All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

There are a few people on this board who decided shortly after hiring Ben that it was a failure, so they seem to be looking for reasons to validate that opinion. That’s why they’re so eager to talk about 2022 recruiting not going well even though our top targets in the class from the very beginning haven’t even committed anywhere yet.
Spot on.

So, let's say for argument that your dad is a Purdue alum. Your entire life, you've grown up hearing stories about all of Dad's great times at Purdue, and what a great school it is. Now, you're a HS basketball star, and along comes Purdue offering you a scholarship.

You think that just maybe, all of those stories and a lifetime of hearing about Purdue might - I say might - have influenced his decision?

Granted, sometimes it goes the other way (i.e. Darrell and Race Thompson).

But this race started with Purdue having an advantage. and that's the way it ended.

So, let's say for argument that your dad is a Purdue alum. Your entire life, you've grown up hearing stories about all of Dad's great times at Purdue, and what a great school it is. Now, you're a HS basketball star, and along comes Purdue offering you a scholarship.

You think that just maybe, all of those stories and a lifetime of hearing about Purdue might - I say might - have influenced his decision?

But this race started with Purdue having an advantage. and that's the way it ended.
Adding in that they have Painter and a crazy fan base.

Problem is it doesn't seem to go the other way:
Holmgren
Dainja
Klay Thompson
Race Thompson

I'm sure there are more I am missing.

Hopefully Holloman doesn't join that list.

Its probably easier to say this:

Did the gophers offer the players we have lost on? Yes.

Did they "recruit" them? Yes.

So they wanted them? Yes.

Did they get them? No.

Anything else is subjective fluff.

Or Chet/Dave Holmgren. It just sucks that we don't seem to get the legacy guys but other guys in basketball/football (Justice Sullivan) from MN head elsewhere because of family ties. I think there have been a few Wisky guys too.

One of the only ones I can think of is in FB, Demetrius Douglas in 2017 from Portland. His dad is Omar Douglas. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any right now.

I agree. But if we're speculating that the class will be fine because only two guys have committed elsewhere we can speculate the class won't be fine. If we're not going to speculate on here this board will be very quiet.
I think Ben will get 1 of the top local 2022 targets and add a few solid recruits from elsewhere. I don't know enough of the local guys to pick one but I think someone will fall in love with the idea of staying home and playing for him.
We all know that the anti Ben crowd isn't speculating. They don't like Johnson so every time a local recruit goes somewhere else they are going to come in and moan about how Johnson was supposedly hired to close the boarders and no longer let any local recruit commit to any other school ever.

Or Chet/Dave Holmgren. It just sucks that we don't seem to get the legacy guys but other guys in basketball/football (Justice Sullivan) from MN head elsewhere because of family ties. I think there have been a few Wisky guys too.

One of the only ones I can think of is in FB, Demetrius Douglas in 2017 from Portland. His dad is Omar Douglas. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any right now.
I can give you a couple that you might be missing. Think their last name is Barber or something like that....tough to remember as they weren't great players or anything while at the U :)

Its probably easier to say this:

Did the gophers offer the players we have lost on? Yes.

Did they "recruit" them? Yes.

So they wanted them? Yes.

Did they get them? No.

Anything else is subjective fluff.
You could also add a couple more

Were they recruited by other Power 6 schools? Yes

Did they end up committing to a Power 6 school? Yes

I can give you a couple that you might be missing. Think their last name is Barber or something like that....tough to remember as they weren't great players or anything while at the U :)
Carter Coughlin, Amir Coffey to name a few more!

So Heide and King were not top targets. Noted.
They were behind Tre, Watson, and Carrington for sure. Maybe even Lee too. The staff contacted them right away, but it’s obvious that they had their minds mostly made up. Still was good to get Heide to even agree to come visit before Purdue. They also have some out of state guys they are going after pretty hard too I believe.

dan coleman kinda - ben coleman's nephew. always liked Dan's quote. "I realized I wanted to stay close to home so my friends and family could see me play."

Problem is it doesn't seem to go the other way:
Holmgren
Dainja
Klay Thompson
Race Thompson

I'm sure there are more I am missing.

Hopefully Holloman doesn't join that list.
The Gophers didn’t offer Klay, didn’t really pursue Dainja for numerous reasons, and Race wasn’t highly recruited either (wasn’t the right choice but Pitino didn’t pursue hard).

