All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

Some 2nd tier players develop a lot their senior year and turn into tier 1 players JP Maccura. Nate Reuvers are some that we didn’t show any interest till it was to late

Some 2nd tier players develop a lot their senior year and turn into tier 1 players JP Maccura. Nate Reuvers are some that we didn’t show any interest till it was to late
And some start as second tier guys and develop into third tier guys like Davison. Sorry, I had to.

IMHO, part of the reason that Pitino got heat for not getting more MN players was this:

If the team is winning, people are less likely to complain.

But if the team is losing, that's when the complaints come out. so, when the team struggled, and the issues with the bench were noted, that's when people hit on the in-state recruiting. I am not saying that having a couple more in-state players on the bench would have made a big difference - but it would have given people one less thing to complain about.

Again, I want the Gophers to sign the best players they can land. But, when it comes to the 6 through 10 guys on the roster, given a choice, I would rather see MN kids there as opposed to some guy from Ohio or wherever.

yes they do, but that does not mean you give them a roster spot for three years hoping that they develop into a contributor. They are the type you try to get to transfer back home for the one productive year.

The U will not be competitive in the B1G by recruiting 2nd or 3rd tier players that will only competitive in the B1G their senior year.

yes they do, but that does not mean you give them a roster spot for three years hoping that they develop into a contributor. They are the type you try to get to transfer back home for the one productive year.

The U will not be competitive in the B1G by recruiting 2nd or 3rd tier players that will only competitive in the B1G their senior year.
Not being critical, just curious as to what you think 2nd tier players are ? Do they have rankings below 100 ? Do they lack elite program offers ? Enjoy discussion with you as we see things so differently.

Not being critical, just curious as to what you think 2nd tier players are ? Do they have rankings below 100 ? Do they lack elite program offers ? Enjoy discussion with you as we see things so differently.
Just using the criteria that the other poster had used in that they can contribute in their senior season. As you have pointed out on several occasions, proper scouting and coaching can see the potential in some players that others can not. I was just trying to point out that recruiting lower level players just because they are from Minnesota is not going to make the U competitive in the B1G.

Just using the criteria that the other poster had used in that they can contribute in their senior season. As you have pointed out on several occasions, proper scouting and coaching can see the potential in some players that others can not. I was just trying to point out that recruiting lower level players just because they are from Minnesota is not going to make the U competitive in the B1G.
Agree. Thank you.

The fact he is announcing now makes me think its a lock he goes to Purdue. Just hasnt had enough time to build a relationship with Johnson and without seeing one game seems unlikely he would commit here.

Honest question, I keep getting the feeling '22 (and not to go big hyperbole) but Johnsons tenure overall is going to be decided by Tre Holloman. Anyone else get that vibe or am I off? Just feels like he is kind of the guy everyone looks to and a commitment from him might make for an amazing '22 class/future, but him not coming here would sour a lot of people and we would be in for a rough time. Again, maybe thats putting too much stock into 1 kid but Tre seems like that kind of leader that kids would latch onto and follow either way.

The fact he is announcing now makes me think its a lock he goes to Purdue. Just hasnt had enough time to build a relationship with Johnson and without seeing one game seems unlikely he would commit here.

Honest question, I keep getting the feeling '22 (and not to go big hyperbole) but Johnsons tenure overall is going to be decided by Tre Holloman. Anyone else get that vibe or am I off? Just feels like he is kind of the guy everyone looks to and a commitment from him might make for an amazing '22 class/future, but him not coming here would sour a lot of people and we would be in for a rough time. Again, maybe thats putting too much stock into 1 kid but Tre seems like that kind of leader that kids would latch onto and follow either way.
I can understand a concern on missing out on heide and holloman, but they may have never been realistic targets due to the relationships they had built with other coaches prior to Johnson's arrival. His priority should be players like carrington and others who may not be elite, but have potential of quickly developing into effective players in the B1G.

I don’t think getting or not getting Tre is going to dictate what happens with Ben’s job now or in the future as one player is not going to determine if he is or isn’t successful, but I do think there may be a little panic if Tre chooses MSU instead. We are right there in it. I do think getting him brings a lot of excitement to the program from fans and he probably does get others to follow him. He’s a winner and leader and I’m sure there are recruits that would love to follow him (hopefully that includes Lee, Watson, and Carrington and eventually Winter).

Painter putting in work

I think once Heide commits to Purdue you will see a good solid shooting wing player commit to the Gophers.. imo

I am glad Cam commited early and did not drag it out I think it’s beneficial to the Gophers. Time to move to who is next on the list.. Johnson has been offering lots of wing players so he should be prepared
Speaking of next on the list, anybody know the players who would be next for the PG position in case Tre chooses MSU?

Pretty much. To bring a guy in almost totally based on local recruiting and whiff on the top players is a terrible sign.

Top Bottom