All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

You should probably send a memo to pro sports analysts who give draft grades. They won't actually know how a draft graded out until about 5 years down the line, so they probably shouldn't even talk about it until then, right? A large portion of sports talk is reckless speculation, it is what it is.
I don't mind speculation, but I'm tired of the doom and gloom and already declaring Johnson a bust

I get it, I wanted Craig Smith, Johnson wasn't even on my radar, but you know what, lets see where I take it

I do agree 2022 is an important class for Ben. He's not going to get everyone MN fans here want him to get, and that's ok. In end, he'll be judged on how well the class does once it's here

I don't mind speculation, but I'm tired of the doom and gloom and already declaring Johnson a bust

I get it, I wanted Craig Smith, Johnson wasn't even on my radar, but you know what, lets see where I take it

I do agree 2022 is an important class for Ben. He's not going to get everyone MN fans here want him to get, and that's ok. In end, he'll be judged on how well the class does once it's here
It will be that much sweeter when Ben Johnson looks into the camera after cutting down the nets of a final four victory and says, "San Diego Gopher doubted us, but now we're here!"

What did Harry Truman say? It’s easier to get a barn down than it is to build one. In other words, Ben’s being a failure is tracking at about 88% in 2021-2022. We MN fans have heard the coach excuses for 25 years and we will know quickly if Ben is different. I’ll admit Pitino was smooth and got 3 extra years for NOT blaming fans, the barn or the city.

I am pessimistic as they come. I'll post some shit to stir the proverbial pot now n then. But as I've said before once it was announced Ben was the coach I tempered all beliefs about what could be over the next few years. I'm expecting carrington and watson to be the headliners of this class.. great-no but a start.. 2023 and 2024 are the recruiting classes to watch. If we are still striking out then... We have serious issues..
Ben is so far behind the 8ball. He has 0 tape of him leading a squad. There is not a single recruit who is getting anything but lip service this year...he may have a plan. He may very well execute his plan flawlessly. But not being able to physically show what exactly that plan looks like, it's a hard sell to get these top tier kids to blindly believe, follow, and buy in on that plan

What did Harry Truman say? It’s easier to get a barn down than it is to build one. In other words, Ben’s being a failure is tracking at about 88% in 2021-2022. We MN fans have heard the coach excuses for 25 years and we will know quickly if Ben is different. I’ll admit Pitino was smooth and got 3 extra years for NOT blaming fans, the barn or the city.
He knew where is bread was buttered, and it likely did stave off his termination.

I am pessimistic as they come. I'll post some shit to stir the proverbial pot now n then. But as I've said before once it was announced Ben was the coach I tempered all beliefs about what could be over the next few years. I'm expecting carrington and watson to be the headliners of this class.. great-no but a start.. 2023 and 2024 are the recruiting classes to watch. If we are still striking out then... We have serious issues..
Ben is so far behind the 8ball. He has 0 tape of him leading a squad. There is not a single recruit who is getting anything but lip service this year...he may have a plan. He may very well execute his plan flawlessly. But not being able to physically show what exactly that plan looks like, it's a hard sell to get these top tier kids to blindly believe, follow, and buy in on that plan
That means the longer Tre doesn't announce the better chance we have a getting him.

Are you talking 'tape' of game action? Recruits are looking for a lot more 'tape' than that. Game action is not where a coach shows off their plan. Recruits want to see how a coach teaches. This is why so many recruits want to get on campus unofficially and officially to see a practice. It tells them how the coach will treat them as individuals, it shows how the team works together, and it helps a recruit know how they will be molded into a better player. Watching game film only tells part of the story.

Are you talking 'tape' of game action? Recruits are looking for a lot more 'tape' than that. Game action is not where a coach shows off their plan. Recruits want to see how a coach teaches. This is why so many recruits want to get on campus unofficially and officially to see a practice. It tells them how the coach will treat them as individuals, it shows how the team works together, and it helps a recruit know how they will be molded into a better player. Watching game film only tells part of the story.
Game film is big. I remember a number of recruits making comments about being shown game film of a successful player and the HC saying this is how I want to use you. That is pretty effective because it is tangible, it makes the recruit see his future as like the successful player (especially if that player is now in the NBA), it breaks through as real and not just coach speak. No offense but I don't thing a recruit would be more swayed by a practice than the technique I mentioned above.

