All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

The thing is, if you follow Ryan James, he makes it sound like every player he evaluates is a can't-miss prospect.

I've watched the Loge kid play, and in my book, he would have to get a lot stronger to play at the B1G level. He's got some ability, but he doesn't dominate at his current level. at a high-major school he would probably have to play PF, and I don't know if he shoots well enough from outside.

if you're going to play in the paint in the B1G at 6'8" you had better be a beast.

The thing is, if you follow Ryan James, he makes it sound like every player he evaluates is a can't-miss prospect.

I've watched the Loge kid play, and in my book, he would have to get a lot stronger to play at the B1G level. He's got some ability, but he doesn't dominate at his current level. at a high-major school he would probably have to play PF, and I don't know if he shoots well enough from outside.

if you're going to play in the paint in the B1G at 6'8" you had better be a beast.
Has RJ said that MN should offer Loge or that he’s high major offer worthy?

How do you figure that?
because I am unable to tell the difference between wayzata players whose first names are 2 syllables starting with the letter “c” and last names ending with the letter “e”.

True. It's like Mike Tyson once said: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." That's what can happen in the Big Ten- even to a pretty good coach, when you can't get enough talent to compete. The plan fails.
I liked Leroy Hoards plan better. He really knew the type of ball player he was and what he could execute. “If you need two yards, I’ll get you three. If you need four yards, I’ll get you three.” The man had a plan!

Not to rip on the kid or his dad.

Going on a tangent here. But it reminds me of that 1996 recruiting class. Loge, Russ A, and Kyle Sanden. Awful recruiting class for where it look like the program was on the up and up

Because...
He has not heard from any programs that successful. They have seen him. Spaulding will try and reference skin pigmentation but ignoring Tucker,Harris, Flower,Hayes, Ford and on and including native americans. He actually thinks they offer only people with lighter skin.

Has RJ said that MN should offer Loge or that he’s high major offer worthy?
I believe he has him in that second tier with Payne and Omot with Payne probably ahead of the other two.

What I am curious about is if/when they miss on any of they top 5 kids, do they focus on Loge, Payne, and Omot (non of which have offers, but are talking with Ben and Thorson) or do they focus more on the kids from out of state that have already been offered.

It’s going to get interesting around here if Johnson lands a big MN class for 2022, but they’re all 2nd and 3rd tier players. I don’t think that would be what the fan base was expecting from Coyle’s promise of “keeping MN players here.”

It’s going to get interesting around here if Johnson lands a big MN class for 2022, but they’re all 2nd and 3rd tier players. I don’t think that would be what the fan base was expecting from Coyle’s promise of “keeping MN players here.”
It will get "interesting", in that fans will look at disgust towards Coyle and Gable, if BJ is still losing games in 2022-23 and 23-24 like he's going to in 21-22.

If he starts winning though, that will take care of it.

I think part of what doomed Pitino was not building brand loyalty in MN by ignoring local 2nd and 3rd tier players and filling the roster with similar national and international players. 2nd and 3rd tier players who play together with pride and in system can win some games and set the stage for recruiting future 1st tier players. The fan base is expecting Johnson to build a program with a solid foundation.

I think part of what doomed Pitino was not building brand loyalty in MN by ignoring local 2nd and 3rd tier players and filling the roster with similar national and international players. 2nd and 3rd tier players who play together with pride and in system can win some games and set the stage for recruiting future 1st tier players. The fan base is expecting Johnson to build a program with a solid foundation.
Exactly. Plus this is a deep class. If these 2nd and 3rd tier players are not at MN, they’re probably at another high major. Obviously there are the 5 top players they are focusing on and it would be great to land all 5 (fingers and toes crossed and I do think they land some of them), but not like these 2nd and 3rd tier players can’t help make this a winning program.

Exactly. Plus this is a deep class. If these 2nd and 3rd tier players are not at MN, they’re probably at another high major. Obviously there are the 5 top players they are focusing on and it would be great to land all 5 (fingers and toes crossed and I do think they land some of them), but not like these 2nd and 3rd tier players can’t help make this a winning program.
I dont agree with this. The 2nd and 3rd tier will prob be D1 but def not high major. This class is deep with D1 talent 10-20 kids could possibly go D1 but High major talent is closer to 5-7 players

Bingo. While I completely agree with posters that say.....go sign players from wherever you can get them.....there's something to be said for keeping players home.....and brand loyalty plays into that. Younger players in the state see these D1 players, whether they are five star guys or three star guys with just a handful of offers, as they themselves are coming up. I would think that keeping those guys at the U could go a ways in encouraging the higher caliber players to stay home as well.

Not to mention that keeping guys in state could help drive ticket sales. Can't hurt to have local fanbases come to see their high school stars at the barn. Better attendance....sellouts.....can also lead to higher likelihood of getting better players.

Bingo. While I completely agree with posters that say.....go sign players from wherever you can get them.....there's something to be said for keeping players home.....and brand loyalty plays into that. Younger players in the state see these D1 players, whether they are five star guys or three star guys with just a handful of offers, as they themselves are coming up. I would think that keeping those guys at the U could go a ways in encouraging the higher caliber players to stay home as well.

Not to mention that keeping guys in state could help drive ticket sales. Can't hurt to have local fanbases come to see their high school stars at the barn. Better attendance....sellouts.....can also lead to higher likelihood of getting better players.
Kids don't care if it's sold out... Kids want to win....

I dont agree with this. The 2nd and 3rd tier will prob be D1 but def not high major. This class is deep with D1 talent 10-20 kids could possibly go D1 but High major talent is closer to 5-7 players
There's 12 with p5 offers right now.

Last edited:

There's 12 with p5 offers right now.
Yes, and this is what I meant - P5. Marquette and Iowa State have reached out to a number of the kids. Omot is visiting one of the Big East schools soon. There is interest in a lot of these MN HS players.

Yes, and this is what I meant - P5. Marquette and Iowa State have reached out to a number of the kids. Omot is visiting one of the Big East schools soon. There is interest in a lot of these MN HS players.
Honestly this is one of the best years in memory for Ben to clear the decks for scholarships. It's not out of the realm of possibility to end up with 4+ MN guys.

Top Bottom