All Things Gophers Basketball Class of 2022 Recruiting Thread

RJ said we are in a good place with him right now. Same with Heide and Aligbe. This staff is doing their due diligence on these guys.

I think this staff works really hard to get local kids. Not all local kids are recruited as heavily. Pitino made an interesting comment pre-game at the Gopher insider deal before the Penn State game. "We won't get all local kids, we don't WANT all the local kids" which I think people miss.

Obviously he wanted Tyus and Tre, Hurt, etc. but some kids don't fit here, some kids simply don't want to stay here. Pitino is going to land some more kids, hopefully Heide, Walton, Holloman and Aligbe.

Is it too early to predict the next Gopher miss?

Prove me wrong, Richard.

Is it too early to predict the next Gopher miss?

Prove me wrong, Richard.

Provided the Gophers are truly focused on getting him on the team, what if the kid really wants to go someplace else and basically tells the Gophers, the only way you'll get me to play at home is if you're willing to pay me $$$ under the table and guarantee me a starting position, even if I don't necessarily earn it as a freshman? Will that be considered a miss?

I watched this kid a few times this season.
My son goes to this school. Athletic kid

Provided the Gophers are truly focused on getting him on the team, what if the kid really wants to go someplace else and basically tells the Gophers, the only way you'll get me to play at home is if you're willing to pay me $$$ under the table and guarantee me a starting position, even if I don't necessarily earn it as a freshman? Will that be considered a miss?
That is disturbingly out of left field. Credit where credit is due, though: it's an all-purpose excuse that can be pulled out and used any time, over and over, to explain why your program can't compete.

From all accounts, a great kid, great family, excellent student, and athletic to go along with his skills. I'd be hunting him hard.

'He's a step ahead of everyone else': Caledonia's Eli King the next big thing in southern Minnesota

To many, the 6-feet-3, 175-pound Eli is the latest, greatest athletic star in southeastern Minnesota. Or at least on the brink of becoming that. College scouts suggest that local fans are right in their assessment of Eli.

He’s already been offered football scholarships by Minnesota and Iowa and is being looked at by a bunch of Division I colleges in basketball, including the Gophers and Hawkeyes.

For further proof of his excellence, just examine what he did this school year, turning in electric seasons in football and basketball.

SOMETHING SPECIAL
As a wide receiver, Eli used his size, leaping ability, hands, deceptive speed and dynamic ability to change direction to finish with 958 yards receiving and 21 touchdowns. He was also a standout defensive back and kick returner for the Warriors, who won their fifth consecutive state championship and upped their winning streak to 68 games.

“Eli has an ability to cut like no other,” Caledonia football coach Carl Fruechte said. “He puts that foot down, makes a cut and he’s gone. Nobody caught him all season.”

In the just-completed basketball season, Eli soared for 46 dunks. That included one where he literally leaped over the top of a player and hammered it home. That drew a charging call, but it had the crowd in a tizzy as he showed off his massive vertical leap. When the season was done, he’d averaged 16 points per game, shooting 65 percent from the field, including 35 percent on 3-pointers.

He was also good for 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks per game and was a defensive menace.

“The type of athlete that Eli is, you just don’t see them around here,” longtime St. Charles basketball coach Terry Knothe said. “He’s fast, he’s a quick jumper, he’s long and he’s strong. Then you throw in his instincts, which are remarkable. He just has it. He’s seemingly always a step ahead of everyone else.”

Go Gophers!!

Post Bulletin folk will be at a lot more Caledonia games in the near future given the lack of high-end talent in the Rochester area and the desire to be at the forefront of King's ascension.

I'll say this, he's a terrific athlete. He was a dead eye shooter as an 8th/9th grader though his percentages this year weren't as high. Without seeing him play more than a few times, I wonder if it is due to his physical development because he's obviously gotten a lot bigger and stronger. I wouldn't question his ability to improve, as there's something about the people down there in Caledonia where they just grind. And from what it seems like, basketball really is life in the King household. His brothers were grinders and exceptionally smart basketball players. He's significantly more athletic than either Owen or Noah. He isn't as cerebral as either of them at this point - though he's certainly got plenty of basketball feel unlike a lot of uber-talented youngsters.

I'm intrigued to see how he progresses this summer. I'm not sure what grassroots team he is playing with. He was playing up two age levels with the Comets the last two years. It wouldn't surprise me if he jumped on board with one of the even bigger shoe orgs to challenge himself a little more given he'll always have that stigma of beating up on SE MN competition.

Rochester paper reports Stanford just offered Eli King for basketball. Pitino has had one on one conversation with him.

The Gopher Report
@MinnesotaRivals

·
14m

2022 5-star guard Skyy Clark gets an offer from his "hometown school" Minnesota
@CoachDavidSisk
talks with Clark's father, Kenny, about his son's recruiting process and roots in Minneapolis:
Interesting, I did some diggin just now on what connection he had to MN, and I guess his dad played for the vikings in the early 2000s for a few years? Can't say I remember him, but also it says that his dad's cousin is Daunte Culpepper

Post #35 ... look at how high Eli King is off the floor!!! He is almost at the defenders waist!! And it may not be the top of his jump lol Wow!!
In my "shooter" "shooter" prime, if there was a trampoline built into the floor of the court, I promise I could not ever have gotten half that high!

Rochester paper reports Stanford just offered Eli King for basketball. Pitino has had one on one conversation with him.
Is Stanford a better program than us? Do you know he’s had just one conversation with Pitino? How so?

Is Stanford a better program than us? Do you know he’s had just one conversation with Pitino? How so?
Hard to say, this Century they have 4 sweet 16's and a elite 8. Recruited very well for 2020 . We can not compete if academics are the deciding point all depending on what he wants to study of course. The reality is very few ever even get the chance to go there. Perhaps his dream program is Minnesota.

A

One conversation and a one on one conversation are not the same. Unless it was one one on one conversation.

That’s where I get confused. I thought Will had been to games and there had been more reported convos. I know a majority of convos with most recruits are with assistants, but just seems like an interesting point.

That’s where I get confused. I thought Will had been to games and there had been more reported convos. I know a majority of convos with most recruits are with assistants, but just seems like an interesting point.
That was about Eli King, not will tschetter who i think you're asking about? Will has been in contact with staff often over the last year at least.

A

One conversation and a one on one conversation are not the same. Unless it was one one on one conversation.

Rochester paper reported it as a one on one conversation. My interpretation was a single one on one, but I suppose there could technically be more.

Rochester paper reported it as a one on one conversation. My interpretation was a single one on one, but I suppose there could technically be more.
Couple different assistants called Eli earlier in the day and then Pitino called him later in the afternoon.

Top Bottom