All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Our recent Q&A with Carrington:

GopherHole: I know that you visited Minnesota recently. What was that experience like?

Braeden Carrington: It was fun. I liked it a lot. The coaches, I liked them. They had high energy. Very engaged with what they were doing and saying. I liked the facilities. The gym. All of that. My mom really enjoyed the facilities, too. She likes how it is close to home and she liked the coaches, too.

GopherHole: I know that Coach Johnson has made it a priority to keep a lot of the top talent and in-state kids at Minnesota. Is that something that they talked to you about?

Braeden Carrington: Yes. He always talks to me, how he wants me to stay home. How if I stay home and after basketball, I’d be a pretty big name in Minnesota still. It is always something to think about after basketball, if I don’t go pro, I could have opportunities in Minnesota still just because I went to the “U.”

GopherHole: What other visits are you planning on taking here in the next month or so?

Braeden Carrington: This month, I might go to Arizona State for an unofficial, but I’m not too sure if I’ll do that. The rest of my visits will probably be later in the summer, like August or early fall.

GopherHole: What offers do you have right now?

Braeden Carrington: I have the “U,” Seton Hall, Missouri and Florida.

Full interview here: https://gopherhole.com/park-center-...gophers-visit-and-what-it-will-mean-to-go-d1/

Jayden Pierre 247 offers
This recruiting stuff is crazy hard. I would think if Holloman comes this guy ain't. Does he pay us any attention until Holloman decides? By then is he in tight with somebody who makes him their number one Holloman like target? Or being this just happened is the hand writing on the wall and he is now our number one emphasis?
What if he says yes while Holloman is thinking about it? Does Holloman care? Would Pierre bolt if Holloman did?
Gotta be crazy discussions about who to offer when. Your backup targets say yes and the front runners are all still uncommitted, are you happy?
Right now I think we'd feel good for anyone to say yes.

Last edited:

Jayden Pierre 247 offers
This recruiting stuff is crazy hard. I would think if Holloman comes this guy ain't. Does he pay us any attention until Holloman decides? By then is he in tight with somebody who makes him their number one Holloman like target? Or being this just happened is the hand writing on the wall and he is now our number one emphasis?
What if he says yes while Holloman is thinking about it? Does Holloman care? Would Pierre bolt if Holloman did?
Gotta be crazy discussions about who to offer when. Your backup targets say yes and the front runners are all still uncommitted, are you happy?
Right now I think we'd feel good for anyone to say yes.
Replaying the Wright/Washington scenario, eh? At this point, you gotta take anyone who you target as a good fit and wants to be here. Give Holloman a final call if Pierre wants to come, but don't slow play Pierre waiting around for months on Holloman. We've seen that movie too many times recently.

Replaying the Wright/Washington scenario, eh? At this point, you gotta take anyone who you target as a good fit and wants to be here. Give Holloman a final call if Pierre wants to come, but don't slow play Pierre waiting around for months on Holloman. We've seen that movie too many times recently.
Bird in hand.

Bird in hand.
Yep. Of course, right now they don’t have either - or any of them!

Will be interesting to see how they handle Holloman. We’re in a good spot and they have the luxury of grabbing two prep lead guards (although that might not be their plan), but will they wait? I haven’t heard a timeline for him. There’s a couple of others that will have decisions by end of summer - would be nice to get commitments soon and turn all this bad news around.

Yep. Of course, right now they don’t have either - or any of them!

Will be interesting to see how they handle Holloman. We’re in a good spot and they have the luxury of grabbing two prep lead guards (although that might not be their plan), but will they wait? I haven’t heard a timeline for him. There’s a couple of others that will have decisions by end of summer - would be nice to get commitments soon and turn all this bad news around.
I don't think I have ever witnessed a coaching staff get off to a rougher start. It's been painful. I am afraid this season is going to be torture. We absolutely need to turn the bad momentum soon. I believe in the coaches, if they can get the players to come.

I don't think I have ever witnessed a coaching staff get off to a rougher start. It's been painful. I am afraid this season is going to be torture. We absolutely need to turn the bad momentum soon. I believe in the coaches, if they can get the players to come.
It started off pretty good, but really has been one thing after another since the first few weeks. I believe in them all as well - just need those first 2022’s to believe and jump in.

Next year is anticipated to be rough, but I’m kind of excited about 2022-2023. A healthy Fox/Ihnen, Battle, a year older Thiam/Thompson and then the new kids.

If you look at the 247 rankings of PG in this class, there are still quite a few in the higher rankings (still 4 stars) that look to be available. Meaning that they have not committed and do not have many P5 schools in their top schools. You would think that the U could swoop in and grab them if they wanted. I think it all matters about how the school ranks them and who you think will be a good fit for your system and team.

If you look at the 247 rankings of PG in this class, there are still quite a few in the higher rankings (still 4 stars) that look to be available. Meaning that they have not committed and do not have many P5 schools in their top schools. You would think that the U could swoop in and grab them if they wanted. I think it all matters about how the school ranks them and who you think will be a good fit for your system and team.
Wouldn't it be great, if it worked like that?

But in my guess, when a high school player gets that first P5 offer they're not thinking "already, a major offer! I'm taking this one, let's go", but rather they're thinking "alright, finally the seal is broken ... now let's see what real P5 offers start coming my way!"

Id think so, with this weekend being the last evaluation period these guys will start taking their visits and making decisions. Guessing the coaches wanna get him and Payne wrapped up quickly.
Don't blame them. Have to assume Payne schedules his soon and then hopefully Tre follows as well before his decision in September.

Id think so, with this weekend being the last evaluation period these guys will start taking their visits and making decisions. Guessing the coaches wanna get him and Payne wrapped up quickly.
Yeah I agree. I really do like our chances at getting Carrington and Payne. Both very good players too. I’d be thrilled to land them both.

For any of these young players the Gophers have offered, for whom Giannis is an inspiration, that are considering whether they want to be The Man to start rebuilding the program at Minnesota or go to a Blue Blood program to be The Man, there was this quote from the most recent champ to consider.

"I could go to a super team ... but this is the hard way to do it, and we did it. We f---ing did it." —NBA champ and Finals MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo

For any of these young players the Gophers have offered, for whom Giannis is an inspiration, that are considering whether they want to be The Man to start rebuilding the program at Minnesota or go to a Blue Blood program to be The Man, there was this quote from the most recent champ to consider.

"I could go to a super team ... but this is the hard way to do it, and we did it. We f---ing did it." —NBA champ and Finals MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo
that was a pretty awesome speech he gave.....

good for him....and the bucks....and even the suns for that matter. not a huge fan of the NBA and dont watch it much but i did tune in for this series

Wow! If this were to put an end to the Lebron James, form a posse era, then this guy is a hero. The go to a super team mentality is ruining the fun of sports.

Top Bottom