All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Probable Minnesota would target a few ranked 4-star recruits, assuming the considered 5-star players likely will be destined for the higher profile & traditional Duke, Kansas, Zags, so forth, or teams that reload yearly with future pro's ..Of the top 75 ranked 4-star players, 42% have already made a verbal commit to a team...It stands to reason the longer a player waits to commit to any program, he is somewhat skeptical if it is a proper fit by the present college offer rendered or he is willing to wait and play the season thinking his level of play will upgrade with more college interest...This is not my opinion, it is based on a couple recognizable recruited players from the past that I have a connection to....I hope Minnesota is able to land a few local gifted kids soon, time is vital when you are a new coach attempting to rebuild a program....

That means the next freshman class could be one of the U's largest in recent years. The Gophers have offered close to 30 players for 2022, but they are still waiting for Johnson's first commitment.

Division I basketball coaches were allowed to get on the road this summer for in-person recruiting. Most recently, Johnson and assistants Dave Thorson, Marcus Jenkins and Jason Kemp joined their peers recruiting in Georgia, Texas, Nebraska and South Dakota.

Park of Cottage Grove 2022 big man Pharrel Payne said he noticed the Gophers watching his Minnesota Select AAU team play in Sioux Falls, S.D. recently.

Nebraska Supreme forward Jasen Green, who like Payne took an unofficial visit to the U earlier this summer, received an offer from the Gophers on Monday after they watched him in Omaha.

On the same day, Christian Reeves, a 7-footer for Team CP3 in North Carolina, also announced on Twitter he picked up an offer from Minnesota.

The Gophers watched Reeves and others last week in Augusta, Ga., and they'll be back at the Nike Peach Jam Championships this weekend.

"When you walk in the gym now it's different," Johnson said. "I kind of see things through a different lens now, but it's all fun. I've enjoyed it. We've been able to get on the road. We were away for a year, so it's good to see these guys live and face to face."

Go Gophers!!

For any of these young players the Gophers have offered, for whom Giannis is an inspiration, that are considering whether they want to be The Man to start rebuilding the program at Minnesota or go to a Blue Blood program to be The Man, there was this quote from the most recent champ to consider.

"I could go to a super team ... but this is the hard way to do it, and we did it. We f---ing did it." —NBA champ and Finals MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo
I think he’s genuine and I love his personality and passion, but he’s also getting 228 million to help ease any pain of not being on a super team. Great quote, though, hope it resonates.

I think he’s genuine and I love his personality and passion, but he’s also getting 228 million to help ease any pain of not being on a super team. Great quote, though, hope it resonates.

When you include endorsements, Giannis likely lost money staying with Milwaukee. Granted, he still has the $228 million but he would have had that regardless.

Giannis won a ring with HIS team.

Id think so, with this weekend being the last evaluation period these guys will start taking their visits and making decisions. Guessing the coaches wanna get him and Payne wrapped up quickly.
That'd be awesome.

Tre is not trending the right direction here so I'm good with Ben turning his attention to all of these other guys. Haven't heard much on Lee, Watson-Saulsberry, and others lately. We still in the running there? There's plenty of other guys to go get.

That'd be awesome.

Tre is not trending the right direction here so I'm good with Ben turning his attention to all of these other guys. Haven't heard much on Lee, Watson-Saulsberry, and others lately. We still in the running there? There's plenty of other guys to go get.
Not sure how hard Minnesota is recruiting either of them right now, both have had rough rough summers. The 2 schools RJ mentioned with Lee were St Thomas and Princeton and I'm not sure whos recruiting Watson right now but I'd bet quite a few schools have dropped him down their board. Both still have alot of potential but they need to step it up.

Not sure how hard Minnesota is recruiting either of them right now, both have had rough rough summers. The 2 schools RJ mentioned with Lee were St Thomas and Princeton and I'm not sure whos recruiting Watson right now but I'd bet quite a few schools have dropped him down their board. Both still have alot of potential but they need to step it up.
MN, Vanderbilt, and Iowa State were the three after Watson most recently, but who knows if he has a committable offer from Vanderbilt or ISU after the last few weeks not knowing their numbers and who they are looking at. Guessing MN would still love to have him and his potential.

Guessing Lee is a back-up plan in case things don’t work out with Payne. And even then, there are other names popping up like Christian Reeves.

That means the next freshman class could be one of the U's largest in recent years. The Gophers have offered close to 30 players for 2022, but they are still waiting for Johnson's first commitment.

Division I basketball coaches were allowed to get on the road this summer for in-person recruiting. Most recently, Johnson and assistants Dave Thorson, Marcus Jenkins and Jason Kemp joined their peers recruiting in Georgia, Texas, Nebraska and South Dakota.

