All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I could be 100% wrong and Tre may end up here but reading between the lines it sure seems like Tre is really excited about potentially playing for Izzo at MSU
would be hard to blame if he did, but that doesn't mean Ben should throw in the towel

I wouldn't

can't just give up, cripes

Have you seen the list of open offers from the Gophers? I count 32 for the class of 2022. That list absolutely must be whittled down. You can't recruit 32 people effectively.

Have you seen the list of open offers from the Gophers? I count 32 for the class of 2022. That list absolutely must be whittled down. You can't recruit 32 people effectively.
I'm sure not all 32 are being recruited equally, Tre should remain a priority for Ben until he's gone

of course....but Tre is certainly one of Bens priorities.....

are you suggesting the gophers should indeed move on from evening contacting Tre? would certainly be a very big head scratcher for me if he did that.....

are you suggesting the gophers should indeed move on from evening contacting Tre? would certainly be a very big head scratcher for me if he did that.....
Exactly. And then everybody would be complaining that Ben doesn’t think he can hang with the Izzos of the college coaching world and he gave up on a talent like Tre. I would put money on Tre still being priority #1 for Ben and staff.

Exactly. And then everybody would be complaining that Ben doesn’t think he can hang with the Izzos of the college coaching world and he gave up on a talent like Tre. I would put money on Tre still being priority #1 for Ben and staff.
Is MN priority 1 for Tre?

are you suggesting the gophers should indeed move on from evening contacting Tre?

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. But, if the kid is not going to come here, I hope he decides that sooner rather than later. I hope the same thing about every other name on the open offer list who isn't too keen on coming here because that list is long.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. But, if the kid is not going to come here, I hope he decides that sooner rather than later. I hope the same thing about every other name on the open offer list who isn't too keen on coming here because that list is long.
I am sure our coaches know how to manage this, dividing contacts among four coaches, aware of who to prioritize based on staff interest and recruit interest. Not abnormal.

Maybe if we had 2-3 spots to fill. With 6, I need someone on board by 8/1.
Coach Howeda needs to relax and realize 17 and 18 year-old's have a lot of time on their side, and they don't need to rush their decisions on your timeline. And unlike other years this class has not been able to do any kind of visits to schools due to COVID during their junior years. They are just making their first visits this summer. We are seeing this entire incoming class, non-athletes as well, making decisions later as they have lost an entire year of visiting schools.

If I were a high 2022 prospect, even if I was a big Gopher fan, I'd wait to see the the product BJ puts on the floor next year before declaring.

Maybe if we had 2-3 spots to fill. With 6, I need someone on board by 8/1.

If you're talking about traditional fall freshman recruits, I don't think he needs to fill any more than 3 by the fall. There will be chances in the spring for freshmen and transfers. In the end, I suspect he doesn't bring in more than four freshman anyway.

I'm not sure how many openings the roster we'll have. Loewe, Stephens, Daniels, and Willis can't play another year (assuming they don't get hurt early in the season). I can't imagine Curry playing another year. That's five. Sutherlin, Ogele, and Fox could play the following season. If no one transfers and those three decide to play another year, there may be only five openings. Of course, there is also the 13th scholarship if Johnson decided to fill it.

If I were a high 2022 prospect, even if I was a big Gopher fan, I'd wait to see the the product BJ puts on the floor next year before declaring.
I would to, that's the problem. Next year isn't going to be a good sight, so if your prediction is right we will be in trouble.

Not sure how hard Minnesota is recruiting either of them right now, both have had rough rough summers. The 2 schools RJ mentioned with Lee were St Thomas and Princeton and I'm not sure whos recruiting Watson right now but I'd bet quite a few schools have dropped him down their board. Both still have alot of potential but they need to step it up.
So the consensus is Watson and Lee have been bad this summer? Sounds like each had offers this spring. Would the Gophers take either of them right now if they were inclined to commit?

I would to, that's the problem. Next year isn't going to be a good sight, so if your prediction is right we will be in trouble.
That’s playing with fire to though. If you wait too long your other offers may get taken along with the one here (most likely not our case this year because of how many seniors we have.). Kids will go on visits and a majority will have their decisions by November. Ben’s laying out how he’d want to use these kids. You’re right that some will be hesitant and that’s why we won’t get 5 top 150 freshman, but you’ll get some that will take the chance. Ben’s real good at developing relationships and trust, so That’ll help him.

CBS Eye on College Bball pod this week was talking about how it’s normal now for the power 5 conference teams to continue recruitment of non priority kids in the top 100-300 range (typically mid major kids) even if they re not near the lead. The hope is that they can make a kids top 3. Again, these teams don’t want to land the kid initially, but ideally finish runner up hoping someone else can develop the kid and if the kid goes looking for a better situation down the road, they have a prior relationship to put them in a better spot for the transfer.

I've never seen 32 open offers for one class on Verbal Commits for our team or any other team I've viewed on that site.
Ive never even viewed this site til today and Illinois has 48 open offers, Maryland 31, Nebraska 35, Penn state 32, Rutgers 29. So 32 definitely isnt uncommon if theres that many from the big ten with similar numbers.

Coach Howeda needs to relax and realize 17 and 18 year-old's have a lot of time on their side, and they don't need to rush their decisions on your timeline. And unlike other years this class has not been able to do any kind of visits to schools due to COVID during their junior years. They are just making their first visits this summer. We are seeing this entire incoming class, non-athletes as well, making decisions later as they have lost an entire year of visiting schools.
I'm not asking for the entire class to be filled by August. Just one. Give us something.

So the consensus is Watson and Lee have been bad this summer? Sounds like each had offers this spring. Would the Gophers take either of them right now if they were inclined to commit?
Very good question. They seem to be all in on Payne and I'm not sure they'd take him and Lee so guessing they wouldnt take Lee right now. I would think theyd take Watson though.

I'm not asking for the entire class to be filled by August. Just one. Give us something.
I hope we can see one, but also know that August is really, really early for a kid who hasn't even started their senior year and hasn't had a chance to visit more than a school or two.

I’d like some proof that Ben knows how to close a deal. Some of those 32 you send out the door with the 48 hour offer

Paying attention to who they are watching in AAU tournaments each weekend is a better indicator who they are prioritizing than old offers right now. Tre has a coach there every game, so does Payne, Carrington, Watson. Jasen Green and Miles Byrd are new-ish names, Jameel Brown, Danny Wolf, Desmond Claude, Ahjany Lee. I’m sure others I’m forgetting or don’t know. The list has narrowed of who they are focusing on.

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that they plan on taking four in this class. Might have been an interview with a recruit. Which is lower than I anticipated and I assume subject to change.

Four sounds about right for this coming year. Then look for some more one or two year transfers to fill out the rest of the roster, that way classes can be balanced.
now if they have 4 and Tre wants to come as well, then take him!

Four sounds about right for this coming year. Then look for some more one or two year transfers to fill out the rest of the roster, that way classes can be balanced.
now if they have 4 and Tre wants to come as well, then take him!
I’m guessing 5 freshman and 2-3 transfers.

Top Bottom