They were behind Tre, Watson, and Carrington for sure. Maybe even Lee too. The staff contacted them right away, but it’s obvious that they had have some out of state guys they are going after pretty hard too I believe.
Yes. Ben is a smart guy. I have to imagine Heide was a top target, but the staff knew they were playing from behind with him. Getting someone like Knight from Texas would help with the loss of Heide.

I still am curious what their back up plan is if Tre chooses MSU. Lipsey and King obviously went to ISU, we don't seem to be in with Richard Isaacs (Ben has offered him), so not sure the plan.

The Gophers didn’t offer Klay, didn’t really pursue Dainja for numerous reasons, and Race wasn’t highly recruited either (wasn’t the right choice but Pitino didn’t pursue hard).
Klay was not identified early by hardly anyone and by the time he blew up it was way too late as the Thompsons had a relationship with Bennett.

They were behind Tre, Watson, and Carrington for sure. Maybe even Lee too. The staff contacted them right away, but it’s obvious that they had their minds mostly made up. Still was good to get Heide to even agree to come visit before Purdue. They also have some out of state guys they are going after pretty hard too I believe.
Cam was only behind Tre on a wish list. On the reality scale your right.

Thanks for the reminders! Don't know how I forgot Coffey and Barber. Somehow I didn't know about Coughlin. I guess it's easier to remember the misses sometimes!

A couple of Olson brothers also and wasn't there some DE/LB named Coughlin?

Thanks for the reminders! Don't know how I forgot Coffey and Barber. Somehow I didn't know about Coughlin. I guess it's easier to remember the misses sometimes!
The data reveals that players from all over go all over the map.

Cam was only behind Tre on a wish list. On the reality scale your right.
Yeah and I don’t blame them for wishing for him either. I’m excited to see we like guys that Painter goes after and wants. This staff seems to be doing their due diligence with 2023 kids as well. Be fun to see them continue to identify the type of players that fit the system.

Yes. Ben is a smart guy. I have to imagine Heide was a top target, but the staff knew they were playing from behind with him. Getting someone like Knight from Texas would help with the loss of Heide.

I still am curious what their back up plan is if Tre chooses MSU. Lipsey and King obviously went to ISU, we don't seem to be in with Richard Isaacs (Ben has offered him), so not sure the plan.
Agreed. I wonder if they go portal shopping and hope to get a 2023 then?

Agreed. I wonder if they go portal shopping and hope to get a 2023 then?
Maybe, but I kind of hate that. That means you punted on getting a true PG two years in a row. All of a sudden you are in year 3 depending on a true freshman. Of course, it could be a multi-year transfer I suppose.

If Tre signs with MN, I could see them looking for a kid in the portal as a back up for sure.

Maybe, but I kind of hate that. That means you punted on getting a true PG two years in a row. All of a sudden you are in year 3 depending on a true freshman. Of course, it could be a multi-year transfer I suppose.

If Tre signs with MN, I could see them looking for a kid in the portal as a back up for sure.
Yeah I think they get one in the portal no matter what. I think to give themselves a shot against MSU, they need to offer Tre the keys. That meant only take a senior lead guard this year. I’m sure if they don’t get Tre they still go and try and get a 2022 lead guard too, but he may be the back up type while they find the starter in the portal. Either way, this was a Tre or must year at that position it seems. I don’t consider this year a true punt as they didn’t have a ton of options.

Yeah I think they get one in the portal no matter what. I think to give themselves a shot against MSU, they need to offer Tre the keys. That meant only take a senior lead guard this year. I’m sure if they don’t get Tre they still go and try and get a 2022 lead guard too, but he may be the back up type while they find the starter in the portal. Either way, this was a Tre or must year at that position it seems. I don’t consider this year a true punt as they didn’t have a ton of options.
Agreed with this all. It seems pretty purposeful at this point that all lead guard focus is on Tre unless he tells them no. And IF that happens, only then will we see what their back up plan has been.

I think this it for Ben’s kids. Nothing good to say about it and there won’t be transfers from NC or anything else crazy - just a bunch of mid tier and lower kids. Should be interesting.

You know you have a kick ass recruiting pedigree when an unranked player whom we offered and no other big offers has to make it clear on twitter that despite a great visit, he is not committed. Can't make it up.

You know you have a kick ass recruiting pedigree when an unranked player whom we offered and no other big offers has to make it clear on twitter that despite a great visit, he is not committed. Can't make it up.

Can't even win when we reach... But don't worry this 2022 class will be killer full of highly ranked MN kids.... LMFAO

Top Bottom