Park of Cottage Grove 2022 big man Pharrel Payne said he noticed the Gophers watching his Minnesota Select AAU team play in Sioux Falls, S.D. recently.

Nebraska Supreme forward Jasen Green, who like Payne took an unofficial visit to the U earlier this summer, received an offer from the Gophers on Monday after they watched him in Omaha.

On the same day, Christian Reeves, a 7-footer for Team CP3 in North Carolina, also announced on Twitter he picked up an offer from Minnesota.

The Gophers watched Reeves and others last week in Augusta, Ga., and they'll be back at the Nike Peach Jam Championships this weekend.

"When you walk in the gym now it's different," Johnson said. "I kind of see things through a different lens now, but it's all fun. I've enjoyed it. We've been able to get on the road. We were away for a year, so it's good to see these guys live and face to face."

Go Gophers!!
30 offers and no one has picked one up. Crap.

MN, Vanderbilt, and Iowa State were the three after Watson most recently, but who knows if he has a committable offer from Vanderbilt or ISU after the last few weeks not knowing their numbers and who they are looking at. Guessing MN would still love to have him and his potential.

Guessing Lee is a back-up plan in case things don’t work out with Payne. And even then, there are other names popping up like Christian Reeves.
Wow, I had no idea. I really don't follow it much other than what I see on recruiting boards. I know Lee and Watson were both pretty high looking back about 6 months or so ago. Interesting to hear.

For those in the "be patient" camp, what date are we allowed to be worried if we have no commitments? August 1st? Later?

Worry whenever and as much as you want. Some of the best programs have only 3 offers out. Ben will have his 1st 2022 soon enough.
If over 50% are gone then I worry. I agree people can worry when they want but at this time it is really premature.

50% of what- our offered players or of the top 150 or....?
Honestly could do use both, but you can always add targets. I was originally thinking top 175-200. We are taking 5-6 freshman. They won't all be the top 150 most likely. I'd hope for 3-4 top 150 and 1-2 developmental.

Honestly could do use both, but you can always add targets. I was originally thinking top 175-200. We are taking 5-6 freshman. They won't all be the top 150 most likely. I'd hope for 3-4 top 150 and 1-2 developmental.
Well start worrying then. 247 rates the top 150 and half of them are either committed or rated 100% for a certain college (including Holloman to MSU). 49 are verbal commitments. We do not show up anywhere as 50/50 or 100% for any recruit.

Well start worrying then. 247 rates the top 150 and half of them are either committed or rated 100% for a certain college (including Holloman to MSU). 49 are verbal commitments. We do not show up anywhere as 50/50 or 100% for any recruit.

It's early...........

Committed is what you worry about. The crystal ball isn't a smart thing to go off of. For instance Tre Holloman has one crystal ball from a Michigan State guy with a confidence level of 5 (basically guessing). Only about 30% are actually committed. I should also add that 247's rankings are off this year due to not being able to really evaluate prospects from Covid. They just did an update which was better last week.

half of them are either committed or rated 100% for a certain college (including Holloman to MSU).
That crystal ball metric represents the percentage of raters who forsee them going to a given school, not the level of certainty of any individual rater or 247 as a whole. Since most players (including Holloman) only have one CB, they will show as 100%, making the percentage they show pretty usually. Honestly a "CB points" system would be WAY more informative - - something like sum of CBs weighted by the certainty value of each rating.

That crystal ball metric represents the percentage of raters who forsee them going to a given school, not the level of certainty of any individual rater or 247 as a whole. Since most players (including Holloman) only have one CB, they will show as 100%, making the percentage they show pretty usually. Honestly a "CB points" system would be WAY more informative - - something like sum of CBs weighted by the certainty value of each rating.
I understand that. But the players that have 100% or 50/50 behind them...and it isn't us, are an uphill climb at this point. I think we all would agree that Holloman has become a bit of a longshot at this point.

I understand that. But the players that have 100% or 50/50 behind them...and it isn't us, are an uphill climb at this point. I think we all would agree that Holloman has become a bit of a longshot at this point.
I would be fading my attention away from Tre if I was Ben at this point. He may already be doing that.

I would be fading my attention away from Tre if I was Ben at this point. He may already be doing that.
Why is that? Ben and the staff at this point are not doing that at all, so he must not feel like he is out of it.

Why is that? Ben and the staff at this point are not doing that at all, so he must not feel like he is out of it.
I could be 100% wrong and Tre may end up here but reading between the lines it sure seems like Tre is really excited about potentially playing for Izzo at MSU

Top Bottom