Game film is big. I remember a number of recruits making comments about being shown game film of a successful player and the HC saying this is how I want to use you. That is pretty effective because it is tangible, it makes the recruit see his future as like the successful player (especially if that player is now in the NBA), it breaks through as real and not just coach speak. No offense but I don't thing a recruit would be more swayed by a practice than the technique I mentioned above.
I understand your point. I see game film for comparative style purpose differently than showing a coaches plan as stuck_in_scony purported as the coach isn't on display in game film. By all rights, a coach could use game film of any player they had ever coached (whether head coach or assistant) to demonstrate how they would use the recruit. In fact, one might use film of any player at any level at any time.

Mark Few certainly wasn't showing Chet Holmgren film of any player he's ever coached at Gonzaga as Chet is such a unique talent. Mark Few might have showed a little Durant or KG as a tall slender big who had handles and had a 'little' success at the next level.

I am NOT comparing Payne to Oturu but like Oturu he has gotten better every year since he was a freshman. If you would have seen him as a Freshman just going through the layup line you would say no way D1. To Payne’s credit he is a Power 5 player.
agreed! he has come a long ways! awesome to see! Glad we were one of hte first to get in on him

I'm very high on Payne. As mentioned by others, I see him on the same track as Oturu. Zeke Nnaji was the same way. Consistent improvement year over year and now both of those players are in the NBA.

I'm very high on Payne. As mentioned by others, I see him on the same track as Oturu. Zeke Nnaji was the same way. Consistent improvement year over year and now both of those players are in the NBA.

Does that make you a masochist? (or are all Gopher fans masochists because we continue to follow this program........?)

It’s a bad sign that the unranked, never heard of recruit (until a few weeks ago) is now being compared to NBA draft picks. Expectations for this program are really dropping.

It’s a bad sign that the unranked, never heard of recruit (until a few weeks ago) is now being compared to NBA draft picks. Expectations for this program are really dropping.
Payne is gonna be ranked by the end of summer and hes gonna pick up alot more offers once more schools see him. Hes outplayed Ahjany Lee both times they've played this summer. Paynes the best big in state imo.

Does it hurt Payne at all that he plays for Park CG? (sorry, there will only ever be one "Park", and that's St Lous Park)

Or does school ball not matter that much?

Would think he could easily play or have played for East Ridge or Woodbury, in the same district, if that was a thing. No idea if those school teams are better, but ER is one of those wealthy suburban schools that are good at everything?

Payne is gonna be ranked by the end of summer and hes gonna pick up alot more offers once more schools see him. Hes outplayed Ahjany Lee both times they've played this summer. Paynes the best big in state imo.
They rank hundreds of players. Just curious to about how high you have him. Top 50 ?

Do you think that Lee is overrated, or is Payne just really good?

Payne top 150 I would guess next ranking. His brother played at East Ridge this year solid player they played against each other. It’s 2021 if you are good they will find you.

Kids develop differently. Payne didn’t play nationally for AAU last year and he’s just improved a ton. Big kids develop slower sometimes. It’s not a knock or a negative. He will have a ranking in the top 150 by the end of the summer.

Does it hurt Payne at all that he plays for Park CG? (sorry, there will only ever be one "Park", and that's St Lous Park)

Or does school ball not matter that much?

Would think he could easily play or have played for East Ridge or Woodbury, in the same district, if that was a thing. No idea if those school teams are better, but ER is one of those wealthy suburban schools that are good at everything?
They would have to change addresses or sit out a year now that he’s played Varsity. Park plays in a big enough conference where he wouldn’t just not get recognized. He’s just continued to develop and get better

Top Bottom