All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

There was a post of Gopher offers and some said warm and some said cool.
Ah, I believe that is the guys who do the rankings predicting if the player is seriously considering accepting the offer or has no interest in it.

A few additional comments from James:

Here's the write up. I was told Watson still has to set his up. Not sure at all on Heide, hoping to have an answer on that later today. For Heide and Watson it's not an if, it's a when.

He is not (regarding Aligbe being part of the top group). I'm sure soon they will start having a second group come by. Guys like Prince Aligbe, BJ Omot, Pharrel Payne, Joshua-Ola Joseph, etc. Maybe Jackson Loge.

As would I (regarding prioritization by CBJ of Heide and Watson over Aligbe). Watson is bigger, longer, more explosive, more skilled and his ceiling is huge.
Aligbe outplayed Heide this year, no getting around that. However, Heide's skills are far ahead of what Prince is skill wise and that's a big deal here.

Who are they looking at at Center: Dominick Campbell is a physical monster at 240lb, Ahjany Lee is approaching 6'10, Danny Wolf is 6'10. These players are listed at PF everywhere but they will most likely play a lot of five in college. Liam Robbins like size? I haven't see a player come across the board like that. But I imagine their five will be listed as a four. Like Treyton Thompson is often listed as a four, but he's going to be playing a lot of five.

I agree but I can see a lot of those guys playing together. For example, you could easily play Heide and Watson together. You could take Lee and Wolf and pair them together. I'd agree on say Holloman and Lipsey for example, you aren't taking both of them if that option was still available. But with the bigs and the wings, I think you can take pairs. Especially Watson who is big enough, long enough to be a stretch four.

I suppose her being proud doesn't necessarily mean she wants him to be a Gopher, but it's an encouraging tweet nonetheless. I like our chances.
I like how many guys Ben is bringing to campus so quickly! They are all coming it seems. Whether he gets them or not, who knows but getting them to campus is a big deal. #optimistic

For many kids in Milwaukee, Beloit and Madison we heard this from our high school counselors. ‘UW? Have you considered UWM or Marquette? What about Parkside?’
"Milwaukee, Beloit and Madison"
One of these things is not like the other, one of these just doesn't belong...

Just takes one to get the ball rolling... Can’t wait for this class. Just the idea of Holloman, Watson, Carrington and a couple of the others playing together makes me smile.

Just takes one to get the ball rolling... Can’t wait for this class. Just the idea of Holloman, Watson, Carrington and a couple of the others playing together makes me smile.
Ya, there is a lot of targets. Be nice to get somebody local and in the top tier early to start the snowball effect.

Q&A: MN Prep Academy's DJ Jefferson on recent Gophers visit​

Minnesota Prep Academy Class of 2022 wing DJ Jefferson visited the Gophers basketball coaching staff this week. The Gophers plan on watching him live in July before deciding whether to extend him an official scholarship offer.

Jefferson recapped with KSTP Sports how his Minnesota visit was, and touched on how his overall recruiting is going.

A native of Texas, Jefferson transitioned to St. Paul to play for Minnesota Prep Academy this school year. He's also gained experience with Howard Pulley on the AAU circuit, and mentioned playing with a different team in July.

Go Gophers!!

Ryan James was on KFAN with Gaard on Sunday. Said Holloman and Johnson had a "very positive" reaction after Holloman's visit. Said Carrington really likes the U's facilities, because he wants to have close access to a gym for shooting.

Mentioned Ahjany Lee as someone the Gophers have renewed interest in.

James said he expects to start hearing about commitments in "mid-summer."

James also noted that, in addition to hitting the in-state kids, the Gophers are getting interest from a number of out-state players. And he said they are still working on a couple of big men candidates through the transfer portal, and hope to land at least one more.

Ryan James was on KFAN with Gaard on Sunday. Said Holloman and Johnson had a "very positive" reaction after Holloman's visit. Said Carrington really likes the U's facilities, because he wants to have close access to a gym for shooting.

James also noted that, in addition to hitting the in-state kids, the Gophers are getting interest from a number of out-state players. And he said they are still working on a couple of big men candidates through the transfer portal, and hope to land at least one more.
Anything on Watson or Heidi?

Had a chance to listen this morning on my drive to work. I like what he had to say about all 5 players. Sounds like the Gophers are right in it with all of them and he said nobody is working harder on each of them than this staff. Both Gaard and James said they could just line them up and there’s your future lineup, but as of right now, they are recruiting them more individually and making them 1a, b, c, d, e priorities. The playing time is there for all of them.

As you said, there are out of state kids that are very interested as well and will be visiting. He’ll take 5-6 freshman. Doesn’t sound like they are prioritizing the tier 2 players in MN right now but obviously could change.

Heide visits tomorrow, Lee today. He touched on Watson but didn’t have much to say on air. From what James has said on his site, we sit really good there too.

found this on Twitter:

What did 2022 four-star in-state big man Ahjany Lee think of his #Gophers visit yesterday?
@RyanJamesMN

has the details. "I really liked the visit. They have a really strong plan for the future."

There is a plan!
If there is a plan but I am not informed of it, then there is no plan 😎. Ben just told Ahjany to tweet that so Gopher Holers would back off and give him a little more time to come up with a plan.

Top Bottom