All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

I hear you, we need shooters. We also have had a profound lack of athletic wings. That kind of puts a spotlight on how bad our roster has been. We have had a profound lack of shooters and athletic wings over the last few years. Not a good mix.
Yeah it’s not a good mix, that’s for sure. I always loved Hoffarber. Not athletic but man could he get the barn going with a couple 30 footers in a row. I remember he had 26 against Purdue when they were top ten and just stole the show.

Wilson is okay to me. I don't see him as a Big Ten Caliber player. He received that Florida offer 2 years ago but so did half of his Grassroots teams so I take that with a grain of salt. He is talented but I don't see him as a high major kid
I agree with all of this. He’s a tough kid and good player but not high major.

Aligbe would be a real solid get for the Gophs. He plays hard and is a high level athlete. The Omersa comparison is not really fair, nor is the Rodney one, for different reasons. I view Prince as more skilled than both of them, not quite as athletic as Rodney, but with a high motor. By Rodney's senior year he was pretty good; I'd take something along those lines yet again but I think Prince can contribute right away.
I have watched him play several times and I’ve had to look at the program to find which kid he is. He can be a ghost. He’s had a couple nice breakaway dunks and blocks etc. but never makes a game changing offensive play. Just curious, what have you seen that makes you think he can instantly contribute? Offensive rebounds? Lockdown defense?

Yeah it’s not a good mix, that’s for sure. I always loved Hoffarber. Not athletic but man could he get the barn going with a couple 30 footers in a row. I remember he had 26 against Purdue when they were top ten and just stole the show.

He was actually more skilled than people gave him credit for too. His non-scoring stats were pretty solid (comparable to Nate Mason, Dupree McBrayer, etc.

I have watched him play several times and I’ve had to look at the program to find which kid he is. He can be a ghost. He’s had a couple nice breakaway dunks and blocks etc. but never makes a game changing offensive play. Just curious, what have you seen that makes you think he can instantly contribute? Offensive rebounds? Lockdown defense?
He plays hard and is a better shooter than people give him credit for. He played on a team with 2 future top 3 picks; easy to get lost in that shuffle. I don't think he's a day 1 starter but I think he can play and contribute as a 3 and D wing.

I like Willie Wilson. He’s a tough kid.

I just see Aligbe as another athlete who doesn’t have the skill set to play in the big ten. I wouldn’t be mad if we signed him but I just want skilled players who can knock down open jumpers. I’m tired of the “let’s find athletes and groom them into ball players”.
I don't know if I see it with Willie. Small, streaky jumper, he is pretty quick. I can see why Minnesota hasn't, they still could but we'll see

Aligbe looked good on the Timberwolves court last year vs Sierra Canyon. Maybe he benifits from the bigger court overall?

Yeah, most schools have minimum requirements for getting in, but Ole Miss has maximum requirements, so if Ole Miss wants him, he must not be that smart.

Reminds me of a half time episode of the TNT NBA show with Barkley, Kenny, and Ernie back in 2007.

John Thompson Jr. brought the Georgetown team (right before their final four appearance) into the studio at halftime. The coach told Barkley that one of his players was from a town very close to where Barkley grew up in Alabama.

Barkley said to the player: "Son, why didn't you go to Auburn!"

Kenny answered: "He couldn't get in. His grades were too good."

I don't know if I see it with Willie. Small, streaky jumper, he is pretty quick. I can see why Minnesota hasn't, they still could but we'll see
I agree. I don’t see him in a power conference but a good mid major player potential.

GI's having a free VIP day if anyone wanted to check it out. Not a ton on the basketball side that we haven't sleuthed out or discussed over here. One thing that stuck out though is how hard Izzo still is after Holloman despite how loaded and young their backcourt is. Transfer PG Tyson Walker is at least a 2 year player plus a potential COVID year, combo guard AJ Hoggard has 3-4 years, PG Jaden Akins is an incoming freshman, SG Max Christie (incoming freshman) is probably at least a 2 year guy. With the portal, it makes sense that they would keep all options open but Tre is a lead guard that I think is most impactful with the ball in his hands, not sure he's gonna have that opportunity at Michigan State with Akins viewed as PG of the future. Playing time would be a tough sell even for Izzo.

Demarion Watson has made sense as a first 2022 class commit to me, checks a lot of Johnson's boxes as a 3 and D wing with the frame to bulk up and play some small ball 4 but the staff seem to be in a good place with Braeden Carrington too. Whenever I've thought about mock classes for 2022, Carrington seemed like a lock in any scenario as a potential 4 year shooter, a good program mainstay that would mesh well with any of your other potential targets. Probably one to keep an eye on as we get into the summer months. Really hoping those two are future Gophers.

As a reflection of what some have said on here, all around I think there's reason for optimism on Camden Heide which shouldn't be understated. Purdue will still be serious competition for him but I think the consensus is he's really taken to the new staff. Not sure there's a ton out there about Eli King as he's kept his cards close to the vest but he's no doubt a top target. Ahjany Lee is rightfully the clear cut top front court target, tough to get a read on him.

I've thought about taking the GI plunge and probably will soon but I would say it's worth it for someone who's more invested in the football program, I'm generally a critic of the setup but Burns is very active and responsive to those with questions from what I've seen. Never been a fan of paywalling things like visits and what a particular recruit's top schools are as these are things that other sites speak about on free podcasts but seems like a good politics free community overall.

yeah not great....Iowa St should not be a threat but here we are

So who are our preferred in state recruits this class?

Holloman
Ahjany Lee
Watson-Saulsberry
Heide
Aligbe

Then Eli King who is gone?

Tier two?

Willie Wilson
Carrington
Chase Carter
Elvis Nnaji

So who are our preferred in state recruits this class?

Holloman
Ahjany Lee
Watson-Saulsberry
Heide
Aligbe

Then Eli King who is gone?

Tier two?

Willie Wilson
Carrington
Chase Carter
Elvis Nnaji
I would be highly disappointed if we chose the tier 2 group over someone from out of state with more talent. None of those kids are Big Ten Players. Carrington is the closest because of his shooting ability. The first 5 you listed should be our priority and we should look for players from other areas if we are going past that group

Yeah, I can see that assessment of Willie.

What I like about him is that he is just tough. In the game against Suggs, he absolutely did not back down. Suggs is a really physical PG and Wilson went at him and even got under Suggs' skin a bit. He kind of reminds me of Lawrence Westbrook - maybe more pure PG skills.

I would be highly disappointed if we chose the tier 2 group over someone from out of state with more talent. None of those kids are Big Ten Players. Carrington is the closest because of his shooting ability. The first 5 you listed should be our priority and we should look for players from other areas if we are going past that group
I agree.

This first class of recruits should be MN heavy. Even if it's artificially MN heavy.

3/4 have Minnesota offers already. Not sure if he re-offered Elvis or Carter.

3/4 have Minnesota offers already. Not sure if he re-offered Elvis or Carter.
Chase Carter definitely isnt a Big Ten player. He can't even get off the bench in high school with his dad as a coach. Elvis isn't a very skilled player

Top Bottom