All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I have been spending way too much time checking Gopherhole for updates on everything, but what I am most interested in now is the 2022 class. Does anybody know who Johnson may be making a priority right now? I am excited to hear about the MN guys and know we have been on Holloman, King, and Heide. Wondering if we are in a good place with them and I also really like Lee, Watson-Saulsberry, and Aligbe. I also just watches some highlights of DJ Jefferson and he seems legit. I guess I just named most of the top rated, but I wonder what others think about them and if Blue, Wilson, and Nnaji are highly thought of. Also, if Pitino and Co. weren't in a good place with some of these guys I hope Johnson has enough time to make a great impression.

I have been spending way too much time checking Gopherhole for updates on everything, but what I am most interested in now is the 2022 class. Does anybody know who Johnson may be making a priority right now? I am excited to hear about the MN guys and know we have been on Holloman, King, and Heide. Wondering if we are in a good place with them and I also really like Lee, Watson-Saulsberry, and Aligbe. I also just watches some highlights of DJ Jefferson and he seems legit. I guess I just named most of the top rated, but I wonder what others think about them and if Blue, Wilson, and Nnaji are highly thought of. Also, if Pitino and Co. weren't in a good place with some of these guys I hope Johnson has enough time to make a great impression.
Also Braeden Carrington

I know it's important to recruit nationally, but 2022 is the perfect time to reverse the trend and show that MN kids belong as Gophers.

Tre Holloman, Cam Heide, Eli King would be massive in bringing this program back to Big Ten and national relevancy. That'd be a hell of a guard/wing haul in a single recruiting class. I feel as if those 3 should be the highest priorities, while also pushing for Ahjany Lee and Demarion Watson.

I know it's important to recruit nationally, but 2022 is the perfect time to reverse the trend and show that MN kids belong as Gophers.

Tre Holloman, Cam Heide, Eli King would be massive in bringing this program back to Big Ten and national relevancy. That'd be a hell of a guard/wing haul in a single recruiting class. I feel as if those 3 should be the highest priorities, while also pushing for Ahjany Lee and Demarion Watson.
Absolutely yes. That's probably the top 5. Guessing Holloman is his top priority.

I know Ryan James loves Carrington as well. I feel good about all of them (that Ben has a chance to land them), except Heide. Feels like we have ground to make up with Purdue leading.

Curious to hear people’s thoughts on Aligbe. Noticed he’s dropped quite a bit in the rankings over the last couple years, had watched him a while ago and really liked his game. Any reason for the drop? How do people feel about him?

Curious to hear people’s thoughts on Aligbe. Noticed he’s dropped quite a bit in the rankings over the last couple years, had watched him a while ago and really liked his game. Any reason for the drop? How do people feel about him?
He could have dropped because of his jump shot, slow decision making, not the greatest hands. The guy grew pretty quick and some of these issues probably came from that. Some nights he's on and that jumper falls. I want him on the Gophers, hard worker, very athletic, I think he'll keep getting better

I have watched Aligbe about 15 times. Some games you are like wow this kid is top 50.... other times you grabe the program to make sure he is out there. The jumper needs work real flat. In his defense he has been behind Suggs and Chet and Hercy at times not easy this year should be his time to shine. He is a tough one to figure out. Athletic and unselfish but needs more consistency. IMO. I hope he is a Gopher..

I actually like him quite a bit. I think he is one of those players who has a very high floor. He is athletic enough to defend multiple positions. At the very worst, I think he will be a big wing who can defend, hustle and run the court. If his offense comes a bit more, I think he has NBA potential.

Another guy that I am higher on in that class than others is Willie Wilson. His game against Suggs and Minnehaha last year was incredibly impressive.

I’m not all that impressed with him. Seems like a hard worker and great athlete but Im not sure he’s skilled enough to play in the big ten.

Last edited:

I actually like him quite a bit. I think he is one of those players who has a very high floor. He is athletic enough to defend multiple positions. At the very worst, I think he will be a big wing who can defend, hustle and run the court. If his offense comes a bit more, I think he has NBA potential.

Another guy that I am higher on in that class than others is Willie Wilson. His game against Suggs and Minnehaha last year was incredibly impressive.
I like Willie Wilson. He’s a tough kid.

I just see Aligbe as another athlete who doesn’t have the skill set to play in the big ten. I wouldn’t be mad if we signed him but I just want skilled players who can knock down open jumpers. I’m tired of the “let’s find athletes and groom them into ball players”.

I just see Aligbe as another athlete who doesn’t have the skill set to play in the big ten. I wouldn’t be mad if we signed him but I just want skilled players who can knock down open jumpers. I’m tired of the “let’s find athletes and groom them into ball players”.

I hear you, we need shooters. We also have had a profound lack of athletic wings. That kind of puts a spotlight on how bad our roster has been. We have had a profound lack of shooters and athletic wings over the last few years. Not a good mix.

for the guys that have seen Wilson play....is he more PG or SG? And how is his shooting? The 2 or3 times i have seen him play he was just may more athletic and quicker then the teams he was playing to he got to the rim basically anytime he wanted

Your description reminds me of how I saw Jarvis O and Rodney Williams in high school. Turns out there is a basic level of skill needed to play in the Big 10 as all of the players are relatively athletic.

for the guys that have seen Wilson play....is he more PG or SG? And how is his shooting? The 2 or3 times i have seen him play he was just may more athletic and quicker then the teams he was playing to he got to the rim basically anytime he wanted
Wilson is okay to me. I don't see him as a Big Ten Caliber player. He received that Florida offer 2 years ago but so did half of his Grassroots teams so I take that with a grain of salt. He is talented but I don't see him as a high major kid

Aligbe would be a real solid get for the Gophs. He plays hard and is a high level athlete. The Omersa comparison is not really fair, nor is the Rodney one, for different reasons. I view Prince as more skilled than both of them, not quite as athletic as Rodney, but with a high motor. By Rodney's senior year he was pretty good; I'd take something along those lines yet again but I think Prince can contribute right away.

Aligbe would be a real solid get for the Gophs. He plays hard and is a high level athlete. The Omersa comparison is not really fair, nor is the Rodney one, for different reasons. I view Prince as more skilled than both of them, not quite as athletic as Rodney, but with a high motor. By Rodney's senior year he was pretty good; I'd take something along those lines yet again but I think Prince can contribute right away.
I think Rodney is a great comparison both have bodies of Wings but are kind of undersized 4s who can't make the 3 consistently. Prince's motor is higher than Rodney but like Rodney he disappears offensively. Also like Rodney he can look like a first round draft pick at times. Also people undersell Rodney's value here. He was a solid 4 year player and if there was better player development he may have reached his potential.

Last edited:

Has anyone seen Watson-Saulsberry play? Wondering what his game is like, I really know nothing about him but seems like he's been trending up.

Has anyone seen Watson-Saulsberry play? Wondering what his game is like, I really know nothing about him but seems like he's been trending up.
He is similar to Prince but has more guard skills and is less athletic

Wilson is okay to me. I don't see him as a Big Ten Caliber player. He received that Florida offer 2 years ago but so did half of his Grassroots teams so I take that with a grain of salt. He is talented but I don't see him as a high major kid

Been some real "questionable" offers to players coming from that program...

Top Bottom