore. He also has a 6'5" sister who plays volleyball at Stanford, so lots of talent in that family.
His sister had Minnesota in her top schools too. The family has been here a couple different times including an official visit and they really like the school. Not saying we get him or anything but we probably have a better shot than people think.

ISU is an anomaly in have 3 ‘22 recruits. How many ‘22 recruits does Utah, DePaul, Penn State, Boston College, and other P5 schools with new coaches have? If it’s September, the “it’s early” can be thrown out the window. Otherwise it is still extremely valid.

Good point. I haven't checked outside the conference but Penn State has one 22 commit.

Minnesota is not the only Big Ten program with no 22 commits. Northwestern, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Michigan State, and Maryland do not have any as of this date. The only schools I've seen with more than one at this date are Purdue, Ohio State, and Indiana.

Panic is premature.

VERY interesting. Has to be a reaction to Carrington setting an official to Colorado. Feels like it gives some insight into how the staff feels if Carrington is still uncommitted and ends up visiting Colorado at the end of August.

VERY interesting. Has to be a reaction to Carrington setting an official to Colorado. Feels like it gives some insight into how the staff feels if Carrington is still uncommitted and ends up visiting Colorado at the end of August.

Many on this board have advised Carrington is a stone cold lock, is this not the case?

We do also have 8 spots. Absolutely cannot end up with only a few partners when the music stops

Many on this board have advised Carrington is a stone cold lock, is this not the case?
Likely? Yes. Lock? No. I don’t think I have seen anybody say he’s a “stone cold lock”, but does it matter either way?

we have 1 guard on this team for next year....one.....we need to get 3-4 guards for this class....
even in the perfect world of us getting Tre and Carrington the guard position would still be a huge need for this team....

Good point. I haven't checked outside the conference but Penn State has one 22 commit.

Minnesota is not the only Big Ten program with no 22 commits. Northwestern, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Michigan State, and Maryland do not have any as of this date. The only schools I've seen with more than one at this date are Purdue, Ohio State, and Indiana.

Panic is premature.
I'm not panicking right now. I only see a few that are. But I think if I see one more person post that it's not time to panic yet then I am going to start panicking.

D027916D-6624-4133-9A0F-0B0DFE22266D.gif

Last edited:

Losing in-state kids you prioritized to Iowa State and Colorado is not a good look.
we can argue all day long when it comes to whether this staff prioritized Watson.....

but there would be no arguing on Carrington.....he has been a priority the entire time for the staff...we gotta lock him up

i will still be a bit surprised if he isnt committed by this time next week.....and if we miss on him i will be in panic mode

we can argue all day long when it comes to whether this staff prioritized Watson.....

but there would be no arguing on Carrington.....he has been a priority the entire time for the staff...we gotta lock him up

i will still be a bit surprised if he isnt committed by this time next week.....and if we miss on him i will be in panic mode
Yer kidding right?

Likely? Yes. Lock? No. I don’t think I have seen anybody say he’s a “stone cold lock”, but does it matter either way?
When it comes to dismissing Watson signing elsewhere as we are targeting better prospects (like Carrington), yeah it does matter. The "we cooled on Watson" narrative works because Carrington and Payne are expected to sign, which makes sense. Well, what if they don't sign, what then?

Please dont do it!

OK - perhaps I am wrong. However, I believe you are one of the posters that has repeatedly insisted he will be a Gopher, as the recruiting discussions have been happening.
Definitely not insisted he will be a Gopher either. Have I said that it sounded like he is leaning that way or likely based on way smarter/in the know people than me? Sure. But, I’m just a poster with opinions like you all.

When it comes to dismissing Watson signing elsewhere as we are targeting better prospects (like Carrington), yeah it does matter. The "we cooled on Watson" narrative works because Carrington and Payne are expected to sign, which makes sense. Well, what if they don't sign, what then?
Payne and Carrington have little to do with Watson.

We do also have 8 spots. Absolutely cannot end up with only a few partners when the music stops

I'm not sure that we'll have that many open scholarships. We'll see. Willis, Loewe, Stephens, and Daniels can't play another year. Curry very likely will not. That's five. I believe the other players now on scholarship (7) can. The upcoming season will be the 4th playing year for Sutherlin and Ogele but they could play another.

I'm not sure that we'll have that many open scholarships. We'll see. Willis, Loewe, Stephens, and Daniels can't play another year. Curry very likely will not. That's five. I believe the other players now on scholarship (7) can. The upcoming season will be the 4th playing year for Sutherlin and Ogele but they could play another.
i had Professor Tang for my second quarter physics. At the beginning of the course I think he said he had only taught advanced quantum physics for the past 17 years. I averaged 27 out of 100 on his weekly quizes, and got a B

trying to figure out player eligibility is harder than that.

They did not lose anyone prioritized to ISU, and haven’t lost anyone to Colorado. Nice try though.
They have lost 3 guys they'd have taken to ISU whether they "prioritized" them or not.

Top Bottom